You have to Love when the other guy is reraising your QUADS:)

***** Hand History for Game 4115284998 *****
$2/$4 Texas Hold'em - Friday, April 28, 00:56:24 ET 2006
Table Trick Rope (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 6: VladTempest ( $156.25 )
Seat 10: CamelToeLick ( $218.25 )
Seat 4: MBTTobdog ( $64 )
Seat 7: SagarMP ( $106.50 )
Seat 8: waltflanigan ( $131 )
Seat 2: gerg578 ( $107.50 )
Seat 5: playingames2 ( $85.48 )
Seat 1: bdubwheels ( $145 )
Seat 9: hermes0607 ( $24.73 )
Seat 3: LiptonDew ( $88 )
waltflanigan posts small blind [$1].
hermes0607 posts big blind [$2].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to CamelToeLick [ 8d 8s ]
CamelToeLick raises [$4].
bdubwheels folds.
gerg578 raises [$6].
LiptonDew folds.
MBTTobdog folds.
playingames2 folds.
VladTempest folds.
SagarMP folds.
waltflanigan folds.
hermes0607 folds.
CamelToeLick calls [$2].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 8c, 5d ]
CamelToeLick checks.
gerg578 bets [$2].
CamelToeLick calls [$2].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8h ]

CamelToeLick checks.
gerg578 bets [$4].
CamelToeLick raises [$8].
gerg578 raises [$8].
CamelToeLick raises [$8].
gerg578 calls [$4].
** Dealing River ** [ 5h ]
CamelToeLick bets [$4].
gerg578 calls [$4].
CamelToeLick shows [ 8d, 8s ] four of a kind, eights.
gerg578 doesn't show [ Ad, Ac ] two pairs, aces and eights.
CamelToeLick wins $56.50 from the main pot with four of a kind, eights.

Comments

• VNH. But you got lucky to hit your set here. For me 88 goes into the muck UTG, never mind your raise. You can see the danger here of playing weak pairs out of position, you got isolated out of position by a bigger pair and are a huge underdog to hit your set with no pot odds. 7/8 hands you waste $4, if not more.
  • Limit Poker you fold 88 UTG? Wow, that is tight. Nice hand Tom. I like the way you played it, of course personally I like to limp with a hand like 88, not fold!!!

stp
  • From early position I try very hard not to limp, unless the table is very loose and passive. Raise or fold. 88 is just death. Rarely will you flop top pair. You have no idea if someone behind you will raise and you don't know if you will get the pot odds to hit your set. Even if you flop the overpair it is hard to force players out with a single bet. Very often players with overcards will chase to the turn, even the river.

That being said, I think I will play with my PT stats tonight and see what I can find by sorting my early position hands. Might be interesting.
  • I wont limp from UTG I will either raise or fold them - depends on the table and sometimes just my mood.

But my mood was good - because I was up a few hundred and there were 3 players at the table that were absolutely horrible.

When I was re-raised i knew I was either way behind or 50-50 - but I was happy to have limited the field. When he re-raised the turn 8 I was pretty sure he had the Aces.

I am very happy the board didnt have a single A and a single 8 - that could have cost me a little more - if the other guy played it properly.
  • I'll never dump 88 before the flop in a limit game - but I think that is because of my nickname! Nice hand.

A low to middle set usually pays huge to someone holding an overpair - well worth the flop IMHO. And the turn? Priceless
  • You can't brag about a guy raising your quads when he has AA and you have 88. You got lucky.
    Nh.
  • I never insinuated that I wasnt Lucky. It was very lucky. I was fortunate to hit my 8s - but I was even more lucky that he had aces - with any other hand he wasnt betting into me.
  • I much prefer opening with 88 than calling UTG