CHASING OR NOT ?

Hi, I am new to the game, being playing about 6 months. Lastnight I am playing 5-10 limit game. I have 8d 10d....the flop comes 2 diamonds. I now have a flush draw. The turn is not a diamond. The next bet is 10 dollars and I call. I hit my diamond. I bet and win the hand. The person who I beat had high pair. He then lectures me for half an hour, saying I should not have called him. He says I am a chaser and if i play this way all the time I will lose money. Is he correct? Thank you, I hope someone will respond.

Comments

• Yeah you played the hand right. His bet isn't big enough to give you the wrong odds to chase. You have 9 diamonds to win out of 46 unseen cards, so you win about 1 time in 5. Assuming there is at least $40 in the pot when you call you played the hand correctly.
  • He's likely leaving out the fact he cold called 4 bets preflop... :)
  • hmmm ....... i think WAYNE that u just have to remember ........ the person making this comment played the same hand ......... the same way a few hours later .......... no matter what u do or say he is right only when he makes the call .............. GREAT 2 nd place finish tonight .......... welcome to my table of winners :D
  • That's what is so frustrating about limit, most of the time you'll have odds to call and it's tough to bet anyone off a draw....that said you played it perfectly fine.
  • awwww NASTYHORN......thanks so much.....it means A LOT comming from you....I am now foresure HOOKED on texas....Maybe winning 2 grand lastnight was the worst thing for me.....My wife will never get me to quit now.......hmmm...wife or poker....?????
  • Don't forget too (though it's harder in limit), if I'm pretty sure my opponent will pay me off if the odds are close I'll call anyways knowing he will call my bet or raise. But in limit it's hard to get anyone off a hand even a $10 bet in a $50 pot with a gut shot. I watched one player say "Everyone else has hit their gutshot so why not me" and call and hit.
  • and it is true in the long run he has paid me off plenty ........... more then he will ever see from me .......... but still frustrates me when he does fish like that ......... this guy has the potential to be a great poker player .......... and when a fish is in there everyone loves it right ........... and when they hit ........ you let em know it