How to play these hands short handed ?

Again regarding the party 6 max SnGs...

Early in the tournament , assume chip stacks are roughly equal, and you are UTG. What is the minimum hand you will raise with ? Will you pop KQs, QJs, AJ, ATs ? 66 - 99 ? These hands are causing me trouble at times. I'm used to 10 man tables and am trying to adjust the starting hands.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• I raise all of them except QJs, 66, and maybe 77 which i would limp.
  • Would you fold or limp with AT, KQ, 44 and below ?
  • OK 6-handed UTG Iwould raise:

AT-AK, KQ, KJs, 88+.

I would limp 22-77, and if I don't expect people to be raising much I probably limp QJs, KTs, and maybe a couple others like suited aces. This is assuming stacks are very deep compared to the blinds early on, as the blinds go up I would never open limp and add some of the weaker hands like 77,66,KTs, A9s to my raising range depending on stack sizes and other factors like how tight the table is playing.
  • It depends alot on your table composition. If the table is very tight/passive then I raise to 2.5-3bb with any playable hand with the idea of wanting people to get frustrated and make a stupid play back at me when I actually have a monster. If this is working I keep doing it with holdings as questionable as T7s, etc. Sometimes I'll raise UTG with as weak a holding as 67s if there isn't much reraising going on -- this is early in the tournament when 3bb is maybe 100 chips or so -- the idea being that if I get reraised significantly I let it go and if I see a flop noone puts me on that hand and I double through pocket tens or some other overpair to the board.

If the table is very aggressive preflop (maybe on the weekends in the $22s, but ususally not during the week), then I limp with most of those holdings early in the game as I don't want to commit too much out of position early in the game.

All of this with the understanding of trouble hands -- if you get smooth called raising UTG with QJs and the flop is wither Q or J hi with no apparent draw and you continue at the flop, you have to be good enough to get away from the hand if you have too musch heat. Never go broker with top pair average kicker early in these 6 max sngs.

I don't know if I answered your questions or not lol...you can always PM me if you have any other specific questions. Just remember, there are no set rules -- one of the great things about playing short handed is that you can play against peoples weaknesses as you are isolated with the quite often.
  • Raise all of them.
  • Meistro wrote:
    Raise all of them.
    I agree
  • Okay guys thanks for the feedback.

Now, on the other hand, what lower end hands you raise on the button short handed ? Assume early in the tourney with low blinds and
    where:

- Just sat down, no reads
    - Blinds are tight/ passive players
    - Blinds are tight or semi-loose/ aggressive players
    - Blinds are loose/aggressive players

What if the blinds are bigger, say T100 to average stack T2000 ?

At first i was raising with a suited A-x on the button, but lately ive stopped that.