how to play the shortstack?

how to play the shortstack? NL tourneys

you're down to about 6 to 8x BB

and all you're getting are cards like 62o, 34o, 52o etc

no Ax, Kx, or any pocket pairs?

when you're in the late positions, do you move in with no matter what?

if i could get a few responses...that would be gr8888!  :fish:

thx,
CO :D

Comments

• Yeah I tend to give myself one orbit when I get under 8bb's. I'll look for a suited or connected hand or and Ace or King and push..
  • And as for stealing it depends on the players/stack sizes that are in the blinds.
  • I'm flexible.  It really depends on who's on your left and right and their relative stack sizes.

If you have some tighter players on your left on a relatively sane table and they have roughly average stack sizes and you're stack will do some damage this presents the best opportunity.  I'm pushing in with any two if it's folded to me on the button.  This creates a nice situation when you get a big pair -- you push and it looks like a steal.  If you have tighter players on less than average stack, this is a very bad move and I'd push with AJ or better, any pair, KQ-KJ.

Now, if you have a lose player on your left with a larger than average stack, this is absolutely horrilbe for you.  Now you want a showdown hand, because he's pretty much calling with anything.  So back to the AJ or better, any pair, and KQ/KJ.

If you have some aggressive players (stealers/fox) on your right with slightly more than average stack sizes, this also presents a good opportunity.  They offer you protection.  They will quite often steal with less than average hands.  So, this is a great spot for the re-steal.  The reason is that if you push all-in, the blinds will have to have a huge hand to call or raise.  They know you will push with less than average, but they're not sure about the agressive guy.  So he's your protection.  I'd push here with any ace, any pair, and any two paint.  Quite often the blinds have to fold and the fox will fold.

Now, all this may not materialize as your opportunities just won't surface.  Now, I'm looking for the double/double.  I'd love to get into a raise/re-raise situation where I'm the third person in.  I like any two suited connectors and any pair here.  I don't like an ace unless it's AK.  So, I'm likely a 4 to 1 dog, but I'm getting 2 to 1 on my money and there won't be many situations where I can get 2 to 1 on my money.  If I do, bam I'm at 24BB and looking mighty fine again.

This is not it, but just some thoughts. BTW, limping with drawing hands is horrible -- Ax suited, small suited connectors, JT, KQ, QJ, especially if there are already some limpers in the pot.  You need to leverage your stack as much as possible and limping just isn't one of those ways to leverage it.

Cheers
    Magi
  • It is especially tough when you are down enough that you know you will be called - that is why it is good to get a little more aggressive with your decent hands before you hit that point. Once I get down to 12 -15x the BB I will try to play little more aggressive against the blinds in position. So many people let their decent stacks go bad and by the time they make a move it is too late - they get called because they have to little. It is nice to be able to take a shot at it while people will steal have some reluctancy to call any of your bets.

This is where your notes on the other players at the table will make a big difference.
  • In the 6-8 BB size, I like to see AA or KK. :) .

If that is not possible and you are in a position to steal, go with any two, but watch out for Ax. I know that if you are going to be called by others they will, most of the time have you dominated. I like suited connectors and other hands like one gappers.
  • Depending on the table make up.... I either get very patient and will blind down to about 5 bb or 8 bb if there are antes invovled then I will push with any 2 if first in. If the table will allow me to steal I'll start stealing earlier. I look for hands that have 2 live cards. That means I prefer T J (preferably suited) rather than A x. There is nothing worse than pushing with A T to see AK or AQ. I"d rather push with the 10 J in those situations. As with most things poker..... it depends.....
  • I wait for an ace, two face cards with a k or a pocket pair. If that doesn't come, i'll either early on try to get my chips in with a nice drawing hand, i.e suite connectors when their are multiple people in the pot. Alot of the time players are stupid and bet their top pair on the flop making other players fold allowing you to hit that flush or straight draw, if not then you either bust out which was gonna happen eventually or you triple or quadruple up. I never let myself get within 4 times the bb, unless i'm at the buble and praying to make it in the money.