Wow did I get lucky

PokerStars Game #4423075087: Hold'em Limit ($10/$20) - 2006/03/26 - 17:50:23 (ET)
Table 'Hyperenor' 10-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: dgoldberge ($455 in chips)
Seat 2: jamdownone ($966.50 in chips)
Seat 4: littleamy ($174 in chips)
Seat 5: 7-2o ($199.50 in chips)
Seat 6: JC-TheGuide ($351 in chips)
Seat 7: mightyone ($154 in chips)
Seat 8: pkrooster ($433 in chips)
Seat 9: roddap ($300 in chips)
Seat 10: ryanj9352 ($439 in chips)
pkrooster: posts small blind $5
roddap: posts big blind $10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to pkrooster [8d 8s]
ryanj9352: raises $10 to $20
dgoldberge: folds
jamdownone: folds
littleamy: folds
7-2o: folds
JC-TheGuide: folds
mightyone: folds
pkrooster: calls $15
roddap: raises $10 to $30
ryanj9352: raises $10 to $40
Betting is capped
pkrooster: calls $20
roddap: calls $10
*** FLOP *** [6s 5d 8h]
luv2winalot joins the table at seat #3
pkrooster: checks
roddap: checks
ryanj9352: bets $10
pkrooster: raises $10 to $20
roddap: raises $10 to $30
ryanj9352: calls $20
pkrooster: raises $10 to $40
Betting is capped
roddap: calls $10
ryanj9352: calls $10
*** TURN *** [6s 5d 8h] [3c]
pkrooster: bets $20
roddap: calls $20
ryanj9352: calls $20
*** RIVER *** [6s 5d 8h 3c] [8c]
pkrooster: bets $20
roddap: raises $20 to $40
ryanj9352: calls $40
pkrooster: raises $20 to $60
roddap: raises $20 to $80
Betting is capped
ryanj9352: folds
pkrooster: calls $20
*** SHOW DOWN ***
roddap: shows [As Ah] (two pair, Aces and Eights)
pkrooster: shows [8d 8s] (four of a kind, Eights)
pkrooster collected $497 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $500 | Rake $3
Board [6s 5d 8h 3c 8c]
Seat 1: dgoldberge folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: jamdownone folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: littleamy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: 7-2o folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: JC-TheGuide folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: mightyone (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: pkrooster (small blind) showed [8d 8s] and won ($497) with four of a kind, Eights
Seat 9: roddap (big blind) showed [As Ah] and lost with two pair, Aces and Eights
Seat 10: ryanj9352 folded on the River

Wow I just finished a wild session and this had to be the highlight
I was down until this hand.

What a nice finish to a day!!!!

Paul

Comments

• I'm not sure if you're looking for critique of the hand or not, but something really jumped out at me. Your pre-flop betting seems like a -EV situation.

UTG raises, you flat call in the small blind, the BB re-raises and the original raiser caps. Wouldn't this be a good time to get out of the hand? Unless you have a read to the otherwise, I have to think I'm really behind at this point, likely needing to catch an 8 to win the pot.

You're facing an out of position bet of $20 into a pot of $90. (which will effectively be $100, since the re-raiser won't drop for the extra $10) Unless the flop comes an 8 (1-8 odds?) you have to drop the hand to aggressive betting, so it doesn't seem like you're getting the right price to make the call.

I don't play mid-limit poker, so there's probably something I'm missing here. I'm curious as to your thought process in calling the capped pre-flop bet?

Thanks!!

• UTG raises, you flat call in the small blind, the BB re-raises and the original raiser caps. Wouldn't this be a good time to get out of the hand? Unless you have a read to the otherwise, I have to think I'm really behind at this point, likely needing to catch an 8 to win the pot.

Implied Odds + Big Pot = $$$.

Don't fold there because when making your 8 against two potential big hands (QQ+, AK+) will pay off.
  • Zithal wrote:
    I'm not sure if you're looking for critique of the hand or not, but something really jumped out at me.  Your pre-flop betting seems like a -EV situation.

UTG raises, you flat call in the small blind, the BB re-raises and the original raiser caps.   Wouldn't this be a good time to get out of the hand?  Unless you have a read to the otherwise, I have to think I'm really behind at this point, likely needing to catch an 8 to win the pot.

You're facing an out of position bet of $20 into a pot of $90. (which will effectively be $100, since the re-raiser won't drop for the extra $10)  Unless the flop comes an 8 (1-8 odds?) you have to drop the hand to aggressive betting, so it doesn't seem like you're getting the right price to make the call.

I don't play mid-limit poker, so there's probably something I'm missing here.  I'm curious as to your thought process in calling the capped pre-flop bet?

Thanks!!

As BBC says here, implied odds... ie if you hit, you will get paid... Drop on flop if you don't hit.. Your getting only 5-1 on your money for a 1 in 8 chance of hitting.. However with them both betting like they are you can put them on big hands and neither are likely to drop easily... Therefore big $$$$...
  • Anyone like 3 betting here to knock out the BB (obviously it's not working in this case), or is this spewing OOP vs. what should be a bad range of cards for 88 (ie. do you want the BB in there to give you better odds). Thoughts?
  • I don't like the hand.. But I don't totally disagree.. I really think too many people toss around the term implied odds. You are right in the aspect that your gonna get paid. The 4th 8 was way overkill. But VNH.

Maybe im a little tighter (and I am in no way implying your a loose player we all have our own style) I prolly would have tossed it ater the 3 bet. Your way out of position here too..

I think I might have preffered this play from the Button or the CO.

My .02
  • Cracking Aces is by far the nicest feeling in poker :) I'm surpised the guy raised at the river with the board being what it was. Yet no one is gonna have a straight, but some crazy fool might have a suited Ace8 or more lickely someone hit a set... NH though, big pot, and here i thought limit was a boring no win game :)
  • Cracking Aces is by far the nicest feeling in poker

Incorrect. Cracking poorly played aces is the best feeling in poker.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Cracking Aces is by far the nicest feeling in poker

Incorrect. Cracking poorly played aces is the best feeling in poker.
    Exactly.....Villan should know that he is behind on the flop. OK OK he will figure it out on the turn.....NOPE. Last chance........NOPE, I'll hold onto these Aces thank-you.
  • very nice, that kind of hand always puts a smile on one's face..

and isn't it just fitting that getting yuor aces cracked is the worst feeling in poker too? :)