Does this play make sense or am I being an idiot when I do this?

Ok so Im playing a 6 seated sitngo and Im in 2nd with 5 left, and the chipleader only has me covered by about 50 chips.
Im in UTG + 1 and I pick up KK.
The leader is in the SB and in the BB is a super LAG who loves to raise any hand if the action comes around to him unraised.
Ive just recently shown him a successful bluff where I had absolute garbage when I was fairly certain he didnt have a hand, to set him up for just such a situation.

I decide to just call my cowboys, hoping that the SB calls, the LAG raises from the BB and I can come over the top, and after showing down the bluff, he might even call me.
The SB calls, just like I wanted, but then the LAG checks. Hmm ok. Flop comes down all under cards, and damned if the SB doesnt bet out the pot. The blinds are pretty high so reraising him significantly would be almsot like going all-in, so Ijust go all-in. He calls me and flips over his pocket 9s for trips, next two cards are bricks and Im out.

Now heres my take on this play. In this shorthanded game, most of the time there is a preflop raise, which is what Im looking for, add in the LAG and I like the chances. Now in this situation, I think Im going broke no matter what, because the SB isnt letting go of those 9's preflop when were 5 handed.

But still, I wonder if I shouldn't use this play so much, since Im essentially giving a chance for the whole table to see a cheap flop and draw out on me. This is also a play I love to use in situations where its late in a MTT and I know I need some chips. Again, a situation where most of the time there is a preflop raise. So I call waiting for the raise so I can come over the top.

Since Im using this play in situations with a high likelyhood of someone else at the table raising, does it make sense? Or is it just plain stupid to give other players an opportunity to see cheap cards?

Comments

• The shorter the table, the more already in the pot and the later your position, the less sense it makes. If someone makes a big move after the flop it is pretty hard to risk your tourney on an overpair, especially if you don't have too much already invested.

I do make this move once in a while. Sometimes it pays off big, sometimes you bust out and sometimes you don't get any extra chips. It's good to mix up your game once in a while.
  • Sometimes people don't respond the way we have them pegged.
    Trust your instincts and reads..., if most times the LAG raises an unraised pot, then go with it and do what you did, it just didn't work out this time, but it will most of the time.