Legends at the Bike

So, what did you guys think of that final table?

My impressions....

Hon Le deserves the nickname "Kamikaze". What a reckless player! I sure as hell don't jump around laughing because I hit a
draw to suckout when I'm all in.
But that's just me.

It was pretty impressive to see
how badly a player of Mark Seif's
calibre could tilt. Maybe there's not such a huge gap between me and the "big boys" after all....

I was really impressed by the way Karagulleyan changed gears once it got heads-up.
I thought he was being kind of dumb showing his hands and so forth, but it really did work to set up the final play.

Kind of a weird guy though....
Rachel was watching it with me
and said more than a few times
"What's with that eyebrow thing?" I had to agree....

Cheers!

Comments

• Don't you think Kathy Liebert's re-raise with AK was too much of an overbet?
    I was really impressed by the way Karagulleyan changed gears once it got heads-up.

Agreed. This was a *great* example of changing gears. When it was multi-handed, his tight play (consistently throwing away even Ace highs in steal position!) accomplished two things:

1. His stack is so big he basically assures himself 2nd place or better, assuming one of the short stacks doesn't get into a freakish doubling up streak.

2. He sets up a nice tight image for when he has to start making real moves when it goes heads up.

Very solid tournament strategy IMO.
    Hon Le deserves the nickname "Kamikaze". What a reckless player! I sure as hell don't jump around laughing because I hit a
    draw to suckout when I'm all in.
    But that's just me.

I know. If anything, if I am him I feel *bad* for making such a bad play. Second pair and a flush draw on the turn when the board is paired doesn't cut it.

But, as you pointed out, his antics sure worked:
    It was pretty impressive to see
    how badly a player of Mark Seif's
    calibre could tilt

:)
    Maybe there's not such a huge gap between me and the "big boys" after all....

I don't think there is either. I mean, look at all of the relative newbies scoring at the large tournaments lately. I think it comes down more to experience, and less on "raw talent". Poker players are made, not born. (Of course, that doesn't explain why new players are winning, but that's still what I think.)

And there's luck in there somewhere too...
    "What's with that eyebrow thing?"

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. At this kind of level, he must be aware of that facial tick (or whatever it was) himself, and I assume he must try to fake it at some times, or he intentionally always does it, or something like that.

This is my general difficulty when trying to pick up tells. Generally players give of more tells when excited/nervous, but it's hard to map the excitedness onto the actual hands. A lot of players get excited when they have good hands, and a lot get excited when they are bluffing. A lot get excited in both situations.

At least he wasn't chewing gum...

ScottyZ
  • I agree it was an awesome game and I was shocked with the outcome. The Kamikaze was very entertaining.:)