Couple hands...

I'm not sure I liked either of these hands, but I'm not exactly sure what I don't like about my play either... Thoughts appreciated. Table has been fairly tight and somewhat aggressive, lots of stealing/defending. I obviously need to work better on my table selection...

Hand 1:
PokerRoom 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9s, 9d.
3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, MP3 calls, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4c, 5s, Jh (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, BB folds, Hero calls.

I debated 3 betting here since I figured I was likely ahead, but figured I'd continue to let him bluff at it.

Turn: (5.25 BB) Jc (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

I now think with the 2nd jack hitting, that it's even more likely I'm ahead here, but again I take the passive line and call. I'm not sure whether I should have C/R'd here or donked out.

River: (7.25 BB) Ts (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Again, I decide to check, hoping he'll either keep betting his A high type hand or small pair and at the same time minimizing my loss if he does happen to have a J. I think I played this hand too passively, but not sure where I should have taken an aggressive stance (I think maybe I should have check-raised the turn and folded to a 3 bet). I think sometimes I use the whole WA/WB thing as an excuse to play a hand passively (even when I think I'm ahead), and of course there's no reason to think I'm WA, since I could be up against 2 overs.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Hand 2:

PokerRoom 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Kc, Ac.
5 folds, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, 3 folds, Hero caps, CO calls.

I figure an open raise 2 off the button is going to look like a probable steal attempt, so I'm giving the 3 bettor a pretty wide range here.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Kd, 8d, Qh (2 players)
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, CO folds.

I think maybe the 3 bet is too much here. Headsup it's likely I'm ahead unless I've actually stumbled into a monster like AA, QQ, 88, KQ. The board is draw heavy and I don't have any real redraws. If I'm behind I'm probably getting smooth called and then raised on the turn. If I'm ahead to a medium pair or a hand like AQ the 3 bet probably let's him get away from his hand. So it doesn't seem like the 3 bet has much value here. On the other hand, I can't see flat calling the raise and risking giving a free card by trying to C/R the turn on such a draw heavy board. I guess I could call and donk the turn, but that just seems odd...

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Comments

• I probably play both the same, when I get raised on the J45 rainbow board I think there's a better chance than usual that my opponent actually has a hand since there's not many realistic draws so calling down seems best if he's not passive enough to fold to. If you really think you're best you could consider donking the river so he can't check behind on you, but if he's the type to bet almost anything there then let him bluff again or value bet his worse hand.

Hand 2 I see your point about a 3-bet not being great. On the other hand I think a lot of epeople will call down with some strange stuff here and you're probably not getting much actiion from small pocket pairs here regardless so it can't be that bad. Cap preflop for sure.
  • First hand, i think i play it the same way... i might bet the river just so he can't check behind, seems pretty much like he just has high cards.

Second hand, i like the cap preflop but i don't see why you would 3-bet the flop, just call his raise see the turn and check-raise.