Limit progressions - when did you hit the wall?

I've had downturns (we all have), but I'd like to say I haven't yet hit a point where I've thought, "Holy shit, I'm taking a beating at this limit, I need to move down and regroup..." I know that day has to hit at some point, but just wondered what some of you guys consider to have been your "biggest jump" (in terms of play) in limits?

I think the only reason I'm posting this is because I'm at the point where I know I have a sufficient BR to move up, and the results of what I've been playing haven't been bad (3-6 full), so maybe this is just the kick in the ass I need to move up...

Comments

• ScoobyD wrote:
    just wondered what some of you guys consider to have been your "biggest jump" (in terms of play) in limits?
    I went from .25/.50 all the way up to 2/4 in a day, with a VERY insufficient bankroll. I paused at .50/1 and 1/2 for about 150 hands each.  I only stayed up there for a few hundred hands (about 600 over 4 days).  I didn't find the play any better/worse, it was just more uncomfortable because so much was at risk.  I moved back down until I get my bankroll, but I have no concerns about moving up once I have more $$$ (calibre of play seems the same to me).

Probably doesn't help though, since "above-my-head" is below your normal...
  • I found the biggest jump was to 1/2.  Bonuswhores has an interesting survey right now about what level people play.  The biggest one is limit $1/2 at 21%.  I play $2/4 and some $3/6 and do fine.  I just find I am happiest playing $1/2.  I get a decent win rate, I can clear bonuses easily enough and there is lots of table selection.
  • I can beat $30/$60 but I can't beat $50/$100 LHE yet.  I am still taking shots, though... hopefully in the next year I'll have settled in.

BTW, when all else fails, try my LHE rampage, or Fellknight's (from RGP) NLHE rampage.  You want bad bankroll management?  I'll show you bad bankroll management... ;)
    ScoobyD wrote:
    I've had downturns (we all have), but I'd like to say I haven't yet hit a point where I've thought, "Holy shit, I'm taking a beating at this limit, I need to move down and regroup..." I know that day has to hit at some point, but just wondered what some of you guys consider to have been your "biggest jump" (in terms of play) in limits?

I think the only reason I'm posting this is because I'm at the point where I know I have a sufficient BR to move up, and the results of what I've been playing haven't been bad (3-6 full), so maybe this is just the kick in the ass I need to move up...

You'll never know unless you try, and it sounds to me like you've taken the important things into consideration.  GL.
  • all_aces wrote:
    BTW, when all else fails, try my LHE rampage, or Fellknight's (from RGP) NLHE rampage. You want bad bankroll management? I'll show you bad bankroll management...

I'm curious. Link?
  • Here is the short story of my LHE rampage: http://pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=7937.msg68872#msg68872

And here is the long story: http://pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1013.msg9652#msg9652

And here is Fellknight's NLHE rampaging strategy (scroll down a bit): http://www.fellknight.com/blog/
  • all_aces wrote:

$40 into $45k!? Luxury! Why, back in my day....

Seriously though, did you hear about Chris Ferguson turning $1 into $20k? He followed a very disciplined BR management scheme.

link (audio): http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/images/ourTeam/audio/Pod02-Jesus-Bankroll.mp3

Might be of interest to OP.

Sean
  • $40 into $45k!? Luxury!

Try: "Extremely lucky!"  ;)  And, blissfully unaware of exactly HOW lucky I was to ride it that far.  It got to the point where I was assuming that it would always be that easy.  As I've learned, that is not the case.
  • It got to the point where I was assuming that it would always be that easy.

Actually this is almost EXACTLY what I've been thinking (even though I know it's probably not the case). Maybe I've just been running hot for my last 20k hands or so... I guess I'm just worried about hitting one of those massive nightmare -400BB swings coming at precisely the time I decide to jump limits (although I think I'd have moved back down before I lost that many bets...

As far as the LHE rampage...it's pretty damn tempting, get me out of my stupid conservative BR management funk maybe... :)

Oh, and moose, I have to agree with you about 1-2 (at least on Party). There tended to be so many bonus whoring grinders at that limit, I think I actually found the 2-4 games to be weaker (in general)...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    Oh, and moose, I have to agree with you about 1-2 (at least on Party).  There tended to be so many bonus whoring grinders at that limit, I think I actually found the 2-4 games to be weaker (in general)...

I found my greatest success at 10/20 or at the 10 NL games. I am a 10-20 or 15-30 player - although I have the bank to do so, I don't like the higher limits. I think it's a mental block for me. My wall comes somewhere b/w 20-40 online and 30-60. B&M I am usually cool with 20-40 and 25-50.

I am thinking about the comment regarding the -400BB nights - don't forget you can always live to fight another day.