Okay - a $425 loss to a Straight Flush vs Straight Flush..

I was sooooooooooooo close to laying this down.  My gut told me he had the higher straight flush, but, my finger just wouldn't get off the call button. 

THIS ONE HURT.  I know all you can say for that much he must have it, but, basically only one card beats me.

Comments??  Be Gentle Hartgosh.. lol (All Aces, do you call here?)

PokerStars Game #4134453445:  Hold'em No Limit ($3/$6) - 2006/02/28 - 22:51:52 (ET)
Table 'Lesath' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Folded-AA ($427.50 in chips)
Seat 2: golfpro19 ($368 in chips)
Seat 3: ElkY ($1113.45 in chips)
Seat 5: RJAYC ($441.70 in chips)
RJAYC: posts small blind $3
jplayers joins the table at seat #6
Folded-AA: posts big blind $6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Folded-AA [Th 2d]
golfpro19: folds
ElkY: folds
RJAYC: calls $3
Folded-AA: checks
*** FLOP *** [6d 4h 3d]
RJAYC: bets $6
Folded-AA: calls $6
*** TURN *** [6d 4h 3d] [4d]
RJAYC: bets $6
Folded-AA: calls $6
*** RIVER *** [6d 4h 3d 4d] [5d]
RJAYC: bets $423.70 and is all-in
Folded-AA: calls $409.50 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RJAYC: shows [7d 7c] (a straight flush, Three to Seven)
Folded-AA: mucks hand
RJAYC collected $853 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $855 | Rake $2
Board [6d 4h 3d 4d 5d]
Seat 1: Folded-AA (big blind) mucked [Th 2d]
Seat 2: golfpro19 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: ElkY (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: RJAYC (small blind) showed [7d 7c] and won ($853) with a straight flush, Three to Seven

Comments

• that sucks, but you couldve folded on the flop pretty easily i think, probably even the turn.
  • well lets compute the pot odds on the river..... :)
  • what were they?
  • battle of the blinds too...

You have a straight flush but the river bet screams 'no fear'...

There is $36.00 in the pot at the turn. Hmmm, I'd like to say I'd muck it but it is one of those situaitons where you have to be in the situation to know for sure.

Dont fret too much tho - you lost with a straight flush.  I've lost comparable amounts with a lot less!
  • Devin? Your thoughts?
  • I would fold the flop, fold the turn, and fold the river if he hasn't done anything to show hes insane.  He's betting 400 into 36, what else could a sane person have?
  • I think your call on the flop and turn caused you to get into this tough decision
  • I fold the flop.  If, however, I found myself facing this bizarre situation (holding the sucker end of a straight flush facing a $400 bet into a $36 pot) I honestly have no idea what I'd do.  I've never been in anything close to that spot before.  I'd probably call, because I've never folded a straight flush, but that's no reason to call.  It would largely depend on what my opponent is like... he can't be that sane though to make such a HUGE overbet.  He only gets called by one hand, and maybe. I'd probably think that he thinks that which is why he bet so much and maybe call... I don't know dude, it's a tough one.
  • I agree I should fold the turn and the flop.

However, I agree with you Devin. Such a huge overbet made me wonder??? I took the whole time allotment and thought about it. It he bets $100 or so I probably fold.

As for a read, it was only his 3rd hand..

It sucks, but, I did put myself in that situation. I just couldn't lay it down..

ME
  • I might push if i was him. Why bet like 50 and get paid off most of the time when you can bet 400 and still get paid off 1/5th or 1/6th as often. it's such a strange spot and some people just don't fold full houses/quads/straight flushes.
  • SirWatts wrote:
    .  it's such a strange spot and some people just don't fold full houses/quads/straight flushes....

....trips, a pair, Ace high, King high....

stp
  • What I really think about this hand though....Obviously you should have folded on the flop and turn but NEVER fold that on the river when playing on the internet. I don't care who you are, you're not folding that. SirWatts post says it best, some people can't fold a boat, quads etc...and others conversely will make that bet with Any painted diamond. I'm never going to fold a straight flush, if you have a higher one then you can have my money.

Cory, c'mon....your name is folded. Don't tell us your gonna call the flop and the turn for gutshots/flush and then fold when you hit an absolute monster. How fast did you really get the chips in?

stp
  • This is 3/6 NL though, I assume most people have some vague idea how to play poker at this level, though I could be way off here.
  • To be totally honest..

I was originally 90/10 going to fold
    then pressed time..

I sat there for 30 sec and just couldn't see myself laying down a straight flush.  With 2 sec left, I press call..  (and then cried) lol
  • SirWatts wrote:
    This is 3/6 NL though, I assume  most people have some vague idea how to play poker at this level, though I could be way off here.

Just because a player is playing at a 'high' (er) limit doesn't mean that their particular level of skill is high(er). I knew this guy once playing $3/6NL that called off all of his chips on......Oh nevermind...

stp
  • This kind of reminds me of the situation that does come up more often (though still rare) of a board with 2 pairs and an overcard like KQQ77. If I have KK there or KQ I will vastly overbet the situation into a small pot since the only person who will call is someone with a Q even though the best they can really hope for is a tie. I have seen people call in similar bet size/pot ratios as the initial situation and I have yet to ever think it is the right call.

The guy made the perfect bet. That board is so strange that only a person with the card you had or maybe the ace will call any bet above $10 given the small pot size so may as well go for it and hope they make that call.
  • U can NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR fold on the river. You will lose in that spot tops a few times in your career. The mistake is playin cash games on stars, and callin a bet on the flop.

otherwise bad luck. I have personally only lost with a straight flush once, and at the time Rob mizrachi was standing behind me and he said "I have never lost with a straight flush in my life"

bad luck dude.
  • stpboy wrote:
    What I really think about this hand though....Obviously you should have folded on the flop and turn but NEVER fold that on the river when playing on the internet.  I don't care who you are, you're not folding that.  SirWatts post says it best, some people can't fold a boat, quads etc...and others conversely will make that bet with Any painted diamond.  I'm never going to fold a straight flush, if you have a higher one then you can have my money. 
    stp

I can't agree more...there's no way I could have let that go at that point, mind you I'd never get to that point...I dump that hand to the post-flop bet every time.
    Man Cory I don't know what to say, that is just sick (I don't mean your play, I mean the feeling in your stomach when you click call and the cards flip over).
  • wow I think I would have had to call also, I feel your pain tho that is a very tough spot to be in, I would probably have to take a good break after that one.
  • I would lose my soul to the devil himself on this one.
  • Big E wrote:
    stpboy wrote:
    What I really think about this hand though....Obviously you should have folded on the flop and turn but NEVER fold that on the river when playing on the internet.  I don't care who you are, you're not folding that.  SirWatts post says it best, some people can't fold a boat, quads etc...and others conversely will make that bet with Any painted diamond.  I'm never going to fold a straight flush, if you have a higher one then you can have my money. 
    stp

I can't agree more...there's no way I could have let that go at that point, mind you I'd never get to that point...I dump that hand to the post-flop bet every time.
    Man Cory I don't know what to say, that is just sick (I don't mean your play, I mean the feeling in your stomach when you click call and the cards flip over).

Eric, to be honest... You have no idea the feeling in my stomach at that point. It sucked!!
  • folded wrote:
    Eric, to be honest... You have no idea the feeling in my stomach at that point.  It sucked!!

your right, bro I feel for you that is a tough loss...but you'll get it back...just keep that in your mind!