Another hand...

Discuss... I know which street I hate the most (mainly because I did exactly the opposite of what I should have done given what I thought my opponent had). MP3 seemed fairly LA preflop, but not super aggro postflop. (40/23/1.7). Didn't have many hands on him so no crazy reads.

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 7c, 7h.
2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 3 folds, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 5c, 3h, 9c (3 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, MP3 3-bets, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 6s (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: (5.25 BB) 2d (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Comments

• First in, I'd raise or fold 77.  Way more likley to raise, unless there were some extremely tough tricky opponents behind me.  On the flop, unless the BB gets out of line with draws, I'd be inclined to fold to the 3 bet.  Not many ways your hand can improve, especially if you hit and it makes his str8.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Pre-flop, I like open-limping with the 77 in a typical LL game most of the time. In general, a low or middle pocket pair prefers either a family pot full of loosey-goosey post-flop players, or a heads-up pot against a tight and unimaginitive post-flop player. The former is the more realistic outcome in a typical LL game, and limping-in is more compatible with that set-up.

On the flop, I would fold to the BB's bet. Raising is much better than calling, but folding is best IMO. I would fold something like Td 9d here is the same spot in a LL game, and pocket sevens is considerably worse than this. This flop for 77 is a nice example of reverse implied odds in action.

On the actual flop action, unless you know something very special and very specific about MP3, I think this is an easy fold.

On the turn, I check with the intention of folding. Yay for the free card. C'moooooon 4. With no club.

I wouldn't bet out on the river. I think that the river is a close decision between checking and folding and checking and calling. The turn action may have induced a bluff from what might be an overplayed (on the flop) flush draw.

Checking and calling on the river is already going far enough enough in terms of wishful thinking. Betting the river seems awkward. It seems unlikely that the opponent will fold a better hand, and the range of worse hands that will call (or raise) you seems to be limited.

On the actual river action, I would fold to the raise, unless I gave the opponent a load of respect in terms of making a creative river bluff-raise. But I hate bet-folding this river. With a weak hand that is maybe good but doesn't seem to warrant a value bet, check-call is a superior use of one big bet.

ScottyZ
  • Meh the pot is tiny on the flop why fight so hard for it. This whole hand seems read-based. If you think the BB has nothing then your raise is marginal but ok. I probably call the 3-bet on the flop planning to dump to a turn bet but once he checks behind I'm going to have to check/call on the end since a busted flush draw isn't paying off a value bet usually but the turn check shows enough weakness that folding would be bad.
  • I actually think I probably fold to the flop 3 bet if the BB calls, but given the BB was knocked out, and I thought there was a reasonable chance that MP3 was on a flush draw (I didn't see him playing a set this fast), I thought I'd peel.

The turn is actually a pretty good card since I pickup a double gutshot draw, I was prepared to call here (I'd hate to lead and get raised when I figure I have outs and have to call, but maybe I should have bet given I thought MP might be on a flush draw?).

When he checked behind the turn, I felt like my sevens were good and that he was on a flush draw.

Which of course leads to my retarded river bet. Being as I put him on a busted draw I should have checked, giving him a chance to bluff his missed draw. But my conficting thought was that he's a loose player, and I could maybe make a thin value bet. In hindsight I actually missed the 4 card straight on the board (I think I was thinking "No club, no overcard", and when I saw the 2d I immediately thought "Blank - he missed"). My exact thoughts after the river raise was "He's bluff raising me?!? Come on..."

Villain of course had A4c and had a ton of outs against me. So my read was right (sort of). But the river bet based on that read was entirely stupid. Check-call would have been much better IMO.