Re-visiting SNG strategy.

After a small hiatus from NL SNGs (playing Omaha exclusively) I have returned and found myself doing better than before.

I mostly attribute this to meticulously observing betting patterns.

I simply draw a table on a piece of blank paper and record 2 things beside each player.

1. How many hands they have played.
2. Betting patterns.

Through observing Betting Patterns alone I have most of the info I need to decide whether to fold or raise the majority of my hands.

This doesn't work with all players at the table - but it certainly works for enough of them to build a nice stack.

SNGs are a major part of online play - So basically I am soliciting some feedback about what other strategies have really worked for people???

Thanks

Comments

• Until party changed their structure I simply adopted a push/fold strategy. With short chips and quickly rising blinds it was enough to build a large stack or bust out early.
  • I play the tightest game possible for the first 4-5 players eliminated. I think it's safe to say that at least 4-5 players at your table have no idea what they're doing, one usually being the chip leader busting out someones A's with 4 7 suited. I do the same as you and recording how others play. and once half the table is gone I attack. By recording I know how much to bet to get certain people out, who will fold to a preflop reraise and who will call anything because they already put money in. I have started a table image of being a tight weak player and when I start to play aggresive most players back down letting me build a stack to place 1-2.
  • I am more loose the first couple of levels. I try and see cheap flops with marginal hands.

As for patters, I try and figure them out as well (you have to succeed), however, some people cannot be read and are just nuts. But they are few and far between.

Once the levels have increased most people start to play a little tighter in hopes of making the money. This is a great time to use positon to steal blinds.
  • I used to play a little looser to see cheap flops early but have mostly abandoned that strategy; unless I have position.

My most effective play is similar to what others have mentioned - I play very tight in the early stages. Because of the new party poker structure you can afford to sit and play tight weak during the beginning and not loose many chips. All you need to do is be aggressive with one hand in position when the blinds hit 200-400 and you are already well past your starting stack.

I agree with Joe about the "old" party structure -= with only 800 chips it was completely different - that is why I didnt play SNGs that much. The blinds do increase heavily compared to the chip stack still; but I find the tight early game with a switch to aggressive with the final 5 works quite well.