Very proud of this one, give it a read (esp. BBCZ, Zithal, beanie, & Wolffhound)

Hey everyone....

As most of you know, I write articles for www.oddsnpots.com and I'm pretty proud of the most recent one I put up. I think it's pretty funny, and I used a recent "hot topic" from the Royal Cup for it. Anyways... I'm not just whoring for the site, I really like this article (please don't slam me Wes!!)

http://www.oddsnpots.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=41

Thanks.

Mark

P.S. feedback always appreciated!

Comments

• I've recently started playing more live games. Will also be in a few games with strangers in the near future. Good advice on being aware of your surroundings and I will be now as a result. Excellent article all around.

Al
  • Good article Mark, and I think it's great that you're using the recent situation in such a positive way. You have a very playful writing style (wonder where that comes from ;) which makes it quick and easy to read. While the topics are basic (probably the target readers) I've enjoyed this and your other articles (I did read them before today ;) - at my son's basketball tourney).

As far as this article, I think it is an often-overlooked topic, since most of us (myself included) simply make assumptions based on what we would expect if it were our host (which are often quite different - picture Zithal with 5 kids... <shudder>).
    You should always ask yourself if what you are doing or wearing “fits” your surroundings, or at the very least, will they prevent you from getting invited back?
    You still have 1 more chance ;)
    There’s an old tradition that you don’t eat peanuts at a poker table
    While I don't eat them often, the "peanut" issue for Wolffhound at the Ryder Cup really opened my eyes about a few little (but important) details I hadn't considered. It's great that you point it out for others like me who just didn't think.
    Also, and I am dead serious here, if you are a decent-sized winner in a night of home games, make sure you drop some cash back to the host, as well as anyone who dealt throughout the night. I find it incredibly bad form not to do this, and I think many people agree.
    While I understand your motives and appreciate your generosity, I'm not sold on this one. I host for my own selfish reasons - it's cheaper to buy the chips/tables to host than to keep trying to get a baby-sitter :) . I enjoy having everyone over, and have no financial expectations of my guests. When I go out, I'm the same way. I don't mind giving a few bucks to a chips/chairs fund or pitching in to buy supplies for a great host, but I'll do this as a way of saying thanks REGARDLESS of whether I am a "decent-sized winner". And by the same token, if I do win, I don't plan on doing anything extra (sorry Zithal/g2). Just my 2 cents.
    DrTyore wrote:
    Anyways... I'm not just whoring for the site, I really like this article (please don't slam me Wes!!)
    Maybe Sloth/Wes can tell you were to put the link. I'd like it if you posted a link when you have a new article. I'd like to read them, but it's unlikely I'll be visiting that site often enough to find new ones (sorry).
  • nh sir.
  • Shouldn't this be in 'advertising' just kidding!

You're doing a great job Mark!

Incidentally I saw the post where you played 78 against Shannon....dirty my friend, just plain dirty!!!!
  • Big E wrote:

Incidentally I saw the post where you played 78 against Shannon....dirty my friend, just plain dirty!!!!

Yea... yea it was... :)

But it was 7-8!!! :) You shoulda seen me overplay the hell outta it at the $1-$2 table the other day.

Anyways... like I said, I was just pretty happy with that article, and wanted to share! THanks for the kind words guys!!

Mark
  • The Doctor is out!

The Doctor is out of control, Good article Mark, Always enjoy (was about to print "playing with you" think i will re-phrase) being at the same table as you.

Milton Slim (not yet)
  • I guess I gotta go read the article written by the guy who always tells people at the table """ DON"T GIVE JOE CHIPS"

Edit: Now that I"ve read it, I did get a good laugh, especially since I intentional wore a black t shirt with a giant "medicinal Herb leaf" with a hawaiian shirt. Given my long hair and tendancy not to shave I tried to give my on line personna of Acidjoe a good go. However I guess I was missing the break time with "odour" there. LOL.

I'll have to work on that one next time. BTW good article Mark.
  • Acid Joe is an inspiration! I now own a dozen loud shirts, and have taken tommy chong as my personal mentor! Thanks Joe! :D
  • Mark, you're a good egg!

At some point in our lives we decide to take responsibility for our actions.  This life skill is extremely important in poker.  It's so easy to blame things on the odds and luck as those things have such a great influence on our results. 

While I think it's a great article, I think you should be more proud of how you take feedback and you're willingness to do better.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about how other's perceive your improvements.  Knowing you have improved and continually striving to improve is much more important, IMO. 

BTW, I like Johnny Cash, but I like trying to get you off your game more!

Cheers
    Lou
  • Great job Mark.

I really like playing with you. Two Friday's ago at G2 Greg's I was a little nervous, you made me feel right at home with how "animated" you were.

Thanks man!
  • Great article, I had a great time beating you heads-up.

(oh did I say that out loud)
  • GTA Poker wrote:
    Great article, I had a great time beating you heads-up.

(oh did I say that out loud)

Sigh.. I'll cue up the HBK music... :)

Mark
  • Fking advertising.
  • Good article Mark.
  • Great Job Mark

I think you should be able to have a thread just for your article.. I would like to read more of them.. Just as long as you all donnot go into the manflirting thing.. (shudder)..