Meeting "the gords"

Over the past year or so a friend of mine has actually managed to build a working friendship with "the gords" of The Tragically Hip (Gord Downie and Gord Sinclair) I was approached today by my friend and he said:

"what are you doing this Thursday? Want to meet the Gords?"

Sooooo...just like that, I will be going to Ontario place on Thursday as an official "guests of the hip". Heading to Ontario place in time to be there to watch their 3pm sound check...meet the gords, watch the show then go backstage afterwards with 'em.

Of course I plan on bringing the digi-cam and I hope to post shots here by Friday! yee-hah! :canada:

Comments

• Wow C000L!!!

See if they play poker... tell them all the famous people are doin' it. :)

That sounds awesome. Maybe you should buy your friend an XL Timmy's or something. ;)

ScottyZ
  • I agree with Scotty...you should try and get them to come to the Kitchener-Waterloo tournament! :)
  • Cool....Im from the hometown & never meet them ( saw them play years ago ) ((when they were young))
  • Wow, awesome! Have fun Sloth!
  • Very cool, I'm a big fan of the Hip. I'd be at that show if not for a family reunion.... my friend had tickets and everything. :frown:

About four or five years ago, for Canada Day weekend, me and a friend decided to visit a buddy who had recently moved to Manhattan. The reason we chose Canada Day was because, for some reason, the Hip were doing a Canada Day concert in Central Park. I think it was supposed to be for all the Canadian expats in Manhattan, but we were more than happy to tag along. It was an awesome show, and later that night we went to see Chris Brown and Kate Fenner at a small club.

They were touring with the Hip at the time, and they're a pretty good band in their own right... Anyways, the bar was pretty much empty because nobody in New York knew who Brown and Fenner were, but the Hip were there, singing and playing along at times, but mostly drinking at the bar. They seemed like very cool guys (I only said "hello"), and I think you're going to have an awesome time at the show. And backstage, ya lucky bastard. Pics would be great, looking forward to seeing some!

Regards,
    all_aces
  • That's too cool. Big fan here as well. Have fun.

:canada: rocks.

(PS, just put up a :canada: flag on my garage this week lol)

:rolleyes:
  • I came, I saw, I had a blast! Wow. What a great time I had yesterday. So much to say, but I'll just cut to the fun details.

We were given VIP passes which enabled us to roam freely, not just backstage, but to the crew lounge and just about anywhere. Met Gord Downie before their soundcheck...it was kinda awkward because we were standing in a normal sized hallway, and I was standing with my back to the wall, and he was on the opposite wall across from me only 8 inches away. He was a super nice guy with no hint of an ego. He lead us to the tour office and made sure we got our tickets then said they were about to being soundcheck, so we should grab a seat and that he'd see us after the show.

While walking to the theatre, we met Gord Sinclair and his son, and Johnny Fay.
    Soundcheck was amazing...we had the entire ampittheatre to ourselves with the exception of the crew doing lights etc, we were the only ones in the massive theatre...so it was like getting a 45 minute private showing. After soundcheck, we wandered the park and had lunch (not with the hip) and made it back for the show to our seats (row F...sixth from the front which IMO was better then the front because it was stage level and front row had to cock their heads up the whole show) Boom..the show was awesome with two encores and we make our way backstage again to the crew lounge. Before long "the family" walks in..by this I mean the hip's wives, nephews, brothers etc which itself was really cool. Saw Gord's wife and one of his kids then of course the band came out into the lounge and there was a small after party with the hip mingling around. Gord finally made his way over to our table and said hey. I shook his hand again and thanked him for a great show and he replied with "it was my pleasure Neil, I'm glad you enjoyed it"...now, I know he's only human and whatnot, but I was rather pleased he remembered my name from what was now 10 hours ago. Me, Gord and Ross had small chat again for awhile, had our pic taken and that was the night in a nutshell :) I'm sure I'm leaving out some details, but it all just kind of blurred into meeting Gord.

Here is a pic of me, Anne, and Gord (I look like quite a spaz I must say)

gord.jpg
  • Glad to hear you had a good time sloth. Its always cool when celebraties are cool like that.
  • Awesome... I can't believe he remembered your name! Very cool. Great pic, Sloth, thanks for telling me what I missed lol...

Regards,
    all_aces