A hand from a rebuy tourney

This hand just happened to me in the 3R tourney on stars. I pretty well just got to this table, however the villain, reenie, had been saying how he doesn't really care about the tourney, $9 doesn't really matter to him, etc. this is also after the rebuy/add on period.

PokerStars Game #4551053058: Tournament #22380115, Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2006/04/07 - 15:47:39 (ET)
Table '22380115 76' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: baboonca (5313 in chips)
Seat 2: John3:16 (4440 in chips)
Seat 3: reenie_1 (10467 in chips)
Seat 4: Total23Chaos (10810 in chips)
Seat 5: Nepomuk1805 (23475 in chips)
Seat 6: McAuliffe (10055 in chips)
Seat 7: dmille19 (8750 in chips)
Seat 8: thebigugs (12675 in chips)
Seat 9: JU38F (6817 in chips)
baboonca: posts the ante 25
John3:16: posts the ante 25
reenie_1: posts the ante 25
Total23Chaos: posts the ante 25
Nepomuk1805: posts the ante 25
McAuliffe: posts the ante 25
dmille19: posts the ante 25
thebigugs: posts the ante 25
JU38F: posts the ante 25
JU38F: posts small blind 100
baboonca: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thebigugs [Tc Ah]
John3:16: folds
reenie_1: calls 200
Total23Chaos: folds
Nepomuk1805: folds
McAuliffe: folds
dmille19: calls 200
thebigugs: raises 475 to 675 - I don't normally raise with ATo on the button but I just wanted to see if i could take the pot now or
JU38F: folds outplay after the flop.
baboonca: calls 475
reenie_1: calls 475
dmille19: folds
*** FLOP *** [Qc 5d 3s]
baboonca: checks
reenie_1: checks
thebigugs: bets 1500
baboonca: folds
reenie_1: calls 1500
*** TURN *** [Qc 5d 3s] [Th]
reenie_1: checks
thebigugs: bets 1200
reenie_1: raises 1200 to 2400

what do you think is the best play here? initially i thought he may have been slow playing a set or two pair... what's your move? what do you thin reenie had?

Comments

• It seems like a slow played set. I would be careful to call this.
  • specialK wrote:
    I pretty well just got to this table
    specialK wrote:
    initially i thought he may have been slow playing a set or two pair...
    Huh?  You just got here, so I'm assuming you have no reads - why do you think that? Slowplay is possible, but in these tournies (considering the buy-in) when I've seen the min-check-raise, it's usually weakness (min-open-raise or a larger check-raise would scare me more). To me it screams "weak and I don't know how to bet".
    specialK wrote:
    I don't normally raise with ATo on the button but I just wanted to see if i could take the pot now or outplay after the flop.
    That's fair.  However, you didn't take the pot now, and after the flop he's calling.  Abort mission,  Now you need to decide whether you have the best hand.  

Knowing nothing about the player, default to the limits your playing for a range of hands.  He could have A-rag (either hitting the 5/3 or A high), possibly KQ, AJ, T9, and a few others.  You're ahead of most of the possible hands in this range, but you're hand is still relatively weak.  I think you may be ahead, but I wouldn't risk my tournament on this hand - I'd wait a few laps till I had a sense of the table (lots of time with these blinds).  If you call you're pretty much deciding you're good, so effectively all your chips are on the line (if you call here, what card could come to really scare you off?).  I fold.
  • The raise preflop is fine if you think they just limped in with random crap. Flop bet looks good it's a good flop to cont bet. I would check the turn to induce a bluff/lose less when behind. Betting less on the turn than on the flop shows huge weakness so i think you should call and see what happens on the river, he could be trying to make a play. Unfortunately you've put yourself in a spot where he's probably going to test you on the river now whether he has a hand or not.
  • beanie42 wrote:
    specialK wrote:
    specialK wrote:
    Huh?  You just got here, so I'm assuming you have no reads - why do you think that? Slowplay is possible, but in these tournies (considering the buy-in) when I've seen the min-check-raise, it's usually weakness (min-open-raise or a larger check-raise would scare me more). To me it screams "weak and I don't know how to bet".
    I agree that it is possible it is a weak raise but it could be a weak raise in anticipation of another re-raise to go over the top of. I am not certain since I have no read. I would be careful to go all the way with second pair.
  • Reenie has AQ
  • beanie42 wrote:
    specialK wrote:
    specialK wrote:
    Huh? You just got here, so I'm assuming you have no reads - why do you think that?

It just seems like the standard slow play for 2p or a set, FC flop bet & CR the turn...

Anyway back to the hand, the reason i made the weaker bet on the turn was to see where i stood in the hand with second pair. I thought that if indeed he was slowplaying and he wanted to CR the turn he would have CRed me more. As beanie did i thought him minraising on the turn here was a sign that he didn't know where he was in the hand either which made me think he had a 5 or a 7... here's how it turned out:

thebigugs: bets 1200
    reenie_1: raises 1200 to 2400
    thebigugs: calls 1200
    *** RIVER *** [Qc 5d 3s Th] [7h]
    reenie_1: bets 1400
    thebigugs: calls 1400
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    reenie_1: shows [5s 9s] (a pair of Fives) - so i was right and MHIG
    thebigugs: shows [Tc Ah] (a pair of Tens)
    thebigugs collected 13150 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 13150 | Rake 0
    Board [Qc 5d 3s Th 7h]
    Seat 1: baboonca (big blind) folded on the Flop
    Seat 2: John3:16 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: reenie_1 showed [5s 9s] and lost with a pair of Fives
    Seat 4: Total23Chaos folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Nepomuk1805 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: McAuliffe folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: dmille19 folded before Flop
    Seat 8: thebigugs (button) showed [Tc Ah] and won (13150) with a pair of Tens
    Seat 9: JU38F (small blind) folded before Flop
  • I definately wouldn't have put him on 5s'.... would not have expected that hand to have even seen the flop with your raise.. glad that you didn't let his semibluffs scare you away from what was a great little pot! well played indeed