what type of internet connection do you have?

Curious to see what the members are using.

Myself, I'm currently using Bell Sympatico Ultra DSL which has been fantastic. A decision I haven't regretted for one second since signing up.

Comments

• Rogers Cable.

on that note, has anyone upgraded to the "Hi-speed Extreme" service?

Seems like a good deal... same monthly price, but you have to buy a modem (which they advertise as $79 after rebates).

Just wondering if anyone's noticed a difference in speed.

hork.
  • I worked for Rogers cable when @ home cable service first came out and there were a ton of network problems. I worked behind a kiosk and it wasn't uncommon for people to come in to return their modems and physically throw them at us.

One time, this guy threw his modem, it hit the girl I was working with, then he crumpled up his cable bill and threw it at me..then he burst out.

Hrrmm...not to smart to ASSAULT someone then throw them your name and address.
  • I've been very happy with the regular Rogers Hi-speed. I typically get results well above average cable, and more in the T1 ballpark, when doing bandwidth tests.

On the other hand, I have seen a couple of examples of people I know with very poor Rogers connections, but I've personally have had good luck with it at 3 or 4 different addresses.

ScottyZ
  • sloth wrote:
    I worked for Rogers cable when @ home cable service first came out and there were a ton of network problems. I worked behind a kiosk and it wasn't uncommon for people to come in to return their modems and physically throw them at us.

Oh yeah, I used to have lots of problems... losing connection on a nightly basis, etc.. all my friends who had it were experiencing the same thing. Lately (the last 3 years) they've been so much better. I've had Rogers Cable at 4 different addresses now and I can't complain one bit about the service. I'm kinda lucky to have it where I live now - a small subdivision amongst miles of endless farmland. :)

hork.
  • where is the best place to do bandwidth testing? We should all go to the same place & post our results :)

bandwidthplace.com is a good one...know of a better one Scotty?
  • sloth wrote:
    where is the best place to do bandwidth testing? We should all go to the same place & post our results :)

bandwidthplace.com is a good one...know of a better one Scotty?
    No, I don't have a favorite, but I'll try that one when I get home and post the results. :)

ScottyZ
  • I use the Shaw SOHO service with the Extreme add-on. It's pretty sexy. Before I added the Extreme I would see around 60-85 KBps average around 7pm. Now I can get 700 KBps download around 7pm. HUGE improvement. Also, my upload speed has increased to a pretty solid 150 KBps. This is good for me since I host my own mail/web/ftp servers.

As far as bandwidth testing, you could try the DSL Reports speed test here: http://speedtest.dslreports.com.

It's a pretty common test, and you can see results for a lot of areas here: http://www.dslreports.com/archive.
  • i have a cogeco cable connection.
    as far as testing speeds, i've always liked broadbandreports.com
    lots of comparison info there too
  • i've voted:D
  • I used the test here:

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/idt4.php

Results:

Communications 3.1 megabits per second
    Storage 377.4 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 2.7 seconds
    Subjective rating Awesome

2nd test From Dsl reports:

Your download speed : 1367345 bps, or 1335 kbps.
    A 166.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 679232 bps, or 663 kbps.
  • The speed test is missing one or more required parameters
    The speed test requires certain information to function. This information is provided by the test start page.
  • I got

Communications 2.5 megabits per second
    Storage 302.5 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 3.4 seconds
    Subjective rating Great

ScottyZ
  • From bandwidth place:

3.7 megabits per second

Communications 3.7 megabits per second
    Storage 457.6 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 2.2 seconds
    Subjective rating Awesome

From DSL Reports:

2004-06-28 23:07:25 EST: 1887 / 882
    Your download speed : 1932776 bps, or 1887 kbps.
    A 235.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 903546 bps, or 882 kbps.

• Local DSL (MTS):
    2.6 megabits per second

Communications 2.6 megabits per second
    Storage 313 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 3.3 seconds
    Subjective rating Great
  • I have Hi-Speed Lite, which is like DSL I think.
  • DSL, but getting choked by hardware. lol Phone line goes into phone company switch box, which splits internet and TV signal. Internet line goes to my dsl modem. Then to my gateway switch/router. Then to my pc. Shutoff my personal firewall and no change. So it's hardware. Still listed as "good" though, so I can live with it. :banghead: lmao
  • DJW...who are you using?
  • I have the Shaw Xtreme-I service ( http://www.shaw.ca/Tmplt.asp?pageID=771 ). It's only a $10-$15 (depending) add-on to your current shaw cable modem service.

I have a SOHO account so I could have a static IP, and 50GB of transfer/month, and then I added the Extreme-I service for 5mb down/1mb up. Pretty awesome.
  • so that must be comparrable to Rogers Xtreme, you'd think, right?

hrrmm....might be something I'll have to look into.
  • Looks pretty close.
    Modem Set-up** Up to 5.0 Mbps download; 800 Kbps upload
    DOCSIS Modem Purchase Purchase of DOCSIS modem required - $79.95 after applicable rebate offer

Doesn't mention anything about usage/mo, but the speed looks pretty good.
  • I upgraded yesterday to Rogers Hi Speed Extreme and there was a noticeable difference.

I went to Bandwidthplace and was getting 3.7 MBps.

Before, my Bittorrents would top off around 40 k/s.. yesterday I was getting 140 k/s.

The modem was ~ $90 after tax, and there's no extra monthly cost.

So far, I'd say it's worth the upgrade! :)

hork.