One table Sit and Go's

Hello,

I consider myself to be a fairly competent cash game and multi table tournament player.  However, I seem to struggle with single table sit n go's.  While I realize that I could just stop playing them, I think that I am a good enough player to be able to make them profitable.  I am beginning to embark on an experiment of playing 50 $33 sit n gos on party.

I have read some general tips on sit n gos, but is there anyone who on this forum who considers themselves an expert and could offer some tips.  For example, do you have an overall philosophy or strategy in approaching sit n gos? 

Any tips would be appreciated and if interested I will report my results.  I started last night and went 0/0/1/2.  However, I did go out 5th in one when my two card king high flush lost to a straight flush, but that stuff is going to happen.

Comments

• However, I seem to struggle with single table sit n go's.
    I am beginning to embark on an experiment of playing 50 $33 sit n gos on party.
    From what I've read/heard from others, the play doesn't get that much better until the really high limits. So if you're simply practicing and trying to get better (since you are struggling), why not play the $5 or $10 SnG's? Then, once you are more comfortable/profitable you can move up? If you're just learning, cheap is good.
    I have read some general tips on sit n gos, but is there anyone who on this forum who considers themselves an expert and could offer some tips. For example, do you have an overall philosophy or strategy in approaching sit n gos?
    I was a break-even SnG player before I started concentrating on cash games a few months ago. However, I've generally found that staying tight for the first few levels and identifying your opponents is best. You won't win many chips early but you can lose a lot, so wait until the blinds are a bit higher (unless you have a monster). Then, when the blinds are higher, steal from the weak and exploit anything else you picked up during the early rounds.
  • Dave Scharf also describes a new "experimental strategy" he's trying out in his blog: http://www.canadianpoker.com/PlogsB/plog_MAR06/plogMar20.htm
  • Thank you, and your suggestion is completely rational. Unfortunately, the $5 and $10 games are not enough to get my juices flowing. Obviously, if I lose my shirt at the $33 level I will adjust accordingly. We'll see.

Thank you for the tip though. I do think that is a very sound strategy.
  • I always approach single table SnG's the same way. At the beginning when the blinds are small I would play tight and be very aggressive with your good hands. I find that this 'tight' table image when the SnG is down to it's last few players a very big advantage. The situation tends to be that these players left now are 'good' or 'solid' players, so they have probably classified you as 'tight' and this works out very well to your advantage. Because now, when the blinds are bigger and everyone else seems to tighten up, you can get aggressive, loosen up on your starting hands and build up your stack.
  • I suggest not getting to attached to top pair, even if its queens king kicker. Lost twice with that to pocket rockets :S
    I think it was Jonny from PNL that gave good advice, mabye Devo, i have a horrible memory. Play only the premium hands in the early rounds, and let the crazy loose players go out or double up(then you know their style) and if you happen to lose with pocket rockets, well nothing you can do about that. Then play a solid game of poker later on. Don't tighten too much up at the bubble, good players will recognise this and you'll end up losing alot more than if you just played a couple hands.