Switching it Up

I'm trying not to play hands the same all the time - therefore this play.

Criticism at your leisure please.

Full Tilt Poker Game #494217159: Table Living Desert - $2/$4 - Limit Hold'em - 13:56:56 ET - 2006/03/12
Seat 1: Logun007 ($436)
Seat 2: hopeblue ($258)
Seat 3: uglyowl ($76)
Seat 4: vl4226 ($172)
Seat 5: Boots1967 ($82), is sitting out
Seat 6: miss fratelli ($237)
Seat 7: HokieKeeper ($430)
Seat 8: Diggzy Brown ($151)
Seat 9: biggershark ($92)
Logun007 posts the small blind of $1
hopeblue posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Logun007 [9h 9c]
uglyowl raises to $4
vl4226 folds
miss fratelli folds
HokieKeeper folds
Diggzy Brown folds
biggershark folds
Logun007 raises to $6
hopeblue calls $4
uglyowl raises to $8
Logun007 calls $2
hopeblue calls $2
*** FLOP *** [Qd 6h 7h]
Logun007 bets $2

Comments

• Without reads on anyone this is tough.

You have an UTG raiser and then re-raiser. Probably holding anything from JJ AQ AK or QQ KK AA. Odds are you are beat here. You also have hope blue calling everything. I think you are in trouble. Your flop bet is probably going to be raised. Calling the raise isn't horrible but I wouldn't go any further than the turn if the 9 misses, which it probably will.
  • On a typical 2/4LHE game, I like the preflop action.  I also like your probe bet on the flop.  I'd slow down on the turn or release if it's three bet here on the flop.  I think you will be looking at a raise...

stp
  • At 2/4 limit you shouldnt worry about mixing up your play, no one is paying attention anyway just make the correct play.
  • I am trying to figure out where you plan to go with this hand. The two opponents will likely call with any hand even AK correctly and I would assume it is almost a given that you will be raised. I guess I am trying to figure out what your plan is for the turn (assuming it is not a 9) facing likely two opponents. Against one opponent if it is a hyper loose agressive guy then bet/3 bet and see what they do when you bet the turn (they often give up then if they missed). With two opponents I just don't see how this can be played out unless you really believe both have AK somehow.
  • The reason I don't like the flop bet is because you are giving away odds to your opponents to just call based on your massive show of strength preflop and now the leadout on the flop. You lose the ability to raise a LP bet and blow away the field on having to call two cold.
    I also like your probe bet on the flop.

Probe bet? All you are going to do is pacify the people with real hands so they'll just call.

Guys, it's 2/4 not 1k/2k. Why do all our opponents have to have awesome hands to raise? Why are we so quick to find a fold?
  • I agree with the replies here..

with a raise and reraise in front your way behind and raising is -EV..

I might be inclined to flat call depending on read of the 1st 2 betters.. but it's not a great hand anyway ou look at it..

2/4 just p[lay ABC poker.. Hell none of the players will know when you make a play on them anyways so not worth it
  • You have an UTG raiser and then re-raiser.
    with a raise and reraise in front your way behind and raising is -EV..

Reread the OP guys. There's an UTG raise and hero is the 3 bettor. The BB then calls 2 cold and UTG caps.

I think I agree with the others. The lead out bet is giving the BB 13:1 on a call, so overcards, gutshots, backdoor flush draws, etc. will be inclined to hang around. At least if you check-raise you force the BB to call 2 cold. The trouble is even if you're ahead, you've probably got a million cards to dodge, and narrowing the field is a definite must. If UTG 3 bets your huge show of strength by check-raising (unless he's a super lag), you're probably drawing to 2 outs (unless maybe he has a hand like AKh in which case he's still about even money to beat you).
  • Tigerscott wrote:
    2/4 just p[lay ABC poker.. Hell none of the players will know when you make a play on them anyways so not worth it

This seems to be the most common comment from my cross posting of this hand. Upon further reflection its probably the most accurate.

2/4 limit is a breeding ground for calling down with TP. My thoughts at the time were that I might have the best hand and to get more bets in there. Perhaps I can even represent AA/KK. Unfortunately you are all correct and the players at this level are generally not good enough to put that much thought into a hand.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • So.....what did happen?
  • So.....what did happen?

Typical result oriented thinking. What happened is irrelevant.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    So.....what did happen?

Typical result oriented thinking. What happened is irrelevant.

I can't even tell when you're serious anymore.
  • It was a complete mess. I didn't have a firm read on Ugly as I had only seen a couple hands as he had just sat down. He raised both hand I watched and never went to show down.

The turn brough the 9d for me. Lead out Hope raised and Ugly 3 bet again I cap and they both called.

River paired the 6 I bet Hope raised Ugly 3 bets again and I figure I'm dead to QQ, but I cap anyways - Both Called.

Hope showed A6d
    Ugly showd AQos

Ugly went ballistic about my preflop 3 bet - so I thought I would get a better perspective. Personally I think Hope was a complete donkey and Ugly way overplayed his hand.
  • Ugly went ballistic about my preflop 3 bet - so I thought I would get a better perspective. Personally I think Hope was a complete donkey and Ugly way overplayed his hand.

I think Ugly went ballistic because he lost the hand, not because of your play. He had overcards which is what you are hoping with your 3 bet. Your 3 bet should have gotten rid of the BB (or made it expensive for him to play). In reality, the hand BB had is even better so you don't even really care if he calls since your opponent's have each others outs. If you manage to fold a hand like JT, KJ, etc. your 3 bet is excellent.

As far as Hope's play, with BP, an overcard and the BD nut flush draw, I don't fault trying to peel one cheaply on the flop to see if the turn brings and A, 6 or diamond. In fact, I think Hope's play is potentially better than Ugly's (post-flop anyways), although I don't think I'd have raised the turn. Ugly definitely overplayed TPTK given the heavy multiway action of the hand. NH.