Banning

I was recently banned from posting and PMs for 10 days. The explaination for this was this...

SEE HERE

So, I was banned from from posting or sending personal messages on this forum. OK

The reason was I cannot post for 10 days. What?!?! I don't understand.

Here is what happened. I tried using this forum in an intelligent way. I had information regarding the 2006 Degree Poker Championship. Instead of starting a 50th thread regarding this topic, and over-assuming the logic of some members, I used the infamous SEARCH button and found the pre-existing threads that mentioned the Degree Tournament. I then proceeded to post my new info in each of the results. I had assumed that someone coming to this forum looking for such information would naturally SEARCH for "Degree" and voila, there would be the most relevant info. Yes, this amounted to me posting the same info repeatedly, so I guess I was actually banned for spamming. From now on, I will continue to start new thread after new thread about previously discussed issues, even if I know it has already been started, duscussed and died.

Is poker legal in bars? Home games? Can you laydown KK pre-flop in a cash game? Any home games in KW? Anyone else think Hellmuth is an ass?

OUT

Comments

• 13CARDS wrote:
    I then proceeded to post my new info in each of the results.
    13CARDS wrote:
    From now on, I will continue to start new thread after new thread about previously discussed issues, even if I know it has already been started, duscussed and died.

By your own statement, you weren't banned for starting a new thread or even posting in an old one. You posted the same thing REPEATEDLY. Pick a SINGLE thread, make your post with your valuable info, and then let people find it.

From those of us who read everything that's posted, thanks to "the management" for trying to keep the forum :spam: free!
  • Use this next time:
  • I'm pretty sure most people use the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature. Its really not necessary to post the same thing in multiple threads. And serioulsy, how old are you? You broke the rules, you got banned for a period of time, and now you want to take revenge on the forum by clogging it with useless threads. Get a life. You're just going to get permanently banned if you do this.
  • Maybe 13cards is a reference to the fact he isn't playing with a full deck...
  • I absolutley appreciate what you are saying beanie42.

The reason I posted in multiple pre-existing threads was because of the results often given by the SEARCH button. For example, if you do a SEARCH for this topic heading, Banning, this thread comes up 15th on a list of topics:
    Banning
    in Site Feedback
    Banning by 13CARDS 13CARDS 15.1% Today at 03:14:49 PM

Notice that I did a SEARCH for the exact title and still only got a 15.1% relevancy rating. When I SEARCHed for Degree to make my posts, I took quite awhile to find the relevant threads that I wanted to post in.
  • Well in all defence of the search engine, looking for "banning" around here is like searching google for "Web Site".

IMHO, It seems like 13 was trying to be helpful by putting his content in the right spot but just didn't consider that every thread that gets a response makes in appear in the 'search for new' list..
  • I've had issues with the forum search engine as well.  However, duplicating the same content is not the best way to handle it.  Email support and report the issue, and maybe it will be fixed.  You can also use google to search the forum. 

As far as "banning" being 15th, it's 3rd in my list.  The forum's search engine may use replies or views to rank the relevance of a thread (not sure about this, but it would make sense).

Finally,  I understand your justification for breaking the rules, but you broke them.  If you have a problem with the "no duplicate posts" then either try to get the rule changed (although I think most would fight this, and I can't see it happening) or find a forum without that rule.  Simply saying "dumb rule, so it doesn't apply to me" makes no sense.
  • Posting identical content in about 10 different threads is a severe violation of the following from the FAQ:
    4. Excessive and/or repetitive posting, even if the individual posts are legitimate. This includes, but is not limited to, posting two or more similar posts in separate threads.

ScottyZ
  • I am sorry for mis-using this forum. I will try in the future to maintain the status quo of the current members. I will not make multiple posts about the same topic.
    And serioulsy, how old are you?

30 years of age...why do you ask?
    now you want to take revenge on the forum by clogging it with useless threads

I have posted one new thread...I am sorry if this is clogging the forum. Useless? Probably, but so are a lot of threads here. I was merely trying to voice my concern over my banning and express why I felt it was undeserved.
  • beanie42 wrote:
    Simply saying "dumb rule, so it doesn't apply to me" makes no sense.

I do not believe I said this.
  • And serioulsy, how old are you?
    30 years of age...why do you ask?
    Because, as Scotty said, you clearly broke rule #4 in FAQ and now you're whining about it. That doesn't sound like something any adult would do. Even if you had good intentions, its only a 10-day ban from a poker forum. Plenty of other things to do with your time. Play some poker instead.
    now you want to take revenge on the forum by clogging it with useless threads
    I have posted one new thread...I am sorry if this is clogging the forum. Useless? Probably, but so are a lot of threads here. I was merely trying to voice my concern over my banning and express why I felt it was undeserved.

I missed the tone in the original post. My bad.
  • I can't remember any posts from 13cards that have ever gave me a...i dunno...bad feeling. I'd like to see a lot more 'warnings' prior to actual bannings. I guess this could be happening and I wouldn't be aware of it. I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt and the chance to explain themselves before I am punitive.

Like I said though, I am very unaware of if warnings are being given out as a rule prior to bannings. Perhaps the mods could clarify this...

stp
  • I'll do you one better
    I can't remember any posts from 13cards at all
  • BBC Z wrote:
    I'll do you one better
    I can't remember any posts from 13cards at all

Now that's funny. Really.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Well in all defence of the search engine

BBC you kill me.
  • I think some people get overly upset about being temporarily banned. It is a warning that you are abusing the forum. What do you expect the management to do? Give warnings, temporarily ban, and then have to permanently ban. I think their methods have kept a lot of crap of the forum and so I appreciate them.
  • I appreciate them, too!
  • This is the second time someone got banned without a warning or anything. This appears to happen to topic/posts that are in the grey area as well. I think maybe a warning or something would be more appropriate then just banning someone.
    This sort of thing puts total control in one persons hands and if that person has a momentary lapse in judgement someone disappears for a while. This is after all a free country.
  • SocietyRed wrote:
    This is the second time someone got banned without a warning or anything. This appears to happen to topic/posts that are in the grey area as well. I think maybe a warning or something would be more appropriate then just banning someone.
    This sort of thing puts total control in one persons hands and if that person has a momentary lapse in judgement someone disappears for a while. This is after all a free country.

Yes it is a free country, but that does not give everyone the right to abuse a website run by other people. I think your point may be valid if 13Cards was banned forever. It was a temporary ban, that in itself is a warning.
    If I started a thread that promoted racism or other kinds of hate should I be given a nice little warning or a banning? I know this is a much more severe rule infringement but I think you get my point.

In regards to the rule that caused the temporary ban of 13Cards, it was spamming and this site gets spammed a lot. You just don't know because the moderators clean it up and ban the people involved. In these cases it is a good thing. You can't be nicey nicey about it.
  • This is after all a free country.
    That is so funny. And so non-sequitur.

I hope you don't complain when someone else's dog craps on your lawn.

• If I started a thread that promoted racism or other kinds of hate should I be given a nice little warning or a banning? I know this is a much more severe rule infringement but I think you get my point.

What about eating babies? Isn't THAT a little crude?

Baby-eater.

Mark
  • But I don't spam post about my baby eating. I just elude to it. Just like man-flirting.
  • Hey now...

Don't try to turn this whole thing on me!! I'm not doing anything wrong; Brokeback Mountain says so.

Mark
  • Wow this is so off topic. What were we talking about again? What are good poker books to read? Your aces got cracked?
  • Someone mentioned non-sequitur

So... do you like pickles?

Mark