books for study

Hi Dave,

One of the sections I really enjoyed in your book was the 'other resources' section.

I am trying to further my understanding of hold'em and am wondering what your opinion is of the following books:
Middle Limit Holdem - Bob Ciaffone
I find this book quite good but I heard that his advices is a bit too tight - he often recommends to fold. What do you think?

Internet Texas Hold'em - Matthew Hilger
I just ordered this book b/c I heard a lot of good things about it - just wondering if you have read it and your opinion on it

thanks,

Comments

• I am not familiar with either book.

Generally, Ciaffone reccomends a very tight and aggressive approach. Tighter than most authors. Everything I have read by Ciaffone I really like.
  • I found Ciaffone to be a little weak-tight for my liking. The Middle Limit Hold 'em Book is trash, I like his PL/NL book much better.

My Poker library includes:

Theory of Poker (Sklansky) - I've worn the cover off this one. Read it somewhere in the vicinity of 8 times. My Bible.

Hold 'em Poker (Sklansky) - Pretty much a bunch of chapters on hold 'em fundamentals i.e. Pot Odds/Effective Odds/Implied Odds/bluffing/semi-bluffing/etc.

Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players (Sklansky/Malmuth) - This is the other book I've read more than 5 times.

Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (Sklansky) - I've only read it twice, and it's very theoretical, much more so than the other 2+2 books (if that's possible)

Super/System (Brunson) - way out of date, virtually every game in there is defunct or uses different structures but by far the most entertaining book on Poker I've ever read (strategy-wise). It's the bible not so much for its strategic advice anymore, but for it's Poker lifestyle advice and NLHE section.

Poker Essays Vols 1,2,3 (Malmuth) - Great essays on lots of different concepts, it's basically a list of ways great players think about the game once they have the fundamentals down pat.

Championship PL/NL Hold 'em (Cloutier/McEvoy) - very dry material but a must read if you play NL hold 'em in cash games and tournaments. The advice is really aggressive, though not as crazy as Doyle's.

The Psychology of Poker (Schoonmaker) - I liked this book more for the classification of player types and what drives different types of players. It's much easier to sit down at a table and begin to hypothesize about players' style of play before I see cards get shown down. Finding yourself in there is a much harder task :)

Inside the Poker Mind (Feeney) - Haven't read it yet, I'll get to it.

Winning Small Stakes Hold 'em (Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth) - In the mail. Even though I don't play small stakes anymore, I bought it for two reasons: One, Miller is a good guy who has given me lots of advice, and two, with the millions of people playing poker, many games at 10/20 and up are just as loose as the 5/10 at Rama. The 50/100 game at Port Perry last week was insane, for example, and a pleasure to play in - averaged 3-4 every flop, even for a raise.

Hope this helps.
  • Needless to say, I am a big fan of 2+2 Publishing LLC.