Another Hand

What would you do? I really regret folding. I bet he had 10's or jacks.

If I was heads up I probably would have called. But with james behind me I was a little worried. I don't like taking queens against two people.

This was the first level of a sng when people are a little crazy.

***** Hand History for Game 681965822 *****
Table Table 11099 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 3: Distand2nd ( $800 )
Seat 7: bjhoops ( $475 )
Seat 8: bak8888 ( $725 )
Seat 2: ehces ( $1350 )
Seat 1: Macadew ( $705 )
Seat 6: James3000 ( $950 )
Seat 5: boppie711 ( $800 )
Seat 9: DUIDad ( $720 )
Seat 10: ImBack999 ( $675 )
Seat 4: pmi6061 ( $800 )
Trny:4235426 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ehces [ Qh Qs ]
Macadew folds.
ehces raises [75].
Congratulations to player damom2 for winning tournament Three Table
Distand2nd folds.
pmi6061 folds.
boppie711 folds.
James3000 raises [135].
bjhoops folds.
bak8888 folds.
DUIDad folds.
ImBack999 is all-In.
ehces folds.
James3000 folds.
ImBack999 does not show cards.
ImBack999 wins 895 chips

Comments

• A good fold I think.

The situation is complicated by the player behind you who is still to act and put in the first re-raise.

You might give more thought to calling here if:

1. It is heads-up, with you last to act.

and

2. You have seen the all-in player *specifically* frequently getting out of line, or being overly aggressive.

Just because players can *generally* be out of line (or, as you say, "crazy") in the early rounds of a SNG, don't let this fool you into making bad calls trying to pick off this sort of behavior in cases where you don't have a read on the individual player in question.

(Yet another reason I often simply move in pre-flop with AA at $5 SNG's myself. To my opponents, I may very well appear to be "just another internet wacko".)

If you're going to get involved in this sort of spot in such an early stage of the tournament, I think you need to feel that you have a good reason to do so, and that you're not just playing a guessing game.

ScottyZ
  • Well, I finished second. Who did I lose to? Well, ImBack999 of course! :evil:

I should of taken him out when I had the chance!

Actually, his play was pretty solid. Which makes me think I made a good laydown early in the tournament.
  • I think it's a good fold. You're probably up against 99-JJ from James, and the big AKsoooooted from ImBack. You don't have too much invested in this pot, so you are by no means committed. You have no idea what James is going to do, and most importantly (in my mind) you don't need a coin-flip situation with your stack. When I have a big stack at the table, I avoid coin-flips like the plague. I find it much more beneficial to wait (because I can afford to) until i have a more discernable edge before I put all or most of my chips in, while using smaller pieces of my stack to stab at more than my fair share of pots. If I'm shortstacked, though, I'd be much more inclined to call here, personally.

But I have pushed all-in with QQ preflop with a big stack, but I was the one doing the pushing, not the calling. And, it was folded to me on the button, so I was hoping it would look like a big old blind steal, and my opponents would undervalue my hand. SB called with AK, and I won the coinflip that I didn't want in the first place. One overcard calling, or a small pocket pair, would have made me a lot more comfortable.

That being said, I have no way of knowing if it would have been a coin-flip with ImBack. But, that would have probably been my guess, and I would have folded, as well. Nice laydown.

Regards,
    all_aces