Golf or Poker

Got out golfing for my first time of the season last night - and starting thinking - how many weeknight and weekend poker games can I really play now that the weather is nice?

I am new to KW and the KW poker scene in the sense that I have never been around this area to enjoy the beauty that is summer.

Do the games keep going strong - I would imagine many of our student friends are gone and the weather must make it difficult to play indoors.

Also, would anybody be interested in some sort of Golf/Poker day - the details would clearly have to be sorted out.

Any comments regarding the summer poker scene and any one else who is eager to spend some time enjoying outdoors as intended (Beer in hand).

Comments

• that's not a bad idea. I was thinking something similar.

Golf/poker tourney.

Most golf clubs only require a group of 20 people to make a tournament up.
  • Play a hand each hole and the winner gets to remove one club from everyone else's bag (except maybe the putter). Add a couple $ a stroke and now you have a game!
  • And a lot of clubs would let us stick around and play some cards - so long as we keep buying their beer.
  • Tom, you read my mind!!!!

I've been thinking about golf ALL WEEK. My itch to play is so bad, I need calamine lotion.

If you are looking for someone play with, let me know. I can show you around the courses in the KW area. IMO, Beaverdale and Doon Vally are great, for the price. Maryhill and Rockway are nice and short, but are ALWAYS busy. I haven't played RIM Park yet, but I here it's pretty sweet, and a tad out of my price range.

JohnnieH
  • I played Beaverdale last night.

My bud - who happens to be in town doing his placement for teachers college and wants to check out the poker scene - and I played 1/2 price at Beaverdale for $25 we headed out on the course with 18 holes and 3 cans of Beer (the legal way).

The course is not the best - but not bad for the first time out - and the price was great.

There is a place called Tamarack Ridge - it is off the 401 in Putnam - the course is relatively new but they built it on a great landscape (lots of hills, trees (not saplings), water etc..) it is a great course and you can get 18 holes and a meal for $25 on weeknights - we should get a crew for a Friday night to hit this up.

Also - if anyone knows where I can pick up a decent used putter - I mean last years models - and a half decent Lob Wedge - up to 3-5yrs I am in the market.

Glad to see some interest in Golf and Poker :)

Johnnie - I figured since you have golf kem cards that you would be interested.
  • Excellent idea guys! Please e-mail me if something gets organized, since I do not always reliably check the forums.

IMHO, Tamarack is a decent course, but a little short and conditions can vary. It would be a good deal for 25 dollars though.
    Doon is nice, and 2 minutes from my house. I played Merry Hill many years ago, and recall it being nice (but my memory is hazy). Elmira is good (but maybe a litte pricey except for twilight rates). Haven't played many other local courses, but would like to give them a try.

Dave
  • I'd be interested this summer, I usually play Brookfield which has 27 holes and you don't need a reservation. The cost is about $25 and the course is always in great shape. The only downfall I would say is that it is a shorter course, similar to MerryHill I'd say.

stp
  • A shorter course - geez that means we actually need a decent mid-game :D
  • If you get anything golf related going I'm in....played RIM park Johnnie and it's garbage...it's a nice enough course but they crowd so many groups through I remember being third in line on the tee looking down seeing 4 groups on the hole and 1 on the green, yikes, a looooong looooong day. Bang for the buck you can't beat Doon/Rockway IMHO..Foxwood isn't bad either but I think it's pricey....keep an eye out for the Dave FM summer olf promo, I believe every Tuesday they have a round of golf for $10.75 at a different course around the KW area. Savannah and Cambridge are not bad either!!!!
    I could see a fun tournament where you golf a round during the day and then get a certain amount of chips for a poker tourney after....solo or teams it would be a fun day!
  • Big E wrote:
    I could see a fun tournament where you golf a round during the day and then get a certain amount of chips for a poker tourney after....

If it was # of strokes over par=starting chip stack, I'd F(&&^ you all up.
  • I'd definitely be up for some golf/poker when I get my clubs up here in a couple weeks.
  • I'd play. My clubs suck though. They are always hitting the ball wrong.
  • Last year I ran a stag for one of my buddies, affectionately know as "Tex".  20 guys each bought in for $100 and the day went down as follows:

1) Golf - Tex's Texas Scramble. 
    Team in last after 6 holes cooks (later that day)
    Team in last after hole 12 cleans
    Team in first after 18 gets served hand and foot all day when we get back to Tex's place.
    For each hole a team won, they got a random card. At the end, the team worst 5 card poker hand possible
    had to buy the first round in the clubhouse.

2) Grub - Tex's Texas Style
    We had a bunch of Texas themed foods on the go for the afternoon BBQ
    All you could eat and drink...ha ha, get em looped before the cards fly, he he heeee.

3) Poker - Tex's Texas Holdem Invitational (with trophy, lol)
    $25 buy-in, $5 Bounty (included in $100 for the day)

Overall, the day was awesome - not much better than spending the afternoon with 20 guys
    who all love golf and cards!!!
  • Ante River,
    That sounds like an amazing day! If you plan something like that again this year, please save a few seats for us KWers!

JohnnieH
  • I'd be happy to organize something like this again this summer - things like this are awesome - a nice change from the day to day crap, lol.

I second the Doon course, decent shape and not too busy if you get out early. Anyone live
    down that way want to host the BBQ and Poker??
  • I second the Doon course, decent shape and not too busy if you get out early. Anyone live
    down that way want to host the BBQ and Poker??

*cough*... Drtyore..Drtyore....*cough* *cough*....lives down the street from Doon Vally....*cough*
  • Nice, Johnnie. I was going to post that as well.

But figured I would see if Mark would take the initiative - looks like your balls are bigger:)
  • TNORTH wrote:
    Nice, Johnnie. I was going to post that as well.

But figured I would see if Mark would take the initiative - looks like your balls are bigger:)

LOL...no just faster.
    Mark does have roommates, so we'll see. Maybe we can rent Bristol St.?