Poorly played blind defense vs a TAGGY button raise

OK, a recently oddly (probably poorly) played hand (including my convoluted thought process along the way)... Villian is a TAG (17.5/8/2.8), and has shown himself to be a frequent stealer with a wide range as well.

PokerRoom 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Jd, Kc.
7 folds, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, 1 fold, Button calls.

I don't really want the BB in here, so the iso raise seems justified (assuming I'm going to play the hand in the first place).

Flop: (7 SB) Jh, Js, 5d (2 players)
Hero bets, Button calls.

Being as I 3 bet preflop, I figure I might as well lead, since he expects me to anyways.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2h (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

This street annoys me. In hindsight I felt like I should have continued to lead here, if he has a pair, he probably pops me here, and then I 3 bet, but instead I decide to try a check-raise, but then figure it will seem transparent that I have a monster, and give him an exit from the hand, so instead I intend to CR the river and make it more difficult for him to fold given the pot size.

River: (6.50 BB) Ks (2 players)

Ugh, I hate the overcard, since if he has a small pair he likely checks behind now, so I can't count on him betting, so instead I make the weird donk out bet and hope for a call.

Hero bets, Button folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Villain went on to chastise me for chasing down my overcards (I think he must have thought I had AK given the way I played the hand, he said he had 88 which I'm not sure I believe or not). I make a note to bluff this guy more often on river scare cards.

In essence, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to play the hand fast or slow, and ended up somewhere in the middle, making probably the least amount I could as a result. Bash away!

Comments

• If you give him credit for any-ace, any-pair, any-two-paint, button steal, then I think you played it perfectly.  While you didn't have this information before the hand -- he can fold a losing hand, you are not getting more out of him.  I think you got the most. If you bet the turn, he's likely going to fold.  And, there's no way he's betting that river. 

Cheers
    Magi