Scouting a Game

In response to my earlier post about easier games on different sites, I was told to have a lot of accounts and scout games. What does this entail? Do you watch a table for 20 minutes or so, or do you look for tables with all short stacks?

Comments

• Do you watch a table for 20 minutes or so, or do you look for tables with all short stacks?

I don't have the patience to scout out tables this religiously (especially if I'm only going to play for an hour or so). I generally just look at the stats with respect to % players seeing the flop, and average pot size. The looser the game the better (and preferrably passive). You can also do searches of "known fish" and see if they're playing. The stack size argument I assume applies more so to NL games with a max buyin (I generally play limit so this doesn't apply as much for me). Although in general somebody sitting at a limit game with a minimum buyin amount is often a weak player...
  • Thanks Scooby. Yeah I play no limit and usually just sit at the first table with an open seat. If there is some routine or checklist that someone knows I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Well the great thing about online, is that if you do sit somewhere (because you don't want to wait), you can always look for a "juicy game" while you play. Or if you decide the table you have isn't particularly good, you can always go to another...
  • Data mine!!

some site with poker tracker/gametime plus you can open tables in the limit you play when your not sitting..
    It give you stats on players before you play them
  • I think game selection is a big aspect to profitable poker
  • Ideally, watching for a while before sitting down is a good idea, you get a bit of a read on your opponents, while they have none on you.
  • Just sort by average pot size and you are good to go.
  • that doesn't necessarily tell you what you need to know.. it could be tight players with huge stacks, rather than a bunch of loose callers.
  • I look for the highest flop % I can find followed by a decent pot size. Also some tables that don't look great by stats that have a long list must have one or two big fish on it that others have tracked. Key is to get on before the fish leaves.

Datamining was eliminated at Party with the last upgrade. I don't know of any other sites that allow it.

Usually sitting in for an orbit or two gives PT enough info to let you decide if you want to stay.
  • I appreciate the comments guys and will look for all of those things when I have time for a complete session.

For the other times when I am trying to sneak in a hour of poker while the wife is out running errands, I will opt for the first table available strategy. :D
  • I pretty much do the same. although it's a quick hour of poker while I'm taking a break from studying.. I'm lucky enough not to live with my girlfriend, such taht I get no grief for any of my bad habits... yet ;)