Flopped the nuts (no trapping)

0.25/0.50 NL at PokerRoom.  BB finally gets to me and I post, picking up :6d :7d . UTG and SB both call, and I take the free flop.

Flop comes :5s :4h :3c - the nuts!  Board isn't scary, but I usually don't slow-play and have no reads on any opponents, so I lead out with $1.50.  UTG re-raises to $4 and SB calls.  Again, no slow-playing, so I re-raise to $12.  UTG pushes for another $44.80 and SB folds.  I obviously call, so the pot is $104.30

UTG shows :10h :10d .  This confused me a bit, since it wasn't even a big pair, but ok.

Turn is :7h , the river is :9c , and MHIG.

The SB claims to have folded JJ, and still had $30.  Should I have done anything different to try to keep him around (not re-raising to $12)?  I've gotten so use to not trapping (since I've opened myself up to too many draws - which all hit) that I'm trying to return a bit more to "value" poker (and getting more money in the pot).

Comments

• NH. I'd be happy that one of them was bad enough to get broke with 1 pair, it's pretty unlikely you'd get them both all-in. Playing this hand fast is good because they might think their hands are good on the flop but half the deck is a scare card to them and will kill your action.. Good luck trying to stack someone with TT on a 3457 board for example like if you had waited until the turn.
  • Should you keep him around?

I think it's obvious the guy would have folded on the turn, and this dude was willing to get all his money in now? I say you did as well as you could... I wouldn't complain about 120x the BB with 6-7

Mark
  • Well, you won $104 pot, so I say NO, you played it right. Nice Hand!!

If he did fold JJ, then he's either too skilled for .25/.50 or a Flaming Donk.

I sure someone with disagree me, but I'll live. (and learn)

JohnnieH

ps...The Flaming Donks...good band name?
  • SirWatts wrote:
    Good luck trying to stack someone with TT on a 3457 board for example like if you had waited until the turn.
    Good point.
    DrTyore wrote:
    I wouldn't complain about 120x the BB with 6-7
    Definitely not complaining - it's a real nice way to start a session ;) .  I've just gotten to the point now where I'm questioning my winning hands (instead o just the losers) to see where I can improve (although this hand appears - in retrospect - to be a bad example).
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    I'd probably fold JJ with that action, so I guess I'll accept the new nickname :D
  • beanie42 wrote:
    JohnnieH wrote:
    I'd probably fold JJ with that action, so I guess I'll accept the new nickname :D

I probably would too.

As for how you played the hand - I don't think you could have done anything to get the third player to donate more money. NH!
  • I'm putting the SB in the "flaming donk" category...not for folding in the face of a bet, raise, re-raise, re-raise all-in, but for not raising preflop to get heads up with the limping UTG player.
    JJ should have wanted the BB out...and likely could have had him out for a $2.00 preflop raise
  • DrTyore wrote:
    Should you keep him around? 

I think it's obvious the guy would have folded on the turn, and this dude was willing to get all his money in now?  I say you did as well as you could... I wouldn't complain about 120x the BB with  6-7

Mark

yes, it's certainly no 7-8 but vnh Trevor....can't say I'd play it any other way!
  • Not slow playing is the way to go cuz I get burned all the time slow playing. If I was you I'd just sit back and enjoy the winning hand. It's not often you rack up that big a pot with 6 7