Set vs Set - Possible to Escape?

I have been 9 tabling $25 PL on Party the past couple weeks (sadly one of the best ways to obtain various VIP goals as all NL/PL games are rewarded the same regardless of buy in).  Flopped sets are by far the best money makers in the game and aside from a crazy coordinated board I will pretty much go all in with a set post flop happily.

This hand though I am kind of reconsidering after the fact based on the opponent.

The opponent in this case also plays 9-10 tables of PL and plays them well.  He is hardly reckless and like me he bets as big as possible to pressure weaker players on draws or with dominated hands.

The thing is he knows I am that type of player as well given how often we sit at many of the same tables.

The hand is the following

***** Hand History for Game 3791622207 *****
$25 PL Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, March 21, 16:02:19 ET 2006
Table Woodcutter (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 10: Monteroy ( $27.10 )
Seat 6: Governor911 ( $32.26 )
Seat 3: modukon ( $11.47 )
Seat 8: onetime1121 ( $11.43 )
Seat 7: hippie0420 ( $65.31 )
Seat 1: svp11 ( $23.45 )
Seat 2: Dd_Ll_Kk ( $27.60 )
Seat 4: BReisner423 ( $16.12 )
Seat 5: tbg2626 ( $9.65 )
Seat 9: Spyde_ ( $19.40 )
onetime1121 posts small blind [$0.10].
Spyde_ is sitting out.
Monteroy posts big blind [$0.25].
Spyde_ has left the table.
Governor911 posts big blind + dead [$0.35].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Monteroy [  4c 4s ]
svp11 calls [$0.25].
Dd_Ll_Kk raises [$0.50].
modukon folds.
BReisner423 folds.
tbg2626 folds.
Governor911 folds.
hippie0420 calls [$0.50].
onetime1121 folds.
Monteroy calls [$0.25].
svp11 calls [$0.25].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4d, Ad, 5c ]
Monteroy checks.
svp11 checks.
Dd_Ll_Kk bets [$2].
hippie0420 folds.
Monteroy raises [$5].
svp11 folds.
Dd_Ll_Kk raises [$15.35].
Monteroy is all-In.
Dd_Ll_Kk calls [$9.25].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8h ]
** Dealing River ** [ Ah ]
Dd_Ll_Kk shows [ As, Ac ] four of a kind, aces.
Monteroy doesn't show [ 4c, 4s ] a full house, Fours full of aces.
Dd_Ll_Kk wins $52.90 from  the main pot  with four of a kind, aces.

I guess in hindsight this is where I begin to wonder about my play post flop.  I have no problem with the check raise but once he reraise shoves like that I wonder that had I stopped for a moment (which is kind of hard when 9 tabling :P) then perhaps I can realize that a player of his type knowing the type of player I am would not play a draw or even AK as he played the hand.  He must realize I can beat AK  and there is almost no chance he flopped 2 pairs or a straight with that flop and the best flush draw say KQ he still would not play as he did preflop (or post flop for that matter).

I am hardly advocating folding sets post flop casually, but I am wondering given the dynamics of the players and the betting and the flop if it would have been possible to do so in this case without being insane.

They say if you flop a set vs a higher set and do not lose a ton of money you have done something wrong.  I am wondering if this has to apply in every case  :D

Thanks in advance

Comments

• No.

Edit: OK I posted blind. After reading the post my answer is not surprisingly still no. Make a note that he only doubled with AA though, if he only does that with AA then maybe next time you can.
  • Make a note that he only doubled with AA though, if he only does that with AA then maybe next time you can.

Umm, it's pot limit, and he's in EP, so it's not like he could have raised much more.

Note: I don't know much about PL, but does it even make much sense to raise this hand in EP, or is it better to just limp (and hope to reraise).
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    Umm, it's pot limit, and he's in EP, so it's not like he could have raised much more.

Actually in this case, he could have raised up to $1.35 with the UTG limper and the player posting BB and dead SB in LP

As far as the actual hand, I don't think it is possible to get away here without knowing that he is the type to only
    double the blind with AA. If I've played with him enough to know that he'd only EVER double the blinds preflop with
    AA or KK (and I know he's folding KK to the check raise) then I might be able to get away.
  • I don't think I could get away from the hand even if playing only one table of $0.10-$0.25 PL. It doesn't matter much who the opponent is in this kind of spot.

I don't think there is any way that anyone could make a play that is this non-standard while 9-tabling without making an enormous amount of errors in the long run. Stick with fundamentals when playing a large number of tables. In particular, middle set is just plain old middle set. :)

ScottyZ
  • No, you lose there. At least you had an out.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I don't think I could get away from the hand even if playing only one table of $0.10-$0.25 PL. It doesn't matter much who the opponent is in this kind of spot.

I don't think there is any way that anyone could make a play that is this non-standard while 9-tabling without making an enormous amount of errors in the long run. Stick with fundamentals when playing a large number of tables. In particular, middle set is just plain old middle set. :)

ScottyZ

Oh, I agree, and in fact I did not even think about the hand much till after I finished playing a couple of hours later, though I did wonder if that fold was possible under a less hectic situation. The thing that struck me was I had a feeling that something was wrong on that hand that I did not have on any of my other trips hands (all of which I won except one other set vs set and a couple of crazy 4567 all spade boards where I gave up).

Basic play big hands big with minimal funny stuff really is an easy path in those games I am finding.
  • In particular, middle set is just plain old middle set.

Actually it was bottom set, which makes this a very easy fold. :)
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    In particular, middle set is just plain old middle set.

Oops. Sorry, I was reading 9 forums at the time.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    ScoobyD wrote:
    In particular, middle set is just plain old middle set.
    Oops. Sorry, I was reading 9 forums at the time.

ScottyZ

Mutli-"foruming?" That's awesome.

FWIW, I'd go broke in this situation

JohnnieH
  • FWIW Harrington says anyone that DOESN"T go broke here is an idiot.

Literally...

He says "idiot"

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    FWIW Harrington says anyone that DOESN"T go broke here is an idiot.

Literally...

He says "idiot"

Mark
    Who's this Harrington guy you speak of, and when has he ever won a Bristol, or a Keatsway, or a Cook Crew event, or a Westside? Come on.... People have to have some credentials before giving advice like that!
  • I've never won a Bristol, Westside or any other you mention. I do go broke here and I am an idiot (only when Braad is at my table) ....... now what was the question....... oh ya this Harrington guy only plays the little tourney's in vegas I'm told.
  • I go broke on this hand, AK plays it the same way. However the min raise preflop is kinda fishy.
  • no chance
  • weird....i had this exact hand happen to me yesterday, and i bubbled out of a tourny for it. I had trip 10's off the flop (note: it was top set) and raised, villan pushed, had pocket aces and hit two running aces to KILL my 10's full.
    sonofa!
    M