Connecting Laptop to Desktop

If I want to move some large files from my laptop to a desktop, is there an easy solution?  Is it as simple as purchasing a cable with a USB port on either end (and the desktop will recognize the laptop as a new drive) or is there specific software required as well? I know for a digital camera specialized software has to be installed on the desktop for it to recognize the camera as a new external drive.   The desktop is quite new (if that makes a difference).  The laptop is running Windows 2000 and the desktop is running on Windows XP.  Any computer experts out there?  :D
PokeJAH

Comments

• How big are the files?

The cheapest way likely would be to buy a cross over cat5 network cable, you can then plug it directly into the ethernet ports on each computer and share out a folder on the destination computer and copy the files to the shared folder. Make sure when you share the folder you give full access to all users to change files (on xp there's a little check box when you share a folder that says something like 'allow users to change files'. Also make sure each computer has the same workgroup name and a unique computer name and are part of the same ip subnet.
    For example setup one computer with the following:
    ip: 192.168.1.100
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: blank

Then setup the other like:
    ip: 192.168.1.200
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: blank

Then the two should see each other through windows explorer.

Here's a link that should help you if you need to go this route:
    http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/Direct_Crossover-_Windows_XP_To_Windows_XP.pdf

If the files are less then 1GB in size then the easiest but more expensive way would be to buy a 1GB usb memory stick (I think you can get them now for about $79)...you could also buy 512MB or 256 MB or whatever you need...then when you plug them into the usb port they will show up in explorer as a removable drive and you can copy the files from the source computer to the usb key, then unplug, plug into the destination and copy, repeat as necessary....this solution is probably the easiest of the two but if the files are smaller then 1GB in size.
  • thanks for the instant feedback. What I am basically doing is copying dvds onto the laptop and then want to transfer the files over to the desktop which has the dvd burner. They would be just under 4.7GB so the portable drive is not an option. What does the crossover cable cost? With the cable option, the file size is not an issue? Cheers.
  • The file size is not an issue with a cross over cable. The price of a cable should not be over $20 if I'm not mistaken.
  • If you are on the same network...

You can send like 100mB/s over msn...

So zip everything you have and msn it to each other.

We did 80 Gigs once haha....took no time at all.
  • haddon wrote:
    If you are on the same network...

I guess this would work if both systems were connected to a router and the internet...but then if they are it would be easier just sharing a folder and transferring the files rather then creating two msn accounts and relying onb msn to copy...seems a waste of energy to me?

If you have a router/hub already just plug both systems in and follow the directions in that link for sharing a folder....if you do not have a router/hub then you should be able to pick up a cross over cable at any of the big box stores for less the $20...probably around $15.
  • pokerJAH wrote:
    thanks for the instant feedback.  What I am basically doing is copying dvds onto the laptop and then want to transfer the files over to the desktop which has the dvd burner. 

If you are copying DVD's (obviously for 'backup' purposes because copying copyrighted material is well umm illegal?) I'd throw a program called DVDShrink on the computer with the burner then just rip the DVD files to the desktop and forget about the laptop all together?

DVDShrink can be found here:
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

DVD Shrink is simple to use and very easy to re-author the DVD to cut out all the extra crap and get the best possible quality.
  • don't have internet access for the laptop. The real purpose is to be able to 'backup' DVDs on the laptop (which is portable) and then transfer the files to the desktop. I already have DVD Shrink on the desktop, which I agree is an unvaluable resource. I will give the cable a try. Doesn't sound like I need any specialized software besides what is already included with the operating system.
  • Are you the same guy who called into the radio show the other day? Exact same question.
  • pokerJAH wrote:
    don't have internet access for the laptop.  The real purpose is to be able to 'backup' DVDs on the laptop (which is portable) and then transfer the files to the desktop.  I already have DVD Shrink on the desktop, which I agree is an unvaluable resource.  I will give the cable a try.  Doesn't sound like I need any specialized software besides what is already included with the operating system.

yeah DVD Shrink rocks...ok if that is the case a cross over cable is really the only way to go and they are fairly cheap.
  • Big E wrote:
    haddon wrote:

I guess this would work if both systems were connected to a router and the internet...but then if they are it would be easier just sharing a folder and transferring the files rather then creating two msn accounts and relying onb msn to copy...seems a waste of energy to me?

If you have a router/hub already just plug both systems in and follow the directions in that link for sharing a folder....if you do not have a router/hub then you should be able to pick up a cross over cable at any of the big box stores for less the $20...probably around $15.

I am cursed with having a Dell, netowrking is never an option. Ha.
  • haddon wrote:

If you're on the same network, why wouldn't you just use windows fileshare?

Pump everything through microsoft's servers = ugh.
  • haddon wrote:

What do you mean? I have a Dell and I setup networking with 3 roommates' computers, 2 of which are also Dell.
    Hork42 wrote:

Pump everything through microsoft's servers = ugh.
    I've used MSN to transfer large files locally before and it's smart enough not to go through MSN's servers (and yes it is blazing fast).

But if you're on the same router sharing a folder on the laptop and accessing it from the desktop would be just as fast.

/g2
  • g2 wrote:
    haddon wrote:

What do you mean? I have a Dell and I setup networking with 3 roommates' computers, 2 of which are also Dell.

Over the years TW has had six Dells. Only one of them was ever networkable. There was always complications. There are tons of sites on the net talking about it.
  • I already have DVD Shrink on the desktop, which I agree is an unvaluable resource.

LMAO.
  • Invaluable. Or is it a joke?

I am lost.
  • Invaluable. Or is it a joke?

Ya, I knew what he meant. I just got a kick how 1/4inch typo completely changed the meaning of things.

Btw, I also get a kick of how valuable and invaluable are synonyms...

The English language must've been thought up by a bunch of crackheads... :)
  • haddon wrote:

groan...another Dell sucker.