Alienware computers

Anyone have any thoughts on these? I'm looking for a FAST, high-end home PC. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• No personal experience with them, but I've heard only good things.

/g2
  • They are well-built and tested, but really, unless you plan on playing the latest games on your PC, it's overkill.
  • yeah I thought they were built for gamers. You can buy a nice dell and pay less and it would probably be more then you need.

Red
  • I had used a few for work (I test computer games BTW) and they are good but the price is overkill. Usually when you get an Alienware you are paying a bit extra for the WOW factor (with the lights, case and that), so unless you are getting some kind of deal get one from the local computer shops full assembled and tested with the same specs for a lot less.

I personally like these guys: www.NCIX.com. They are in BC so if you order from them you will have to pay shipping and handling however no PST. So you need to figure out will the S/H be more or less then the PST. Also they price match so you can get them to match the prices of the local shops.
  • SocietyRed wrote:
    yeah I thought they were built for gamers. You can buy a nice dell and pay less and it would probably be more then you need.

Red

If you are looking for a fast, high end computer Dell is not the place you want to look. The prices may be attractive but the quality of the parts they use are sub par. I have A LOT of experience working on computers and Dell's always run slower then any other system with the same specs.
    I agree with Alienware, good stuff but pricey. I usually build my own which is no help to you...but in my personal experience I would stay away from packaged systems from Dell, Gateway, Acer, HP, or Compaq they use very cheap components and generally run much slower then I think they should. If you know what you want as far as processor, video, motherboard, etc. I would consider compiling a list of parts and hitting a local computer store (someone you trust) to get a quote on a system.
  • My brother has the newest area 51 laptop from alienware (or it was the latest a couple months ago) anyway, it has more power than really anything i've seen. If you are just looking for a home computer and aren't going to be gaming (like pc gaming, not onling poker gaming) it is really really overkill. you can definately find a home pc for much cheaper that will fulfill every need you have. The only real problem that i've ever heard with alienware computers is if you have a problem you cannot fix yourself it will likely be hard to find anyone to open it up, another friend of mine who had an alienware laptop tried to take it to a computer shop and the guy said he wouldn't touch it and he'd have to send it back to the manufacterer. this would be another big downside, however i think that to have a problem like this would be rare. enough alienware bashing, my brothers laptop is the sweetest thing ever, i love it... i couldn't ever afford it but it is awesome.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I am still up in the air, but if I go by previous experiences, I will probably end up with one of these things.