Tournament hand vs. Carl Olson analysis/contest

Carl is the villian in this hand, he's a very good very aggressive player, you might have seen him on TV at an EPT event. This is from a 100+9 PL Holdem tournament on Stars (that he won). I raised his blind last orbit as well and picked up the pot with a continuation bet.

PokerStars Game #4509920547: Tournament #22379807, Hold'em Pot Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2006/04/03 - 17:37:39 (ET)
Table '22379807 6' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: WhinnePie (3587 in chips)
Seat 2: SirWatts (3200 in chips)
Seat 3: colson10 (3925 in chips)
Seat 5: Believer82 (5681 in chips)
Seat 7: giantsmalman (2640 in chips)
Seat 8: ElkY (4657 in chips)
Seat 9: PlayWMyNuts (1160 in chips)
SirWatts: posts small blind 100
colson10: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to SirWatts [As Th]
5 folds
SirWatts: raises 400 to 600
colson10: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [Qd 9d Jc]
SirWatts: checks
colson10: checks
*** TURN *** [Qd 9d Jc] [2d]
*** RIVER *** [Qd 9d Jc 2d] [3h]
colson10: bets 800
SirWatts: calls 800

Comments on all streets but especially the flop and river? (feel free to call me names)
$5 on Stars to the first person (that I haven't told) to guess his holecards! (naming any relevant suits)

Comments

• i bet the flop here, and yeah, i think it looks like he has the same hand AT with no diamonds though
  • SirWatts wrote:
    $5 on Stars to the first person (that I haven't told) to guess his holecards! (naming any relevant suits)

You didn't tell me, but I did see the hand happen...does that still count :)
  • Why didn't you bet the turn?

If you won the previous hand with a continuation bet, I can understand not wanting to use the same line again.. so a turn bet looks like you wanted to check-raise him... but the turn check lets him know you've likely got nothing and his pair is good.
  • I'll read way to much into this hand and say that he has K10d. I would prefer a bet on the flop here and check down rather then the check, check, call. You have an OESD on the flop and the turn check is pretty standard with the flush on board, he'd likely check behind you on the turn worried about the same thing. Checking or betting on the flop is your perogotive if the hand makes it that far....

stp
  • River and flop are terrible but preflop and turn are decent so you are 50/50 in my books. I am assuming you snapped off a bluff here, who cares, still a bad call : )
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Why didn't you bet the turn?

I figured with the 3rd flush card I get called by a lot of hands and it looks like I'm semi-bluffing a draw so he might not fold much that has me beat.  I didn't really think about it that much though it's definitely an option.
  • I am going to guess Ad with a 9 kicker.
  • he could have anything here!

My guess is 3d 2h
  • if it was obvious, he wouldn' tbe offering 5 bucks to whomever could guess it correctly.
  • my guess: 7d8d, but I agree with Tigerscott - no two would really surprise me
  • He shows 8s4s and MHIG. My thought at the time was there was no way he could have a hand that beat me, because he would have had to bet to protect it at some point. Pairs probably have to bet either the flop or turn to make the straight draw pay and then flush draw pay, and a flopped straight has to bet the turn as well. He can't have a flush for a couple reasons. First, he almost certainly semi-bluffs the flop if he has a flush draw since he's aggressive (especially the nut flush draw), and if he makes a baby flush on the turn he probably bets to protect against the naked ace of diamonds and just to get value from anything I might be slowplaying. So he might occasionally be making a super-thin value bet with a 9 or weak jack or something on the river but it's pretty unlikely. However, I've checked to him 3 times showing huge weakness. There's a good chance he's going to fire with complete air here since again he's a pretty aggressive player. So when you compare the possible ways he could have nothing with the ways he has me beat there's a lot more nothings in his range. So in the end it's a pretty easy call!??
  • colson did end up winning though, he got the best of me in this hand if anyone was wondering how he came back after that call. Got what I wanted with my slowplay but it didn't work out.

POKERSTARS GAME #4510058130: TOURNAMENT #22379807, HOLD'EM POT LIMIT - LEVEL VII (150/300) - 2006/04/03 - 17:51:22 (ET)
    Table '22379807 6' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: WhinnePie (6554 in chips)
    Seat 2: SirWatts (2863 in chips)
    Seat 3: colson10 (2125 in chips)
    Seat 4: CasablancAA (5390 in chips)
    Seat 5: Believer82 (4954 in chips)
    Seat 6: ful22233 (7045 in chips)
    Seat 7: giantsmalman (1740 in chips)
    Seat 8: ElkY (6614 in chips)
    Seat 9: detach (6420 in chips)
    SirWatts: posts small blind 150
    colson10: posts big blind 300
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to SirWatts [Kc Ks]
    7 folds
    SirWatts: calls 150
    *** FLOP *** [Ts 6s 7s]
    SirWatts: bets 400
    colson10: raises 1400 to 1800
    SirWatts: raises 763 to 2563 and is all-in
    colson10: calls 25 and is all-in
    *** TURN *** [Ts 6s 7s] [6h]
    *** RIVER *** [Ts 6s 7s 6h] [5h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    SirWatts: shows [Kc Ks] (two pair, Kings and Sixes)
    colson10: shows [4d 8s] (a straight, Four to Eight)
    colson10 collected 4250 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 4250 | Rake 0
    Board [Ts 6s 7s 6h 5h]
    Seat 1: WhinnePie (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: SirWatts (small blind) showed [Kc Ks] and lost with two pair, Kings and Sixes
    Seat 3: colson10 (big blind) showed [4d 8s] and won (4250) with a straight, Four to Eight
    Seat 4: CasablancAA folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Believer82 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: ful22233 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: giantsmalman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: ElkY folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: detach folded before Flop (didn't bet)
  • ouch. all in with a gutshot, and hitting it on the river.. I guess it's true, you have to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good.
  • hands like that send shivers un and down my spine
  • they mostly make me angry. really, really angry. throwmycomputeracrosstheroom kind of angry :P