Calling on a 4 card flush board

Last night I was playing 2-4 limit on Titan. (I am unsure how to copy the HH from Titan – so I will have to write it out)

I am BB with 67h.

There is one raise in MP from a player who was overly aggressive with any two high cards – always bet until contested– and would commonly call down a single Ace high to the river.

The SB calls the $4.

I call the additional $2 making the pot $12.

Flop: 4s 7d  9d

MP bets $2.

SB. Calls $2

I call $2

I have no clue what the SB is on – but I have to figure hit the board weak or on a draw (new player to table – and I didn’t have much of a read).

BB – I figure still has two over cards to the board.

Turn: 4d.

MP bets $4.

SB folds.

I call $4.

(Pot is $26)

River: 2d

MP pauses and bets $4.

I type to him – is yours bigger than mine?

He says – Guess.

I reply OK.

And call $4.

I take down the pot with two pair.

He had Q 10 (club and heart).

He then went on a big rant about how I am such an F$#@ing idiot.

I said I knew you didn’t hit the board. I was basically guessing if you had a diamond. I figured it was 50:50 and it was costing me $4 to call into $30 so I called.

My question is – was he right?

In my opinion I thought I deserved the pot. I didn’t see this guy raising pre-flop with any hand that contained a 9. If he happened to have the big pair this time I would pay him off. Since, no higher cards came – I felt comfortable making the river call.

I know it worked and I won the pot – but was this the wrong play? (As other players commented that my play was "gutsy")

Side note: Does anyone know how to copy HH from Titan?

Comments

• I fold, you are just beat to many ways on the river... i might even fold the turn, but basically on the river you are beat by 77-AA, any diamond, any 9 (you say you rule out him holding a 9, but A9 doesn't seem to out there for a LAG) also beat by 22, 44, any 4... lol this is one of those situations where you can win alot of chips or lose alot, seems like here you are losing more than you are winning. good call down though.
  • I agree - and had the SB called the turn or shown any aggression - I would have probably folded. I would have to give him credit for something. I just couldnt put this guy on hitting the board - and by the river i figured I was getting the odds to call that he didnt have the flush.
  • You're getting like 7.5:1 on the river. Given how passively you'd played the hand and the lagginess of the MP player, he's betting the river whether he's behind or ahead due to how passive you were. You need him to be bluffing about 15% of the time to make the call profitable. Given the raggedy board, you're ahead to overcards (unless he has a diamond), or a tiny pair. Heavily read dependant, but based on yours and the fact it's headsup...nice call. While it's true you're going to be beat here a lot, I think you pick off a bluff often enough to make the call profitable.