Canada And Russia

Does it get any better than this? Who is watching?

Canada 4-2

Prophet 22

Comments

• Watching, Canada 2-1 Brodeur stands on his head again. Iginla looks good so far, Bertuzzi will have another good game as will Doan.

Go Canada!
  • Pretty good first period for Canada. First couple of power plays sluggish but the last one was good.

Prophet 22
  • Great penalty killing by Doan.

Russia looks dangerous on the rush. Canada's d are backing in too deep.

I am hoping that Bertuzzi's comes across the middle and lays out Kovalchuk or Ovechkin.
  • Go Canada!!!

nothing to say, just wanted my flag waver on this page

Milton Slim (not yet)
  • scoreless game thus far ... third period to come. Canada on the power play.

Prophet 22
  • Bertuzzi is playing very well.

So is Brodeur, but that goes without saying.  McCabe seems to be hell-bent on scoring from the point... granted, he's good at it but there are times when he should obviously be passing instead of shooting.

This close game is making me very very nervous.  Russia looks good.  Go Canada.

BTW Russia seems to be carrying the puck in a lot, and Canada seems to be dumping it in a lot. This is not good...
  • bad penalty and the result ... Russia goal

Prophet 22
  • Doesn't look good...

Somebody find Paul Henderson!!
  • It is one thing to be out skilled by the Russians it is another thing to be out worked.  Where were our young stars?  The Russians young stars showed.  The Swiss game was an eye opener and they didn't pick it up.  As much as we missed Mario, I really think we missed them impact of a Stevie Y. If not for goal tending, it could have been 6-0 today.  Three games in this building and zero goals.

Prophet 22
  • Yep. They looked totally flat.

It's one thing for us not to win the gold medal, but to miss out on the entire medal round? C'MON GUYS!!!!
  • Unfortunate but they did not have the leadership of Stevie and Mario.  I also thought some of the players were a question mark as some of the players were on this team because of 2004.  I am a wings fan but have to question Draper being on the team as well as Bertuzi and a couple others.  With that being said there was a lot hanging on Team Canada's shoulders and Greztky/Bertuzi personally.  It is hard to really be Happy of the outcome.  But deep down we all know CANADA KICKS ASS!!!
  • The team selection will be questioned for years to come... Lost in the FOG. (Friends Of Gretzky).

I think the exclusion of some of the young snipers cost us some goals. Put a Spezza/Heatley/Staal line out there. I would have also liked to see the Tampa Bay boys play on a line together, since they'd have some chemistry already.

I can understand losing in a tough field (the other countries are certainly catching up in skill) but to be shut out THREE times is inexcusable.

That said, GO USA! Oh. they're out too?? <snicker>
  • Pat Quinn will loose his job in two weeks. Can't get the Leafs to win, can't get Canada's best motivated.
  • Pat Quinn will loose his job in two weeks. Can't get the Leafs to win, can't get Canada's best motivated.

I believe that they were motivated. They did not play as a team. They couldn't even string together 2 passes all tourney.

Many of their forwards are underachieving in the NHL this year and nothing changed in the Olympics.
  • Hate to say this but it looks good on them. I'm still of the belief that NHL players should stay away and let amateur players represent Canada. I'm curious how many will stick around for the closing ceremomy. I bet its none since none came to the opening ceremonies.
  • SocietyRed wrote:
    Hate to say this but it looks good on them. I'm still of the belief that NHL players should stay away and let amateur players represent Canada. I'm curious how many will stick around for the closing ceremomy. I bet its none since none came to the opening ceremonies.

Well, the main reason they didn't go for the Opening Ceremonies was that they were still playing NHL games when the ceremonies took place.

None of the eliminated teams will stay for the Closing Ceremonies. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't on a flight back to North America this evening or early tomorrow morning.
  • Hate to say this but it looks good on them. I'm still of the belief that NHL players should stay away and let amateur players represent Canada.

The only problem with that is the European nations and Russia have professional leagues and they have always allowed those players to play.

Most athletes are no longer really amateurs per se with all the endorsement deals and so forth.

What I found really amusing was the Royal Bank commercials with a of couple athletes who never even qualified for the Olympics.
  • I have always thought pros shouldn't go to the Olympics. The Basketball and Hockey players only go for TV ratings. Where are the pro boxers? They aren't allowed. Or how about Pro Luge? Yeah, you don't see Felipe Benitez there do you. Huh!?