Monitor for Multitabling?

I've gotten to the point where playing 4 tables at once seems slow to me. I want to add more, but that would definitely not go well on my laptop screen. Can someone tell me what size monitor and resolution I should be looking at to fit 4 tables, preferably with no overlap. Also, what about screens that can fit more tables? Anyone who knows what you're talking about please help.

I'm now seeing that some monitors have video card requirements. My laptop is a couple years old. It has an ATi Radeon 9200.

Comments

• You'll want 1600x1200 resolution to be 4-tabling most sites, although with the recent Party Poker changes, you can do it with any resolution.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    You'll want 1600x1200 resolution to be 4-tabling most sites, although with the recent Party Poker changes, you can do it with any resolution.

Yea, I just don't like how small the tables have to be so they dont overlap.
  • Hmmm, I'm looking at the 24" Dell LCD on the Stars FPP store and it looks tasty. Not even overly expensive at 72,000 FPP. I may just go back Stars to earn that thing so I don't actually have to pay for a monitor.
  • I'm assuming you are talking about the Dell 2405? Once every season (if I remember correctly), Dell has their "Dell 10 Days of Deals", and there are usually a day or two where its "devoted" to LCD monitors, with the 2405 being one of the ones on sale during their most recent one (before Christmas).
  • i have the Dell 2001FP (the 20" LCD in the FPP store) and it's sweet. Before party let you resize windows this was the standard monitor most people were using to 4 table.
  • SirWatts wrote:
    i have the Dell 2001FP (the 20" LCD in the FPP store) and it's sweet. Before party let you resize windows this was the standard monitor most people were using to 4 table.

They all fit without overlap?
  • Yeah you just need 1600x1200 resolution which it supports.
  • zero, all you need is a 1600x1200 res monitor, if you don't mind bulky, there's one at bestbuy.ca for $179
  • Sorry I don't know much about this monitor stuff, but can someone tell me how many Party/Stars tables would fit on the 24'' widescreen 1920X1200 monitor in the FPP store? Thanks.

Oh and is there generally a video card requirement for monitors?
  • Now that you can resize your table on Party, I think you can fit a few more. I don't know the exact number, but with the 24" you can at least get 4 without overlapping for sure (since you can do 4 on a 1600x1200), probably 6 but you might experience some overlaps.
  • Well, without shrinking them, they are 800x600 windows. So at 1600x1200, they tile 2x2. Going to 1920x1200 only adds 320 wide, so you can't add any more windows without overlapping them.
  • hmmm, so then maybe 2 of the 20.1" monitors is best.
  • zero wrote:
    hmmm, so then maybe 2 of the 20.1" monitors is best.

As long as they do 1600x1200 res, yeah.

btw - did you say you were hooking 2 monitors up to your laptop? Does you laptop have more than one video output?
  • Hork42 wrote:
    btw - did you say you were hooking 2 monitors up to your laptop? Does you laptop have more than one video output?

Good point. I guess it only has one, unless you can use s-video for that. Looks like I'll just get the one 24''. And again, is there any video card requirement?
  • zero wrote:
    Good point. I guess it only has one, unless you can use s-video for that.

Uhh, if you want to hook it up to a TV (don't)
    is there any video card requirement?

A Radeon 9200 should be able to do what you need it to do for this... I wouldn't worry.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    zero wrote:

Is there a particular reason for this Hork?
  • westside8 wrote:
    Hork42 wrote:
    zero wrote:

Is there a particular reason for this Hork?

are you going to get 1600x1200 res on a tv thru S-Video?
  • Ok. I get your point. But does it normally cause any harm to the computer if I connect my laptop to the TV and watches things through my TV rather then the laptop monitor?
  • westside8 wrote:
    Ok. I get your point. But does it normally cause any harm to the computer if I connect my laptop to the TV and watches things through my TV rather then the laptop monitor?

No not at all. I was just commenting based on zero's situation, trying to get as many tables on the screen without overlap...

Feel free to experiment with cross-appliance connections to your heart's desire. I won't judge.
  • buy a video card and get a 2nd monitor...

have a lot of friends who have 2 Dell 2001fp's 1600x1200 flat screens that like to 8 table. ( Link for dells http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=CADHS1&sku=320-1578&category_id=4009 )
    Even if you 4 table on one monitor you can run poker tracker and other things on the second..
  • Laptop. Notebook. Portable.

Try sticking a 2nd video card in one of those...

But yes, I agree those Dell fp's are nice.
  • zero wrote:

yes for the wide screen monitors you'll need a video card that supports the resolutuion, not all of them do.
  • Big E wrote:
    zero wrote:
    yes for the wide screen monitors you'll need a video card that supports the resolutuion, not all of them do.

Thanks. I just checked the specs of my video card and it supports up to 2048x1536, so that wide screen in FPP store should work since its only 1920X1200 (it specifically supports that res at 100Hz whatever that means).
  • Hz is the refresh rate. High res. at low Hz leads to flicker. This gets annoying real fast!
  • Hz is the refresh rate. High res. at low Hz leads to flicker. This gets annoying real fast!

Hmmm, right now I'm running 1280x1024 at 160Hz. You think I'll have that flicker problem with the new monitor? I'd hate to waste 72000 FPP.
  • Nope anything over 100Hz is fine for higher resolutions. It's down around the 60-80 range at about 1200x1600 where you see flicker. It looks like on the news when you see a monitor in the background with the lines scrolling on it. That's because the screen is updating at 60 frames per second, where the video recording is at 24 frames per second.

This also mostly applies to CRT monitors where the pixels are updated sequentially, line-by-line. Flat panels are much better, which is why you see those on most shows where they actually put stuff on the screen - like Poker Night Live! (shamless plug for ya aces).
  • My computer is a 5 year old Dell, I don't know what the video card is but i assume it's nothing amazing. Anyways it handles 1600x1200 no problem so I doubt your video card would be an issue.
  • I know this thread is old, however I have cranked up my resolution and find my eyes hurt. So I guess I need a newer monitor. Is the dell flat screen still the way to go. I have very little desk space so would like an LCD if they can be cranked up that high.
  • Acid

what sort of video card do you have? if you have a newer video card with a DVI input you can pick up 2 LCD 17' monitors (I use LG1710). They are nice monitors and dependong on your video card can go up to 1280x1024, I find that anything higher than this gets too hard on the eyes.

If you can't fit 2 LCD's on your desk the LG 19' monitors are a real good deal.
  • I'm using 1280x 1024 now with a 19" CRT monitor. It's when I go higher than that my eyes hurt. I don't have the desk space for 2 monitors.