any non poker writers here? (screenplays, books, plays etc)

just wondering if there are any writers here for hobby or otherwise. It's been a long while since I've sat down and wrote a script but I used to write quite a bit...even won an award for it here and there.

I've been thinking of picking it up again soon (after my honeymoon) I just find it hard to dedicate the time to it and easily tell myself there isn't a point in finishing it b/c it wouldn't likely be produced anyway. I guess you could say it's been a few years of writers block for me.

Comments

• Sloth,

I use to write a bit and have an idea for a good story, maybe we should get together.

Prophet 22
  • sure if you think we'd "gel" as writers. I've tried before collaberating with other hobby writers...it's tougher than it sounds...like, do you tend to write more for a novel or stage or screen? Then of course, there is genre etc. I could sit and talk hours about stories etc.

I've been stewing on the same storyline for about 4 years now as a film. If I want someone's advice on a storyline, I don't feel comfortable saying: "hey, what do you think of this idea?" because then they almost feel obligated to tell me they like it...what I usually do is pitch it to someone is if it were a TV movie I saw a month or so ago...if they show genuine interest, ask for the title so they can rent it etc, then I consider it a success.

So far, that "test" has shown very good results for my story...including my own brother who is tough to please movie wise. I think just talking about it now got the 'ole juices flowing...sometimes it helps just to talk about it to get the interest/excitement back in an old project.
  • I used to write abit as well.  Actually got published back in college too.  Mostly fictional stuff, and mostly with twisted storylines and plots.  Haven't written much in quite awhile though, just don't have much time anymore.
    :'(
  • see what we need to do then is pool together, agree on a storyline...hammer it out and then have 3-4 of us empty our credit cards to produce it, then enter it into festivals 'n stuff.
  • Sounds like a plan. You already have a storyline for consideration Sloth?
    Guess I may need to make some space on my CC's then, huh? :D
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    Sounds like a plan. You already have a storyline for consideration Sloth?
    Guess I may need to make some space on my CC's then, huh? :D

yeah...it's been rolling in my head for awhile..(read my longer winded post from above) :)
  • sloth wrote:
    So far, that "test" has shown very good results for my story...including my own brother who is tough to please movie wise.

My brother hasn't seen a movie that he doesn't like (except for anything with Ben Stiller in it for some reason) so if you are looking for some positive feedback - I can get rave reviews for you :D And the reviews will be from actual people (re: "The Animal" fiasco from 2001).
  • I've written quite a bit (went to school for Film Production and I did well in the Writing for the Screen classes).

I have a ton of ideas, I just never get off my ass and write them. I spend too much time reading posts here. I once tried to work with someone else but it never really did well. We had vastly different styles and ideas.
  • I work in the film industry so it's practically mandatory that I'm supposed to have a few scripts in development hell. I have a couple of half-finished scripts right now. I'm a good "ideas" person and write great dialogue. I have a writer friend who's good with story points, so it's a nice combo.

If you ever need advice on getting a script produced I can help.
  • wow rabbit, I'll have to keep your email handy. :)
  • sloth wrote:
    wow rabbit, I'll have to keep your email handy. :)

Totally ........ I'm always on the look- out for good scripts.
  • I'm sure Zithal would be interested in directing or get involved in some way shape or form. I've also done some technical side as well as acting in musical productions in recent years (granted, it is only at a high school and university level), but I'll be interested as well if you do get something off the ground.