Happy Accident

So, I'm currently playing in a $200 2-table SNG, as well as a 15/30 cash game, as well as surfing the net and talking to my g/f, and I got the two game screens confused.

We were at the 15/30 level of the tournament. I know that means that the BB is 30, whereas in the cash game it was 15, but here's the hand nonetheless:

*********** # 20 **************
PokerStars Game #532754796: Tournament #2021536, Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2004/07/09 - 00:04:09 (ET)
Table '2021536 1' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: $NaUd$ (1805 in chips)
Seat 2: grouper49 (335 in chips)
Seat 3: pokeroutlaw (665 in chips)
Seat 5: all aces (1965 in chips)
Seat 6: epokerman (1435 in chips)
Seat 7: jdhoosier (1370 in chips)
Seat 8: ddpanther (2055 in chips)
Seat 9: Sandrine (1765 in chips)
pokeroutlaw: posts small blind 15
all aces: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to all aces [Jh As]
epokerman: folds
jdhoosier: folds
ddpanther: folds
Sandrine: folds
$NaUd$: folds
grouper49: folds
pokeroutlaw: raises 30 to 60
all aces: raises 30 to 90
pokeroutlaw: calls 30
*** FLOP *** [Jd 4c 2d]
pokeroutlaw: checks
all aces: bets 30

As you can see, up until this point, I think I've been playing a limit game. And then he did this:

pokeroutlaw: raises 545 to 575 and is all-in

And it totally freaked me out. It's like when you wake up from a dream and you think it was real. Anyways... here's what happened:

all aces: calls 545
*** TURN *** [Jd 4c 2d] [8s]
*** RIVER *** [Jd 4c 2d 8s] [4h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
pokeroutlaw: shows [Kd 9d] (a pair of Fours)
all aces: shows [Jh As] (two pair, Jacks and Fours)
all aces collected 1330 from pot

Have any of you ever confused one screen with another, and if so what happened?

Regards,
all_aces

Comments

• LOL

I guess you put your opponent on tilt by re-raising the minimum, and then betting out the same way on the flop. :cool:

What's with your oppponent here? The classic "maximum risk for minimum reward" play.

And the hilarious thing is that if he just calls you on the flop, you'll probably keep right on thinking it's limit, betting the minumum the whole way (since apparently you didn't notice that the pre-flop and flop bets were too big). Now that's a cheap draw! ;)

Too many players are *way* too much in love with the word "semi-bluff".

ScottyZ
  • Were you also watching "The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!" on CityTV during all of this?

I've you're truly my clone after all, you've got to love that particular movie. :)

Ed: A hunch won't stand up in court, Frank. Going into Ludwig's office without a warrant, you're taking a big chance.
    Frank: I know. You take a chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan.

ScottyZ
  • And the hilarious thing is that if he just calls you on the flop, you'll probably keep right on thinking it's limit, betting the minumum the whole way (since apparently you didn't notice that the pre-flop and flop bets were too big). Now that's a cheap draw! ;)
    Lol I thought you'd get a kick out of this. I laughed pretty hard when I nearly jumped out of my chair at his all-in bet. I'm like, WTF?!?!? And yes, I probably would have bet the minimum for the remainder of the hand.... :redface:

I'm afraid it wasn't The Naked Gun... just some junk on in the background. I guess we don't have EVERYTHING in common... ;)

FWIW I missed the money in this tournament, but I'm currently doing very well playing 2 30/60 games at the same time. This way, it won't matter if I get them confused.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I remembered that in our results discussion for pokerforum tourney IV I said this:

Another highlight:

esool drops by to watch the proceedings. After watching for *at least* 10 minutes, he asks "how come the minimum bet doubles on the turn in this tournament, but not in the other ones?"

It was a limit tournament. I guess he thought everyone was playing really scared.

ROFLMAO

all_aces
    esool was watching that time. I was playing this time. I guess I have egg on my face... ;)

Regards,
    all_aces