Suggestions for backing up PT databases

Realized I desperately need to need to back this stuff up, buts its almost 2 gigs so I can't fit it on a cd and I dont have a dvd-r drive. I was thinking of getting one of those small 4GB usb storage things, but I realized that as my files grow they eventually will not fit on this thing and I'll just have to buy another. So, I'm thinking that I should buy an external dvd-rw drive, and then start storing my databases on dvd-rws. This means I need to start multiple databases, so I was going to start dedicating databases for each limit I play. Is there a better way to do this? What does everyone else do?

Comments

• If you have 2 computers, you can have them back up from one to the other. This is how I have things set up at work, and it allows the backups to run totally hands off.

For home, I picked up a removable 160gb usb hard drive. This allows me to back up important files (pictures, etc.) and then take the drive off-site (in case of fire, etc.). They're physically a bit bigger than the small usb drives you mentioned, but the extra storage is worth it if you need it.

Finally, you can use pg_dump's -s switch to back up the schema and then the -t switch t back up the tables individually. A lot more work, and the size of one large table may make this pointless anyway, but a possibility.
  • I use an external drive and back up my PT database (I am using PostGRES) to it.
    I then compress the file and move it to my external HD.

I hope that your use of DVD-RW is for backup purposes only. You don't want to put live database files on there. That's just asking for trouble.

Hobbes
  • Hobbes wrote:
    I am using PostGRES
    I forgot to clarify earlier that I am also using postgres