Tough call

$150 Super Tuesday tournament at Party, started 15 minutes ago.

Here's the third hand:

#Game No : 3555627124
***** Hand History for Game 3555627124 *****
NL Texas Hold'em  Trny:20184649 Level:1 Blinds (10/15) - Tuesday, February 14, 21:02:05 EDT 2006
Table Super Tuesday(598608) Table #80 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: M_A_P ( $1000 )
Seat 2: chressy ( $1285 )
Seat 3: Edoiler ( $1000 )
Seat 4: yoelev11 ( $1060 )
Seat 5: Aces_All ( $1000 )
Seat 6: EkaterinaGrt ( $985 )
Seat 7: travschmaltz ( $940 )
Seat 8: italian09 ( $985 )
Seat 9: kingkiller55 ( $745 )
Seat 10: Big_Ern77 ( $1000 )
Trny:20184649 Level:1
Blinds (10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Aces_All [  Ad Qh ]
Big_Ern77 folds.
M_A_P folds.
chressy calls [15].
Edoiler folds.
yoelev11 calls [15].
Aces_All raises [50].
EkaterinaGrt folds.
travschmaltz folds.
italian09 calls [40].
kingkiller55 calls [35].
chressy calls [35].
yoelev11 calls [35].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7d, Kd, 7h ]
italian09 checks.
kingkiller55 checks.
chressy checks.
yoelev11 checks.
Aces_All bets [100].
italian09 folds.
kingkiller55 calls [100].
chressy folds.
yoelev11 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3s ]
kingkiller55 checks.
Aces_All checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 4h ]
kingkiller55 is all-In  [595]
Aces_All calls [595].
kingkiller55 shows [ 6d, 9d ] a pair of sevens.
Aces_All shows [ Ad, Qh ] a pair of sevens.
Aces_All wins 1640 chips from  the main pot  with a pair of sevens with ace kicker.
Player kingkiller55 finished in 901 place
kingkiller55 has left the table.
Aces_All: what a call
Aces_All: tyty

So, have at it.  Is this the dumbest call in the history of calls, or one of the better ones?

Comments

• I would raise more preflop. I really don't like the call though I have made similar calls myself and seen this type of call made by many good players. Here we know nothing about the player, he could easily have a strong hand and just be hoping we pay off with a king or something and we might even lose to some hands he thinks he's bluffing with. People know that a lot of players view the overbet as weakness and more people are getting clever enough to value bet this way. That being said you Gracz'd him pretty sick here so enjoy it and make use of those chips.
  • Impressive call if it were made after sitting with the opposing player for an hour.

Making that call after 15 minutes - takes great intuition, balls of steel, or stupidity.

Can you clarify???? :)
  • I am insulted... I didn't just sit with him for 15 minutes. It was more like 3.

As for clarifying, I would say it's a pretty equal mix of all three. Intuition mostly. Why so much? I call.
  • takes great intuition, balls of steel, or stupidity.

#2 for sure, whether #1 or #3 apply is based on the results I think (ie. whether the read is right).
  • My vote is dumbest. After all, his name is King Killer! But you're way better at this than me.

The way I see it, your pre-flop raise was kinda low, allowing some mediocre hands in - maybe a small pair or A7s. Your flop bet was smallish, letting the draws stay in. The turn check suggests you're playing high cards and don't want to invest to chase out flush draws. What kind of made hand wouldn't bet here? Or is this what you want him to think? Hmmmmm...

So it coulda been a busted draw betting on the river but gee, there's a lot of hands that beat you there, too!
  • WOW!!

I've never played with you or met you but have heard enough that I had to scroll back and forth over the HH several times convinced I must have missed something.

With the preflop call, the flop call, the turn check, I think it's reasonable to put him on diamonds with the Qd, and unless he has the 3d or 4d, then your A should kick.
    So that eliminates the dumbest play,

With the preflop call, the flop call and the turn check, I think it's also reasonable to put him on an attempted check raise of the turn holding a 7 of some sort, maybe A7, or 87. Then the large bet on the river is intended to look like a steal attempt in order to induce a call.
    So that eliminates the smartest play.

This play winds up somewhere in the middle, neither the best nor worst.

In my opinion, a bet by you on the turn, of say $150-$200, forces your opponent to define his hand....if he holds the 7 you should get check raised and can drop, if he's on the draw, he should drop, either way the hand is over before the river is exposed.
  • Without a read that the villian was a complete moron (which is unlikely being the 3rd hand), there's no way I could make this call. I must admit I'm surprised to see this move considering the sister TT thread :)
  • Please post the next time the guy flips over K7. That's usually what happens when I try and pull this chit. lol that was sick.
  • If only your opponent had called your $100 bet on the flop and then lead out with $100 on the turn. That would have been some mAdsKiLLz. :)

A reasonable call (though a difficult one) on the end with the nut no pair. The "Why bet so much?" together with the "Why is he giving all those free cards if he really had a King?" suggests that a busted draw is at least plausible.

Remind me to never try to bluff you any more. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • Please post the next time the guy flips over K7.

He wouldnt push on the river with this hand

I think it was an awesome call, you put him on a hand and stuck with your gut. VNH
  • The field is split!  Half of you think I'm an idiot, the other half think I made a great call.  And one of you thinks I'm a calling station:
    ScottyZ wrote:

Remind me to never try to bluff you any more. :cool:

ScottyZ

C'mon... this was a transparent "missed flush draw" bluff, right?  The only thing I was worried about was that he picked up a pair with his flush draw along the way....   GAMBOOOOOOOOOL!

Of course, I busted out of this tournament after making it quite deep.  And I busted out of the Stars $10+1 after making it quite deep in that one, too.  Yay me.  I am awesome.
    beanie42 wrote:
    Without a read that the villian was a complete moron (which is unlikely being the 3rd hand), there's no way I could make this call. I must admit I'm surprised to see this move considering the sister TT thread :)

I know you're mostly kidding, but there is a big difference between calling off a lot of chips with TT in a multiway pot and calling off a lot of chips with ace high in a heads-up pot vs. what could very well be a missed flush draw.  ;)

Or is there....   the chances of my hand ending up being good is probably pretty close for both situations, even though the situations themselves are very different.  Hmmm.  Now you make me think!  I hate that.
  • all_aces wrote:
    Aces_All: what a call
    Aces_All: tyty

So, have at it.  Is this the dumbest call in the history of calls, or one of the better ones?

Let's see.  Playing poker and talking to yourself on Valentine's Day.  I would say it must be one of the loneliest calls.   :'(

Just teasing, AA...
  • You don't know the half of it.
  • You didn't get into some sort of "It's your fault the camera got stolen" argument did you?