Best Digital Camera?

So I've FINALLY convinced my wife that we need* a digital camera. (It only 2.5 years!!!)

And since I'm a techno-gadget fish, I need some help in choosing one.

What makes a "good" one and what makes a "OK/medicore/bad" one?

Where can I get a good price? (I'm not going to Future Shop or Best Buy unless I have too!)

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Thanks All!

JohnnieH

* OK our old camera still works fine, but I'm sick of waiting for a week to get my prints back, and being the only person I know without one!!

Comments

• It depends what you are looking for from the camera and also what is your budget.

A good camera to some people might be slim, small, point-and-shoot, simple to operate camera. While to some people, a good camera might be one that can have wide-angel zoom lense etc etc attach to it. The price difference can go from $300 or so to $1000+.

www.dpreview.com and www.cnet.com are two decent places which will provide reviews on digital cameras for you.

As far as where you can get them, you can try out 2001 Audio and Video or Black's if you don't want to go to FS or BB.

Hope that gets you started Johnnie!
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    So I've FINALLY convinced my wife that we need* a digital camera. (It only 2.5 years!!!)

And since I'm a techno-gadget fish, I need some help in choosing one.

What makes a "good" one and what makes a "OK/medicore/bad" one?

Where can I get a good price? (I'm not going to Future Shop or Best Buy unless I have too!)

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Thanks All!

JohnnieH

* OK our old camera still works fine, but I'm sick of waiting for a week to get my prints back, and being the only person I know without one!!

i used to be a serious photographer, even had my own business while i was in school...i can answer any questions you may have, but i would recommend checking out the following 2 links first:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ #1 US mail order site -- check for pricing

photo.net -- reviews and discussion of cameras

as for non-slr (can't attach different lenses) zoom digital cams, i find that canon has the best selection and features per price point...i bought one for my gf a couple years back and it makes photo-quality prints up to 16x20 by simply forwarding the files to an online print site...very nice.
  • CANON EOS-1DS

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?dest=frames.jsp&currency=CAD&storeId=10001

I am seriously considering buying this for the summer. I took photography in highschool and am pretty good, so I figure, why not have the best possible shots of my friends and I getting way too drunk.

10K is a small price to pay for 16.7 megapixels. Hell, why wouldn't you want to produce billboard sized images of your friend getting his eyebrows shaved.

Go with this one Johnnie H, I'm sure it will be GREAT at the Jays home opener ;)
  • haddon wrote:

10K is a small price to pay for 16.7 megapixels. Hell, why wouldn't you want to produce billboard sized images of your friend getting his eyebrows shaved.

hmm...WSOP buy-in or a camera.....tough one.

Thanks for the responses. I"ll keep you updated!!
  • my only advise is to make sure your purchase the camera with a credit card that gives you an additional year warranty above and beyond the manufacturer's warranty as I find the digital cameras seem to have a lot more problems than the old 35MM style. There are some no fee gold VISA cards out there that will give you this feature. Enjoy the camera!

PokerJAH
  • Johnnie:

Is your old camera a 35mm SLR? If so, most of the digial slrs will take lenses from the 35mm cameras. That's what I did with my Pentax.

Hobbes
  • GOT IT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

We went with the Olympus Stylus 600, $260 from Henrys.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

JohnnieH
  • Good call, now unless you have already done so, get some high quality rechargeable batteries, with a quick charger, cuz battery costs will kill ya!
  • jpajamas wrote:
    Good call, now unless you have already done so, get some high quality rechargeable batteries, with a quick charger, cuz battery costs will kill ya!

Yep, we grabbed a spared rechargeable battery. The camera came with one and charger.