Ontario Team Championship

Almost 100 players from across Ontario participated in a team championship on April 29.  Each of the 8 members of the 12 teams played in a sit-and-go table.  The winner of each table went on to a second round.  The non-winners played up to three heads up matches.

It is a two-day competition, and the second day will be held on Saturday, May 13.  The winning team members each get a hockey jersey and a seat to a championship tournament where the winner gets an expense-paid trip to the U$10,000 WSOP Main Event. :) There were other prizes such as a chip set, poker table, deluxe card set and shot glasses.  Everybody received a hat and T-shirt.

A team from Woodbridge currently has the most team points, with a member winning the second round.  The teams from Etobicoke, Brampton-2 and Oakville-Missississauga are in the top four.  The Milton Rocks knew about the event but unfortunately did not participate.  The teams from Kitchener-Waterloo, central Toronto and Scarborough did not do too well.

Comments

• Too small a buyin to interest the Milton Rocks.......
    Jeff.... official event co-ordinator for the Milton Rocks...
  • The real Kitchener Team, the Kitchener Heart Break Kids, would dominate any other imposter KW team.  Why are you just posting this now, after the fact?

stp
  • What was the buy in Jeff as I would have entered a team from northern ontario had I not been busy. I'm sure Heather, Kevin, shawn Aimee and I coulda kicked some ass or got pretty drunk.......

LOL
  • stpboy wrote:
    The real Kitchener Team, the Kitchener Heart Break Kids, would dominate any other imposter KW team. Why are you just posting this now, after fact?

stp

and the REAL waterloo team that won the Royal Cup (i might add) would dominate any imposter or for that matter any other team from KW
  • How did this event occur, and we didn't know? :'(
  • I mentioned the event to several forum members a while ago, but I didn't think of posting it. There will probably be another team championship in the fall. In addition, there will probably be a heads up championship tournament late this month or June.

Unlike the Royal Cup, the first two players to bust out of each table did not get any points. The three heads up matches were between the players who had the same finish. For example, the 8th place finishers from each table would play each other for one point per heads up game; the second place finishers would play each other.
    JohnnieH wrote:
    How did this event occur, and we didn't know? :'(
  • AcidJoe wrote:
    What was the buy in Jeff as I would have entered a team from northern ontario had I not been busy.  I'm sure Heather, Kevin, shawn Aimee and I coulda kicked some ass or got pretty drunk.......

LOL
    I think this was just the Pirana poker tours "free" bar events. That's why I said "too low of a buyin" lol...
    Not really the best calibre....
  • Bar run poker events are a joke, except Lucky Lou's of course.

stp
  • stpboy wrote:
    Bar run poker events are a joke, except Lucky Lou's of course. 
    :'( memories :'(
  • Team Championship Results ( Combined Two Day Totals )

1. International Limpers (Team Woodbridge) - 103 Points

2. Sennnnnnnnd It (Team Brampton II) - 94 Points

2. Left Over Lunch (Team Toronto II) - 94 Points

4. Les AnimauXXX (Team Mississauga) - 93 Points

5. Bay City Rollers (Etobicoke) - 85 Points

6. The Henden Mob (Oakville) - 79 Points

7. Fiddling Saints (Downtown Toronto) - 70 Points

8. Team Brampton - 63 Points

9. The Callers - 58 Points

10. Fishin` Chips - 53 Points

11. B.B.S. (Team Kitchener-Waterloo) - 50 Points

12. Team 6 Luv - 29 Points

The outcome came right down to the wire at the Final Table of Round 2. In the end, it was a strong showing by two members from Team Woodbridge that made the difference.

Team Sennnnnnnnd It made a valiant effort to catch the International Limpers as they too had 3 team members playing in Round 2. Thanh came in second place for the night and combined with his Day 1 first round win, was named 2006 Team Play MVP.

Day 1 Winner Fred of the International Limpers was the 2006 Team Play MVP Runner-Up

Day 2 Winner Laura did her team the Henden Mob proud and earned them a respectable sixth place finish.

Team Left Over Lunch was composed of " Left Over " players whom nobody else wanted. They proved to be the envy of many teams and actually had the lead going into the second round thanks to four 2nd places finishes during Round 1. They would have won it all, had the International Limpers and Team Sennnnnnnnd It not placed in the points during Round 2.

Honourable Mention goes out to Les AnimauXXX who never gave up until the very end. They had 3 players go 3 and 0 during their Heads Up Matches and as a Team earned 15 Total Heads Up Points on Day 2. Love Them or Hate Them, they are a force to be reckoned with.

In addition to various prizes, all ten members of Team Woodbridge secured direct entry to the Pirana Poker Tour Grand Championship on June 17, where the winner gets an expense-paid trip and U$10,000 seat to the WSOP Main Event. There will probably be another team championship event in a couple of months.