QQ Hand

I find QQ is one of the toughest hands to play in poker. Just curious on what peoples lines are before I unfold the action. As for any reads on opponents, I have none. Everyone seems to be playing straitforward up until this point.

PokerStars Game #4726636178: Tournament #23620308, $25+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/04/24 - 01:58:51 (ET)
Table '23620308 1' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: CHADE06 (350 in chips)
Seat 3: PocketLuhhy (1465 in chips)
Seat 4: willowtip (2455 in chips)
Seat 5: talisman3 (2160 in chips)
Seat 6: grego6044 (1190 in chips)
Seat 7: rhino283 (2890 in chips)
Seat 8: bushes77 (1235 in chips)
Seat 9: SamENoles#1 (1755 in chips)
PocketLuhhy: posts small blind 50
willowtip: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SamENoles#1 [Qd Qs]
talisman3: raises 200 to 300
grego6044: folds
rhino283: raises 300 to 600
bushes77: folds
SamENoles#1: ???

Comments

• Failing reads Id push....reads would be key in doing anything else here.
  • I agree

I was in a hand where I knew my QQ was beat only because of who was in it.... with no reads, I push.

Mark
  • Ditto the above sentiments.

I call and hold my breath.
  • Okay, I elected to call. I used to be eager to push PF, but lately I have been trying to reduce the volatilty of my hands. Simply because if he has AK, he wont fold PF, but if he misses the flop, he will most likely fold. And, if he has AA or KK, it gives me another chance to get out if an A or K comes on the flop.

SamENoles#1: calls 600
    CHADE06: calls 350 and is all-in
    PocketLuhhy: folds
    willowtip: folds
    talisman3: folds
    *** FLOP *** [9c 7s Td]
    rhino283: bets 800

Okay, at this point the flop is def safe, but his bet looks like a really strong hand. Unfortunately, especially in the turbo sngs, you are under a lot of pressure by the blinds to build your stack. I dont think it is correct to pass up this situation.

SamENoles#1: raises 355 to 1155 and is all-in
    rhino283: calls 355
    *** TURN *** [9c 7s Td] [3s]
    *** RIVER *** [9c 7s Td 3s] [7h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    rhino283: shows [Kh Kc] (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
    SamENoles#1: shows [Qd Qs] (two pair, Queens and Sevens)
    rhino283 collected 2810 from side pot
    CHADE06: shows [Qc As] (a pair of Sevens)
    rhino283 collected 1500 from main pot

I have really been trying to work on situations like this, because I feel they come up a lot. This time it was unfortunate he had KK, but I feel there are plenty of times he makes the same play with JJ, AK, AQ and so on.
  • The mini-reraise is really scary, and I'd probably want to fold and then tell myself not to be such a pussy and shove. Just calling is the worst option though. Actually if the mini-reraiser seems tight/solid I think folding here is fine, it's going to be AA/KK a lot.
  • this is the kind of response i wanted. thanks sirwatts. I think folding is probably the best play when facing that min re reaise, like you said, it is too often AA or KK. If, for example my stack was much deeper, say 40 BBs, then would the call be appropriate? Please ellaborate on why calling is the worst option. Thanks.
  • I don't like calling because the original raiser is usually going to come along as well getting good pot odds, this is a situation where if you think you have the best hand preflop you should be pushing for value and if you think you're behind you should fold. Heads up you could consider calling and getting all-in on any flop without an A or K to avoid flipping aginast AK preflop but I don't like letting the other guy in to spike something on you. On a deeper stack definitely calling is right because you have the odds to flop a set even if you're behind.
  • I'm pushing this a whole lot more than I'm folding it because:
    especially in the turbo sngs, you are under a lot of pressure by the blinds to build your stack

I just can't see laying down QQ here in a turbo, and starting hand ranges will widen considerably when everyone's under pressure (although I do agree the min reraise looks scary).