Opinions on this hand that left me crippled in a SNG.

$10+$1 SNG. Five players left. Blinds 160/320.

I pick up A6 on the button, it's folded to me and I raise to 640, trying for a steal. SB folds, but BB calls. The flop is A52, two clubs. BB checks, I bet 640, he raises his remaining 200-300 all-in, and I call. He has 33. The turn and river are both clubs and he wins the hand with a runner runner flush.

I couldn't put him on a big ace because he would've re-raised all-in preflop, so I thought that my hand was good which it was. I gave the player shit for risking all of his chips with a gutshot draw and third pair but his rebuttal was just that, that he had a straight draw and a pair in the hole. I ended up tilting and busting out at the bubble, again.

Comments

• He could have been on an A5 or A2 and made 2 pair. Or could have thought you were re-stealing on the flop and made his own play back at you with the Ace as a scare card in case you had King or Queen high.

In any case at the $10 level, you're still going to be up against bad players who will make bad plays. In the long run, you'd win this hand... it's not often they'll make runner-runner flush and win with a 3... but that's poker.

hork.
  • Nothing really wrong with the way either of you played the hand. I usually prefer (if it was NL) raising more than just doubling the blind, but in this case 2*BB seems to be around the size of the BB's stack anyway so maybe 2*BB is good enough.

The 33 is probably getting about the right odds to draw to what looks like 6 good outs, including the chance that the 33 might already be the best hand. Besides, he seems to be the short stack, and if I was him I'd certainly call the rest of my chips off on that particular flop.
    I gave the player shit for risking all of his chips with a gutshot draw and third pair but his rebuttal was just that, that he had a straight draw and a pair in the hole. I ended up tilting and busting out at the bubble, again.
    Two *extremely* bad plays.

You're going to lose a hand now and then at poker, and if you let these sort of emotions cloud your rational poker decision making you're asking for trouble.

And there is simply no place in a good poker player's repetoire for berating the fish, especially at low-limit.

ScottyZ
  • I tilted and busted out soon after because I had about 2-3 BB's left with blinds coming up and raising within the new couple of hands, not because of my emotions.

I usually don't berate a player if he sucks me out like that but there's always the rare occasion where I need to unleash it rather than keep it inside me and let it affect my play. It's better to release anger than keep it bottled up inside, right? Ask Phil Hellmuth...
  • It's better to release anger than keep it bottled up inside, right? Ask Phil Hellmuth...
    Possibly, but I don't think that berating your opponent(s) is a very good choice for the method of anger release.

But don't ask me what *is* a good method. I have no idea... :confused: The dreaded bad beat story perhaps?

This anger is yours to deal with... focussing it towards your opponents is IMO not truly a way of even dealing with that anger in most cases. Much of the time when people take their anger out on their opponents, they are simply looking to transfer the blame for the events that caused the anger. On a fundamental level, this is avoiding the anger, not dealing with it.

And, I for one do not take Phil Hellmuth as a model good behavior/sportsmanship. ;)

Of course, I'm sure (as you said) you rarely do this sort of thing, and it's probably natural to do so every now and then, and to be tempted to do so way more often than that.

ScottyZ
  • I just stare in their direction as I curse them out in my head. It makes me feel better. I also like to remind myself that I'm the better player and if I'm patient I will get my revenge. I always maintain a calm demeanor although my staring may tip them off...

If it's online I can scream and yell all I want. This makes it really easy not to type anything into the chat box!
  • LOL

My spoooon...is too BIG!

ScottyZ
  • PokerStars offers a nice way to deal with bad-beat frustration, and I'm sure it's not the only site that has this feature:

I find it emotionally productive to write was I was going to say in the chatbox in that player's 'notes' folder instead. It's more theraputic than you might think, and it gives you a laugh when you end up at the same table as that player again. Lately, whenever I check my notes on players at my table, I see something uselessly entertaining like: "Stupid fish can't play worth a damn and is a very cheeky monkey".

Regards,
    all_aces
  • When this happens to me I just type in "nh", and hope he keeps playing this way..
  • esool wrote:
    When this happens to me I just type in "nh", and hope he keeps playing this way..

I do that sometimes too. lol