I don't think even Lee Iacocca could bail this guy out...

these guys were playing very tight. i don't know if i could have squeezed any more out of my worthy opponents

PokerStars Game #4755387315: Tournament #23772427, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2006/04/26 - 22:57:11 (ET) Table '23772427 1' 9-max
Seat #5 is the button
Seat 4: tleeaustin (2875 in chips)
Seat 5: Mopar4pwr (4940 in chips)
Seat 7: pkrfce9 (5685 in chips)
pkrfce9: posts small blind 100
tleeaustin: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to pkrfce9 [As Ks]
Mopar4pwr: calls 200
pkrfce9: raises 600 to 800
tleeaustin: folds
Mopar4pwr: calls 600
*** FLOP *** [Kd Td Kh]
pkrfce9: bets 400
Mopar4pwr: calls 400
*** TURN *** [Kd Td Kh] [Kc]
pkrfce9: checks
Mopar4pwr: checks
*** RIVER *** [Kd Td Kh Kc] [Jh]
pkrfce9: bets 600
Mopar4pwr: raises 600 to 1200
pkrfce9: raises 600 to 1800
Mopar4pwr: calls 600
*** SHOW DOWN ***
pkrfce9: shows [As Ks] (four of a kind, Kings)
pkrfce9 said, "BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!"
Mopar4pwr: mucks hand
Mopar4pwr said, "vn"
pkrfce9 collected 6200 from pot
pkrfce9 said, "ty"
tleeaustin said, "nh"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6200 | Rake 0
Board [Kd Td Kh Kc Jh]
Seat 4: tleeaustin (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Mopar4pwr (button) mucked [Jd 9s]
Seat 7: pkrfce9 (small blind) showed [As Ks] and won (6200) with four of a kind, Kings

So he had a draw and caught the J on the river. I might have gotten a bit more on the river but at least I got more than half his stack. He put up a good fight after this and ended up getting caught on my queens several hands later. I was dealt some very powerful hands. I think stars might be rigged....

Comments

• Your opponents both seem like genuine good sports. Your whole BAM! routine when you win provides a different type of table image.

Congratulations on the hand.
  • 3 Kings on the board and this guy is chasing.
    So many ways to loose.

Good job getting that out of him.

Hobbes
  • Monteroy wrote:
    Your whole BAM! routine when you win provides a different type of table image.
    The BAM thing works much better at a live tournament. As for online, I've actually been warned by stars about putting 20pt font in the chat window. :D Generally, the folks know I'm clowing around with the chat. It starts pretty early in the tourney. Some guys don't like it but I find it does help me to extract some info as we go along. Lots of folks will tell me what they laid down or what cards they put me on.

In defense of my opponent's play, I had been raising on more than 50% of the hands since we got down to 4-handed. Most of the time they would fold so I was concerned about chasing someone away here.

I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on ways to extract more chips in this situation. I realize it's not a frequenct occurrence, he has to have a very good hand, blah blah blah, but is there a way to play this that could get the guy to push his stack in.
  • Your whole BAM! routine when you win provides a reason to kick you in the junk.

I think you could have stacked him on the river. The limit raising war is cute, but he's already committed half his stack, and I can't see him laying down a boat in such a big pot.  I'd likely push to the reraise and give him the opportunity to make a big mistake.  I probably would have led out for a little more on the flop too (maybe half pot around 800), the tiny bet screams strength, and the board actually is fairly draw heavy.  A small bet on the turn isn't horrible either. You either give him incentive to come over the top, or if he's on a draw (that he really shouldn't be chasing at that point) he may peel here, but would have folded to your river bet UI.
  • He is calling any raise on the river there assuming he was not bluffing with his min raise. If he was bluffing he is not calling a raise of any kind, so it feels like you got as little chips as possible from him once he raised. No real need to overthink what your opponents are doing in a $5 sit and go, many have no clue and many are not overly concerned of the results given the stakes which is why the all in reraise would be the way to go (as both these types quickly call with a jack). Whether you Bam!! after and analyze all of the Bam methodology is up to you though it likely plays much less a role then you suspect.