What's your longest ever bad streak?

I have been running absolutely AWFUL all year so far...getting rivered...AA/AK/KK/QQ getting whacked by 24o etc...all in tournaments and usually close to 2 or 3 in a row to bust me deep in.

I am going mental...I'm EXPECTING to lose! What should I do?

Bill

Comments

• I had a similar post about 3 weeks ago. I had only been running unlucky for 2 weeks - which actually isnt too bad. Be sure to adjust your play. If you are expecting to get beat dont sign up at the 100 or 200 NL tables - take a break at the 25NL level and rebuild your confidence.

Many people told me to take a break - read a few books.

Unfortunately - with a game every weekend in KW and a fancy laptop (which seems to follow me everywhere) I was never fully removed from poker - so I decided to take a break from Texas. I picked up Omaha and Omaha/8. And in the last 3 weeks I only played Texas once online (The once I got 14 in a 2000 person $5 speed tourney).

I wanted to take a break. But after reading Super 2's section on Omaha I really wanted to try it - I have played very disciplined and it has paid off handsomely.

So I would take the break or drop down a level. Or do what I did, try a different game.

Good luck.
  • IronDoc,

I think you've posted this tilt before. Look back on what you did the last time to right the ship and do it again.

That or take a deep breath. Horrible beat streak's happen. Guys talk about -400BB runs etc. Look at your play,
    drop down a level or two as Tom said and get your groove back.

D
  • This helps I guess:

PokerStars Tournament #19386918, No Limit Hold'em
    Buy-In: $20.00/$2.00
    180 players
    Total Prize Pool: $3600.00
    Tournament started - 2006/02/08 - 10:49:00 (ET)

Dear IronDoc,

You finished the tournament in 3rd place.
    A $428.40 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 178.65 tournament leader points in this tournament.
    For information about our tournament leader board, see our web site at
    http://www.pokerstars.com/tlb_tournament_rankings.html

Congratulations!
    Thank you for participating.
  • That is also an effective way of overcoming a losing streak!!!

Congrats,
  • Thanks T...but I will look into Omaha also...sounds interesting.

Bill
  • 3 years. still going........
  • From August to Nov of last year was the most frustrating bad streak I've ever had. It was just beat after beat after beat...I questioned my ability to play poker every other day.

However I am truly thankful I had such a miserable streak as it has really helped me detach myself emotionally from poker (except for when i win :D) Taking miserable beats now doesn't have the same effect on me it once did. And when the cards aren't going my way, its a lot easier to shrug it off and keep going.
  • My biggest month ever was December and I have followed it with my worst month ever in January. I usually play $5/10 at Brantford and $2/4 online. For the next couple months I am going to hit the books real hard and play lower limits until I recoup re-build my bankroll.

January was a month that I will never forget in terms of dead cards and poor poker decisions.