How do people stay focussed....maybe for GTA, and anyone else....

I have recently started multi-tabling more online. Mostly 1/2 and 2/4 on Party. I was wondering what people do to maintain focus when they are multitabling. Not only do I find it hard to get accurate reads on my opponents, the vast sea of Party players mean that every time I toggle back to a table there are three players I don't recognize.

I find myself basically on autopilot, looking at my cards and making a series of decisions based on, my position, the action before me, etc etc, which we would all be doing anyhow, but I feel like I'm missing a vital piece here, which is especially evident in situations where I find myself heads up in a pot with a player I've learned nothing about.

These 2/4 games on Party are some kind of juicy and I seriously want to extract every dollar I can from them.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Comments

• For me, staying focused is more dependant on my mood and making a decision to play focused (rather than casual). Basically, I have to want to.

However, it sounds like your actually asking how to identify players and make good reads when multi-tabling. I think PokerTracker and a HUD (GameTime+ or PokerAce are the 2 best I think) is the only way, honestly. I can 2-table and continue to read players adequately about 70% of the time. But the other 30%, or once I start a 3rd table, I can't keep track of it anymore. You can download PT and use it for a limited number of hands to try it out, and GameTime+ is free.
  • 1. Detailed player notes.
    2. On Pokerrroom I can tag players with coloured dots that show up in the lobby. I always look for people I have played before.
    3. Pokertracker
  • I usually multi table 5 10, 3 games at the most. I certainly lose some edge at each table, but the overall profit is certainly higher than one table. Let's say I would avg 2 bb/h at one table, I would make around 5/h while 3 tabling. The players are generally so bad at Party and Pacific that I play basic abc poker (I'm playing limit) and do fine. Combine this with tripling my rakeback and it's invariably worth losing some reads here and there. Picking up a game like Omaha 8 would also be helpful, if you find a soft game with greater than 50%/flop then you play only abc poker and easily profit. Definitely get a rakeback at the sites you play. Even a casual player will be getting back a few $100 a month with a good plan.

I used to hate full ring games and focused on 6max holdem games, but I've found that playing several tables actually helps me stay focused as I'm not waiting as long to get into a pot.

I would recommend getting a 1600x1200 res monitor so that you can space out 4 tables without overlap. I find that playing on my laptop that I can't play more than 2 tables successfully due to the overlap. I think there's one on bestbuy right now for $179.

You should also ask harthgosh, I think he currently plays 114 tables at once. :D
  • Poker Tracker + HUD awesome for this.. But don't learn to rely on it to much..

Start by working your way up to more tables.. Play 2 table tell your comforable then try 3..

Another thing you can do is start with one table play for a bit and get a read on guys and take a few notes.. then open the 2nd one.. you can concentrate a little more on the 2nd table as you have reads on the first.. Keep good notes and watch the new players entering your tables.. doesn't take long to read how they play.

Good Luck
  • Multi tabling is easy with the correct set up.

Like 1 poster said, a 1600 x 1200 resolution will work great.

also start slow and work your way, dont just jump into 4 tables.

I can multitable cash games no problem, but tourney's i tend to wanna focus more on the players at my table, opposed to robotic poker I play in cash games.
  • Actually I don't mind multi-tabling MTTs because I find that as soon as I start taking some notes, I get moved to another table anyways. Just one of the reasons I started playing the Party Shoot-outs instead.