B&M Hand Analysis

Recently at Fallsview 5/5 NL.

I am in BB. It is folded to the SB who checks. I check. SB has been pretty tight but plays a lot of hands. He hasn't bet unless he had something.

I have Q8 hearts.

Flop
Ah 7h 4h
SB bets $10. I hesitate and flat call.

Turn
7c
SB bets $20. I re-raise to $40 (I want a call, I think if I bet too much he folds. I think he has a weak Ace).

Before I finish, I would like some thoughts.

Comments

• I'm guessing your 2nd nut flush didnt hold up ?
  • SB has been pretty tight but plays a lot of hands
    Hmmmm... and how do you classify checking the SB?

There are a few hands that leave you dead in the water. Even a weak Ace could do this if it's the right kind of weak.

If you believe you are ahead and he has outs (even if he *thinks* he has outs but he doesn't), you should raise more to make him pay to chase.
  • I'd raise on the flop to make it look like you're semi bluffing or protecting an ace. See if he'll go over the top of you, if he had the nut flush or hit the full house on the turn, thats just unlucky, nothing much you can do about that.
  • Isn't the really interesting decision the one that follows his next play? I like the flat call on the flop and if he's that weak-tight flat call the turn, otherwise I would go to $60. But what really counts is his response to your reraise.
  • I don't like the flat call on the flop, and here's why

A: You gotta think you're ahead, bet at it.

B: Just calling lets him draw for free (esentially)

C: You get no information from him with a call.

So... this means:

A: You don't know if he has a set, two pair, or the Kh

B: If you had raised, and he called, you have some more information. If he's a good player, and in the pot so far (w/o your call) is $30 (2BB preflop, + $10 bet), you only had to bet $40 to make him make a mistake (i.e. draw for the boat / draw to the flush) by giving him 2:1 odds on what is either a 4 outer (2 pair 5.1:1), a 7 outer (flush draw to the K - 2.6:1) or a 7 outer that will improve to 10 outs on the turn (made set 2.6:1 and 3.6:1).

C: By raising like that, you're playing properly based on the theory of poker, and not to mention it avoids certain difficult situations. NOW, if you're opponent still calls, you get more information about him, and you're still in this situation... well, I may go into check / call mode if it isn't too much, or more likely put another decent bet out there on the turn to see what he does.

Mark
  • Are you saying that the SB will only bet out at the flop if he has two pair, a set or the nut draw? I mean: A. In fact, you have to think you're way ahead B. He may well be drawing dead and C. It also means that SB has v. little information on your hand* which means that you have a better chance of getting SB's chips if you slow down and just call the flop bet. I agree you do have to raise the turn, and harder than OP did, for the reasons Doc mentions, and I do agree that a flop raise makes subsequent decisions much easier but I think you fold out too many hands with a strong flop raise.

* Although you may argue that call flop, raise turn defines your hand much more clearly than a flop raise does
  • I think he might've flopped 2 pair then turned a boat. He makes a pot bet to protect vs. a possible flush draw (it's unlikely you flopped a flush). Then he bets 2/3 on the turn thinking you don't know you're drawing dead & it's cheap enough for you to still chase your flush draw.
  • I guess I should have raised the flop. I tried to be fancy and it didn't work. The river came an Ace and he bet out $50. I folded. The funny thing is when I did he told me that my 7 was no good anymore. I just laughed and said, "I guess not".
  • Raise the flop, this changes everything.
  • raise preflop and double your raise on the flop.
  • oh man I'm so blind. I just spent 10 minutes wondering why you wanted a call on the turn when you missed your flush (I didn't notice you flopped it!)

I'd raise the flop but I don't *HATE* the smooth call.