Wow, I got lucky too!

I was goint to add to the other thread but since this is my first post, I thought I'd say "hi" in a new one. Anyway, this was my second hand at the table (I changed all the names) after getting sucked out on my first hand:

PokerStars Game #12345632960: Hold'em Limit ($10/$20) - 2006/03/28 - 00:43:13 (ET)
Table 'Jupiter IV' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: K1 ($199 in chips)
Seat 3: A2 ($515 in chips)
Seat 4: HERO ($130 in chips)
Seat 5: S_99 ($200 in chips)
Seat 6: 1W1 ($212 in chips)
HERO: posts small blind $5
S_99: posts big blind $10

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Jc 8h]
1W1: calls $10
K1: calls $10
A2: calls $10
HERO: calls $5 ... cheap call
S_99: checks

*** FLOP *** [6h 9c Th]
HERO: checks
S_99: bets $10
1W1: raises $10 to $20
K1: raises $10 to $30
A2: folds
HERO: calls $30
S_99: calls $20
1W1: raises $10 to $40
Betting is capped
HERO: calls $10
S_99: calls $10
...........................my calls were pretty loose here but I sometimes call a lot when I first sit down,
plus I had an open ender.... and lots of other callers.
*** TURN *** [6h 9c Th] [Qs]
ADegenerate joins the table at seat #2
HERO: checks
1W1: bets $20
K1: raises $20 to $40
HERO: raises $20 to $60 .... sweet, not the nut straight but I wasn't too afraid of KJ here
S_99: raises $20 to $80
Betting is capped
1W1: calls $60
K1: calls $40
HERO: calls $20 and is all-in

*** RIVER *** [6h 9c Th Qs] [9h] ... sh$t! I thought for sure I lost here since it completed the flush
draw and could easily made a boat.

1W1: checks
K1: checks ...................... sweet.

*** SHOW DOWN ***
HERO: shows [Jc 8h] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
S_99: mucks hand
1W1: mucks hand
K1: mucks hand
HERO collected $528 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $530 | Rake $2
Board [6h 9c Th Qs 9h]
Seat 1: K1 mucked
Seat 3: A2 (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: HERO (small blind) showed [Jc 8h] and won ($528) with a straight, Eight to Queen
Seat 5: S_99 (big blind) mucked [Tc Jd]
Seat 6: 1W1 mucked [Ts Ac]

I know this isn't a stellar example of good play, but thought it was interesting enough to
post when you look at what everyone else had (three people flopped top pair).

Comments

• I would never call a 3bet flop (obvious to become capped) 4 handed with an open ended straight draw with a 4 flush on board...yeah you got lucky
  • chube wrote:
    Anyway, this was my second hand at the table
    Seat 4: HERO ($130 in chips)
    HERO: calls $20 and is all-in

I have a question - why did you sit down with such a short stack? I think you might be playing a little outside of your bankroll here. What if you did flop a monster - you would be limited in the amount you can win here by being all-in.
  • Dealt to HERO [Jc 8h]
    1W1: calls $10
    A2: calls $10
    HERO: calls $5 ... cheap call

BZZT. It's actualy an expensive call. When you make top pair no kicker you are going to...? When you hit an 8 on the flop, you are going to...?

Save the cheese for a deep dish pizza pizza pizza.. Not poker.
  • Yes, you are both correct.
    a.  I normally wouldn't call there either, especially with the flush possibility on board.  Definitely a bad play, especially since the Q doesn't even give me the nut straight.  I do however usually make some loose calls early in a session.

b.  This was above my normal limit, but not my bankroll per se.  I normally play at 5/10 or 3/6 and buy-in for 20 bb's.  Every once in a while I will step up to $10/$20 for a session and I normally don't play like this.  I bought in for $200 at this table and lost $70 on the first hand.  

I'm not going to pretend I'm a great player.  I have been tracking my wins/losses for about 5 weeks now and I'm basically a break even player.  It is definitely true that if I stayed off the $10/$20 table, I'd be well into the positive.  It's kind of silly, had I not got lucky on the above hand, a 4-hour +$200 session at the $3/$6 would have been wiped out in about 2 minutes.

I appreciate the feedback and believe me, I know I got very lucky in the above hand.  I also know I have to work on my discipline.  I can play fairly solid for hours and then something seems to snap inside and I play crazy for a few minutes as per above.

Anyway, I really enjoy this forum and I hope to contibrute examples of good play in the future.
  • wow, i wonder what the hell everyone else what betting on... aces/kings/queens?
  • wow, i wonder what the hell everyone else what betting on... aces/kings/queens?

It's there in the hand history (mucked hands)....
    A/10, Q/10, J/10.

which, btw, makes their play just as bad as mine. I know that's no excuse, but I had watched them for a round before posting my blind and I had already seen a lot of loose calls and raises, so I knew it was going to be a wild ride before sitting down. Reminds me of another story... but I'll make that a separate post when I have time.