ScottyZ's big tournament win!

So, I was watching ScottyZ play in the $10 rebuy tournament at Stars last night, and I eventually had to go to sleep because he was lasting too long. I asked him to PM me his result, and he got 3rd place, for $2800!!! Not a bad return on $30. Well done, ScottyZ! Post some hands?

Regards,
all_aces

Comments

• Way to go ScottyZ!!
  • all_aces wrote:
    he got 3rd place, for $2800!!! Not a bad return on $30. Regards,
    all_aces

Holy shit!!
    Awesome, way to go!
  • Congrats Scotty!

Yeah I was playing in that tourney and after I got busted out I decided to look at some of the players when I saw you at table 110!

Good for you man....
  • Thanks all_aces & everybody!

I guess it's a good sign if I last long enough to send my fans (erm... fan) to bed. ;)

I downloaded the hand history, so I'll try to find a few interesting ones. To be honest, I didn't make all that many individual tricky plays. (Okay, I did try the Dave Scharf Brand Limp-Steal^TM once, and it worked.) :cool: The most interesting thing which I think I did well was the meta-game of changing gears. I was uncharacteristcally aggressive just after the rebuy period, and pushing my large stack around nicely I think. In stark contrast, I was an Uber-rock during the final table and managed to sneak up the money from 8th of 9 players to finish in 3rd. (Also, at one point I was 15th of 15. Never give up.) I came into the final table (blinds $20K-$40K, $2K ante) with around $200K in chips and outlasted the initial chip leader who started with over $2 million.

I've really liked the PokerStars $10+$1 re-buy tourneys ever since they were offered, and I think I posted something to that effect here on the forum quite a while ago. The major cool things about the rebuy tourneys are:

1. No house drop taken from the rebuys or add-on. Yesterday I essentially played in a $30 + $1 tournament. That's an extremely cheap house drop.

2. Same blind structure as their non-rebuy tourneys. Since there are many more total chips in a rebuy tourney, you get much more play than usual.

3. People playing like crazy (or the freedom to play like crazy yourself) during the rebuy period. No "I'm broke, I'm done" for the first hour.

In all modesty, I did get solidly punched in the face by the deck. There's no question that you need a lot of luck to do well in an individual tournament. To paraphrase what Dave Scharf has often said in his WSOP reports, good players give themselves a *chance* to win. I was not only catching good cards, but catching many lucky calls from my opponents with weaker (though not always bad, e.g. AA vs AKs) hands. I think I was lucky enough to have only one significant hand where I got all my chips in and was behind. (Lost a lot of chips that hand, but had the opponent outstacked.)

Anyway, thanks again to all_aces for the encouragement during the game, and for keeping me distracted by bouncing around between 30-60 tables. ;) And a special shout out to the Ottawa Pride Parade and BluesFest for blocking so many downtown streets that I got frustrated while driving and decided to go home instead of going out to eat so that I got home in time to register for the tourney. :)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    And a special shout out to the Ottawa Pride Parade and BluesFest for blocking so many downtown streets that I got frustrated while driving and decided to go home instead of going out to eat so that I got home in time to register for the tourney. :)

ScottyZ
    It's funny how fate turns out sometimes. The best tournament showing I had was a UB $5 entry that I finished 2nd in for an $800 prize. I turned down a home poker night that evening because I had to leave for the inlaws early the next morning and wanted to get some sleep. So I logged in for a quick poker fix and ended up staying awake till well past 2am, which is later than I would have been up had I gone out to play.

Anyway, Good game Scottyz! Congrats. Don't spend it all in one place! (unless of course, you want to buy dinner for Zithal's Celebrity Tourney.) ;)

hork.
  • I'm starting to believe in fate. Along those lines, the only reason I deposited money into Stars was to play in the pokerforum.ca tournaments. I then used some of that money to buy my way into what would become my biggest tournament win to date. So, in a roundabout way, I owe some thanks to SirBry for deciding one day to organize pokerforum tournaments at Stars, and for deciding to do so exactly when he did.

The other side of fate is that it's really been f***ing me lately. Cash games are going well, but I can't make the money in a tournament to save my life. I was in that $10+1 last night too, and lost when I managed to get all of my money in preflop with KK vs AQ. That is the most routine loss I've taken lately... I usually lose hands when I have a MUCH bigger edge, and I forget what it's like to win a coin flip.

Blah blah blah cry cry cry more about ScottyZ.

He may have been getting hit in the face with the deck, but he certainly knows what to do with good cards when he gets them. And he's smart enough to avoid close edges unless he needs them. I watched him until he was in the money, and he played a *very* solid tournament.

In the pre-add-on period, and in the first little while afterwards, he was playing against people who would move in with JKo... yes JKo... against his AK. I believe the hand went like this: moron with JKo raises pretty big preflop, Scotty re-raises real big, and moron pushes. ROFLMAO. There are a lot of dead money players in the early stages of these tournaments. However, Scotty's competition got tougher as the tournament went on, and he was able to adjust.

Well done.

Regards,
    all_aces

Hork42 wrote:
    It's funny how fate turns out sometimes. The best tournament showing I had was a UB $5 entry that I finished 2nd in for an $800 prize. I turned down a home poker night that evening because I had to leave for the inlaws early the next morning and wanted to get some sleep. So I logged in for a quick poker fix and ended up staying awake till well past 2am, which is later than I would have been up had I gone out to play.

Anyway, Good game Scottyz! Congrats. Don't spend it all in one place! (unless of course, you want to buy dinner for Zithal's Celebrity Tourney.) ;)

hork.
  • Don't spend it all in one place! (unless of course, you want to buy dinner for Zithal's Celebrity Tourney.)
    MAN, that's a lot of Kraft Dinner. But we could get all the fanciest Ketchups. ("Dijon Ketchup!") :)
    I was in that $10+1 last night too, and lost when I managed to get all of my money in preflop with KK vs AQ.
    One thing I noticed is that I find myself vocally cheering and groaning at your hands, but never my own. I think it's sort of due to my poker face training. I've always liked to keep a calm demeanor when hitting good or bad hands online myself, even though there's not really a need to do so. I think this is *excellent* practice for B&M. However, if I'm watching all_aces (or anyone else) playing, I somehow feel like I can let loose and cheer, yell, pull my hair out, etc, as the case may be.

Very tough beat.
    That is the most routine loss I've taken lately... I usually lose hands when I have a MUCH bigger edge, and I forget what it's like to win a coin flip.
    These kind of Bizzare-O World streaks happen. To some degree I've gotten "used to" getting my AA cracked in low-limit, but in reality this has openned my eyes to the warning signs that my AA might be no good. Unfortunately, I probably still call it down too more often than I should despite the warning signs. I think there may be such a thing as bad beat addiction.

You've got to stick behind the good decisions you make, whatever the results. You *can* play your best, lose, and say that you did well. It's not easy to do, especially in the short run. But it's good poker. At the highest level of thinking, you've got to turn every "my opponent played that so badly" into "I played that so well".

You must admit it to yourself when you a play a hand poorly. This is simply learning. But it's just as important (and also some form of learning IMO) to admit it to yourself when you play a hand well.
    Cash games are going well, but I can't make the money in a tournament to save my life.
    Why not stick with the cash games for a while and take a bit of a break from tournaments?

ScottyZ
  • Why not stick with the cash games for a while and take a bit of a break from tournaments?
    I'm INSANELY stubborn. ;)

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    I'm INSANELY stubborn. ;)

Regards,
    all_aces
    Uh-oh. Don't tell me I'm gonna have to open up a can of whatfor. ;)

ScottyZ
  • Scotty, awesome job man. Congrats. I think the vegas odds on you winning the next Pokerforum tourney just went down. Good thing I put money on ya before your big win.
  • Right on. Great work man. Hopefully I'll have similar news tonight from the $100+9 tournament I'm playing (fingers crossed of course)
  • GL Sloth! And Scotty, where are those key hands from the tournament that you promised? OK, you didn't promise jack shit, but hey, we're all interested.

I've always wanted to write a trip report for an online tournament. It could start like this: "I walked over to my computer and turned it on."

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Coingrats Scotty. lol Way to go.
  • I think the vegas odds on you winning the next Pokerforum tourney just went down.
    Hmmm... don't know if I agree with the oddsmakers on that one, since the next tournament is Stud, at which I pretty much suck. :)

I've got to wipe the cobwebs off my 7CSFAP I guess. :cool:

And yes, I'll definitely post a few hands, probably tonight. Particularly a few hands from the *out of control* final table, where I was able to basically fold my way from 8th of 9 all the way to 3rd place.

ScottyZ
  • Congrats Scotty

I love the Stars tourneys myself.

I have placed between 3rd and 9th about 5 times on their $3 no-limit tourneys, and have cracked the money numerous (about 50/50) times on the $10 re-buy ones.

I would love to have a finish like yours however. I just cannot seem to make that final step at the end. I usually end up short stacked going into the top 30 or so and have to push all in on coin flip cards.

I just started reading TJ's book on No-Limit/Pot-Limit hold'em in hopes of figuring out where my hole(s) is(are).

Still this post is not about me its about you. Congrats man, Congrats.
  • What is your username at Stars?
  • Same as here. "Garro"

I play the lower limit Omaha 8 tables .10/.25 PL, .25/.50 PL mostly. Sometime bigger stakes but not very often.

I discovered a while ago that I am a much better Omaha ring table player than Hold'em. Mostly because of how the math works in Omaha. I am a little to reliant on math in my play (my weakness and strength is I have a good head for outs and pot odds). And omaha favours that more than hold'em.

Other than that I play $5/$10 sit and go's/tournaments. Also every time I double my stake, I cash it out right away. So I never really have built a big enough stake to play the higher limits, comfortably.

But hey I really do not want to lose $200 on one hand. I have a wife who is an actor and a new condo to pay for so I play at my comfort level for acceptable loss.
  • Hey, there's nothing wrong with playing low-limits. My guess is more people make the mistake of playing higher limits than they should, not lower. In fact, even $0.25/$0.50 PL isn't all that small of a game.

I myself play almost exclusively $2-$4 limit HE, or $5 SNG's. The $11 rebuy tournament is actually on the larger side of what I'd play online. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • But hey I really do not want to lose $200 on one hand. I have a wife who is an actor and a new condo to pay for so I play at my comfort level for acceptable loss.
    Lol I totally understand. We all have 'real life' financial responsibilities, and it would be unwise to neglect them. I only play semi-high-limit because I've been a lucky S.O.B. in the past year, and my poker bankroll is now a little bit ridiculous. I posted this interesting situation a while ago, but if you haven't read it I'll post it one more time. About a year ago I was playing with a very small online bankroll as well... $1/$2 and $2/$4 games mostly... and one day I decided to take $40 and play exclusively shorthanded poker, moving up in limits as soon as I had 20 X BB. In what will probably remain the most incredible streak of dumb-ass luck in the history of poker, a week later I was playing in the $25/$50 game, and stayed there for 3 months. When it was all said and done, my $40 parlayed itself into a $45K USD total cashout.

That's about it. We all risk what we can honestly, comfortably, afford to risk, and because of those crazy three months, I've been able to risk a lot more, both in tournaments and in ring games. If not for the "shorthanded adventure", I'd still be playing $1/$2 and $2/$4, and I'd be enjoying myself just as much as I do now.

As for losing $200 on one hand, man, I don't blame you for not wanting to know the feeling. It's not good. But like life, poker has its ups and downs, and it'll all work out in the end. Hopefully it'll work out for the better though.... ;)

Congrats on your success in the Stars tournaments; it sounds like you're doing very well indeed.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Good job!!
  • Must say I always enjoy your posts.

Why did you decide to focus on shorthanded games? What strategies did you employ? At $25/$50 did you also only seek out shorthanded games?

How many hours/week were you playing as you went from $40 bankroll at $1-$2 up the ranks?

And this is probably a different question for a different thread, but how did you deal with the huge cashout? i.e. is this considered income...do you have to claim it (I totally understand that you may not wish to answer this question).

Thanks,

Nurse
  • Must say I always enjoy your posts.
    Thanks! :)

As you suggested, I think I'll start another thread in this section called 'Shorthanded Poker and Cashouts' to answer your questions. This thread is moving into some serious OT conversation, and it's my fault lol. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to get even with those who took CanadaKev's 'Congrats to All Aces' post away from congratulating me. Lol j/k ;)

Back to the matter at hand here.... WTG ScottyZ, and you can cough up a few hand histories any time now....

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Very nice Scotty! I can't wait to play against such a heavy weight at the Forum tournament ;)

• Back to the matter at hand here.... WTG ScottyZ, and you can cough up a few hand histories any time now....

MERCY!!!!!!!

ScottyZ
  • all_aces wrote:
    So, in a roundabout way, I owe some thanks to SirBry for deciding one day to organize pokerforum tournaments at Stars, and for deciding to do so exactly when he did.
    Excellent!...btw, did we agree on a 5% or 8% cut? ;)
  • Lol... I saw that coming... How 'bout a firm handshake at the K/W tourney?

Cheers,
    all_aces

btw, thanks for posting some hands ScottyZ... very interesting stuff.
  • all_aces wrote:
    [. I posted this interesting situation a while ago, but if you haven't read it I'll post it one more time. About a year ago I was playing with a very small online bankroll as well... $1/$2 and $2/$4 games mostly... and one day I decided to take $40 and play exclusively shorthanded poker, moving up in limits as soon as I had 20 X BB. In what will probably remain the most incredible streak of dumb-ass luck in the history of poker, a week later I was playing in the $25/$50 game, and stayed there for 3 months. When it was all said and done, my $40 parlayed itself into a $45K USD total cashout.

Just looiking through old threads, and stumbled upon this!!? Unreal.
    ... a week later I was playing in the $25/$50 game, and stayed there for 3 months.

Geez, talk about a heater!!

Anyways, love your posts, and hope to sweat out a final table, watching you. (Ehm, might be a while before I'm playing with ya!!)
  • Cash games are going well, but I can't make the money in a tournament to save my life

That was a quote from aces a year and a half ago...

bhahaha..
  • grats scotty.   belated
  • VN Scotty