Writers here?

Okay, well obviously our dear friend Dave Scharf IS...how about anyone else here? I'm not specifically referring to writing about poker..even hobby writing etc.

I USED to write quite a bit...mostly for stage...in fact, at 18 I wrote a 40 minute 1 act comedy that was entered into the "Canadian One Act Play Festival" up against 17 other productions...some written by authors who had many years experience and previously published works...one was written by a University drama professor, yet the script by yours truly walked away with "Best Original Production 1995" :)

This inflated my ego for awhile...but for some reason, I stopped writing..then of course, reality/life kicked in and suddenly found myself without enough time in the day to write anything at all. I think the thought behind stopping my writing was "well, even if i finish a script, I don't have the resources to do anything about it"

I've had a story for a feature length screenplay rolling around in my head for well over a year now and only recently have I started to actually put it on paper. My goal is to finish this damn thing and see if I could actually get it produced (maybe with a little help from the national film board of Canada) soooo...with a lot of work and just as much luck and time, maybe I'll be posting here looking to cast y'all as extras in it :)

Comments

• i cant write jack:banghead:

but i wanna try to write one or maybe get someone to write one for me
    from my ideas LOL :spade: get it produced ...yet another independent film...
    Intl film festival...Sundance...Hollywood...red carpet...Oscar :canada:

maybe someday...maybe:banghead:

EVIL evilgrin07.gif
  • sloth wrote:
    maybe I'll be posting here looking to cast y'all as extras in it :)
    CMI :D

i can always use a few extra bucks :canada:

CO :spade:
  • Well, unless I get some major dollars from the film board, I don't know if I'd be paying anyone (especially Xtras)

Do you mean to say you have concepts/ideas for a story but just can't write them? I'd like to hear some of them :)
  • Hey Sloth,

I used to write a lot as well... English in university, and a drama major... Now I just like to write about poker! ;) I've posted a lot of stuff about poker over the years at various websites... some (I think) interesting stories and situations, and maybe one day I'll get it all together, sift through it, and attempt to write a book that is, say, 70% anecdotal and 30% strategic advice. Of course, who knows if this day will ever come. Everyone says that one day they'd like to write a book, but very few people actually get around to doing it.

About your screenplay, if you can't get the money to do it on film, and would like to shoot it on video instead, let me know. I'd love to shoot something like that, and would likely be able to hook you up with some cheap(er) gear.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:

About your screenplay, if you can't get the money to do it on film, and would like to shoot it on video instead, let me know. I'd love to shoot something like that, and would likely be able to hook you up with some cheap(er) gear.

Regards,
    all_aces
    Awesome! :) you may have just inspired me further to get this thing written once and for all!
  • sloth wrote:
    Well, unless I get some major dollars from the film board, I don't know if I'd be paying anyone (especially Xtras)

Do you mean to say you have concepts/ideas for a story but just can't write them? I'd like to hear some of them :)
    a few ideas here and there and a few dialogues here and there...it's nothing concrete evilgrin07.gif

but this thread has gots me thinkin' maybe i should give it another go at it...then there's the major dollars needed to produce the sumbitch

and yet we're probably talkin' about a low budget film LOL :D

the major question i ask is, 'what do the peeps want to see?' :club:

a few of my fave movies are: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Heat evilgrin07.gif

maybe a screenplay with all that plus some POKAH :D

that could be EVILevilgrin07.gif
  • all_aces wrote:
    Everyone says that one day they'd like to write a book, but very few people actually get around to doing it.
    Regards,
    all_aces
    heheh...i want to write a book too...maybe 2 :D

but i cant write :banghead:

look fwd to your book all_aces :D
  • When writing a screenplay, I always keep budget in mind...right now, my imagination is limited to a realistic budget. By this, I mean I wouldn't even allow a story like "star wars' to come into my head because I know the big $$ that would be required and it would be next to impossible to produce without some big time backers. I intentionally narrow my "creative process" to stories that *could* be produced by maxing my credit cards (and friends credit cards)...and could even perhaps be shot over just a few days. You take a film like "Reservoir Dogs" with really just one location and hardly any effects at all to speak of, and it proves that people are still fans of a good story, not just explosions and special effects to *wow* people out of noticing that the story itself is a bore/non-existant.

I could never write a book....too much description is needed to keep the reader interested...I find dialouge much easier to work with.
  • sloth wrote:
    When writing a screenplay, I always keep budget in mind...right now, my imagination is limited to a realistic budget. By this, I mean I wouldn't even allow a story like "star wars' to come into my head because I know the big $$ that would be required and it would be next to impossible to produce without some big time backers. I intentionally narrow my "creative process" to stories that *could* be produced by maxing my credit cards (and friends credit cards)...and could even perhaps be shot over just a few days. You take a film like "Reservoir Dogs" with really just one location and hardly any effects at all to speak of, and it proves that people are still fans of a good story, not just explosions and special effects to *wow* people out of noticing that the story itself is a bore/non-existant.

I could never write a book....too much description is needed to keep the reader interested...I find dialouge much easier to work with.
    well said :canada:
  • how much money did it take Rounders to get produced? :confused:
  • New this season on Fox and The Travel Channel:

2:spade: 4:heart:

24 one-hour long episodes of actual live poker.

The following hands take place from 8:00pm to 9:00pm. Events occur in real time.

Don't miss:

The series premier: 8:00pm-9:00pm, "Checks on Table 17!"

11:00pm-12:00am, "I haven't played a hand for at least an hour"

4:00am-5:00am, "Six cups of coffee"

5:00am-6:00am, "Where's the bathroom?"

10:00am-11:00am, "Arrival of the seniors"

4:00pm-5:00pm, "My Aces got cracked by 2:spade: 4:heart:"

And...

The season finale: 7:00pm-8:00pm, "Sir, you can't sleep here."

Starring: Dave Scharf as Kiefer Sutherland, ScottyZ as Tobey Maguire, Vince Van Patten as "The Champ", and Matt Damon as Ben Affleck.

Written and directed by: sloth

Crew: all_aces and his cronies

[scary ticking sounds]

ScottyZ
  • You forgot:

12:00pm-1:00pm, "Deck change!"

and

6:00pm-7:00pm, "Can I see his cards?"

hork.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    New this season on Fox and The Travel Channel:

Crew: all_aces and his cronies

[scary ticking sounds]

ScottyZ
    cronies = purple monkeys :confused:

:tongue:
    Probably a ton when you consider the amount they likely paid out to the cast...strip it down to the other costs...not much at all.

The most expensive aspects of making a film are typically:

* Cast (don't cast Jim Carrey and you should be okay.)

* Location: settings/sets (don't take your story from London to Sydney and you should be okay)

* Film stock. (shoot digital?)
    According to IMDB.com, $12 million.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128442/business

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    According to IMDB.com, $12 million.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128442/business

ScottyZ
    John Malkovich: 2 million

Matt Damon: 2 million

Ed Norton: 2 million