Hand in Party SnG Tourney

What's YOUR next move?? Headsup with villian, and we had been exchange the chip lead for about 20mins up to this point. Solid player, and had mucked quite a few hands preflop before this one came along, thought he was making a move for the chip lead again.

***** Hand History for Game 3875103718 *****
1200/2400 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (Limit) (Tournament 21635145) - Sun Apr 02 20:29:59 EDT 2006
Table Speed 1183068 (Real Money) -- Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 2
Seat 1: GoingGray (7850)
Seat 8: skipsafton (12150)
skipsafton posts small blind (600)
GoingGray posts big blind (1200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to GoingGray [ 3h, 3c ]
skipsafton calls (600)
GoingGray raises (1200) to 2400
skipsafton calls (1200)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Qc, 4h, 4d ]
GoingGray bets (1200)
skipsafton raises (2400) to 2400

???

Comments

• I think I would re-raise and see what he does.

If he calls I would think I was good (and the reset of the my chips are going in the middle), if he folds then I know I'm good. He he re-raises then it time to put the rest of chips in the middle and hope he doesn't have a Queen or 4.
  • I would expect Stars will ensure you lose this hand but you've already got close to half your stack in there. Might as well finish it off and get the next one started.
  • I'd push all-in. you're making money, and have a good chance to win this hand, IF he calls.

edit: did not see 'limit' ignore :)
  • hmm...

I fold, if you're ahead, you're not ahead by much as he probably has 2 overs + Q + whatever the turn card is... and it'll cost you way too much to get to showdown.
    if you're behind, you're basically dead...

if it was NL you could just push PF :D
    limit is wack with such crazy blinds
  • I already had 1/2 my stack in at this point, so I don't think folding would have been the right call here. I tried to push him out with my preflop raise, but when he called it, I came out betting on the flop and got reraised. Figured he either had the Q or another 4 for trips, but with half my chips in, I figured I would go all in and hope for a suckout. Needless to say, it didn't come, and he won that game.

And yes, off I went to another game which I DID take down.

I don't mind limit tournaments at all, I am finding they can be quite profitable, moreso sometimes than NL ones.
  • Oh, I don't know... Sometimes those NL tourneys on Stars can be very profitable. As long as you don't suck!
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    I already had 1/2 my stack in at this point, so I don't think folding would have been the right call here.  I tried to push him out with my preflop raise, but when he called it, I came out betting on the flop and got reraised.  Figured he either had the Q or another 4 for trips, but with half my chips in, I figured I would go all in and hope for a suckout.  Needless to say, it didn't come, and he won that game.

And yes, off I went to another game which I DID take down. 

I don't mind limit tournaments at all, I am finding they can be quite profitable, moreso sometimes than NL ones.

You only had had 3600, folding still leaves you with 8400 which I think is playable. Since you said "I figured I would go all in and hope for a suckout", your read was probably that you were behind too. The problem is you're not looking to suckout to a 4, 5 outer or something, you only have 2 if you're behind. I think folding is reasonable depending on how aggressive this player has been, but with no read, I think 8400 chips is enough to play with and I dont' think you're pot committed. But I could be wrong, since I've only played NL SNGs.
  • Gord wrote:
    You only had had 3600, folding still leaves you with 8400 which I think is playable. 

8400??? I think you are looking at the wrong stacks, Gord. With my last bet I was down to just over 3000 chips. With the blinds at 600/1200, I was pretty much committed I think at that point.
  • In the OP it was stated the player was solid with a lot of preflop folds.  He wasn't making a move on you.  You raised him and he called you.  On the flop you bet out and he raised you.  Nothing in your read of the player said anything about if he had been caught bluffing before.  

If someone is trying to steal a pot in limit unless you had noted a lot of aggression from the player they normally wouldn't be picking a spot where they were raised preflop.  His raise should be telling you that he is beating you with a Q or a midpocket.  If he had the 4, heads up, he is probably going to let you bet off your chips into him.

With the board paired already above your 33 you have really stuck yourself, as even if he doesn't have the Q, you are counterfeited by the board pairing again or he has 2 overcard draws to beat you.  If you are ahead it isn't by much and if you are behind, you are drawing to 2 outs.

Before the hand starts you should count the bets that it would take to get you to the river and decide if this is the hand that you want to commit your tournament life to.

Since the 33 has almost no value after the flop, if I am in the SB I would raise to try and get him to fold preflop.  However in the BB, once he has called you from the SB, a raise from the BB has almost no value.  He won't fold preflop.  You committing an extra 1200 in chips for no reason and virtually forcing yourself to bet again on the flop (another 1200 chips).  Normally with a small pair in the BB, I would check preflop and bet out on the flop - and I still have the option to check in cases like this, with the overpair on the board.  If he still has nothing he will fold the hand, having less chips committed to the pot.