River question

Another "what would you do on the river" question from me... I gues it's pretty obvious which street I think I have the most trouble with.

NL Texas Hold'em $200 Buy-in  + $15 Entry Fee  Trny:19950170 Level:3 Blinds(25/50) - Tuesday, February 07, 16:14:00 EDT 2006
Table Table  67034 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: GAMBLE711 ( $650 )
Seat 3: SPANFERKELIN ( $1165 )
Seat 4: BROOKLYNBUM ( $510 )
Seat 5: LEORANDOS ( $1015 )
Seat 8: awmahn ( $760 )
Seat 2: tommyt114 ( $960 )
Seat 7: Aces_All ( $1770 )
Seat 10: pritzker ( $1140 )
Seat 6: BennettF3 ( $610 )
Seat 9: KIRKKOLA ( $1420 )
Trny:19950170 Level:3
Blinds(25/50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Aces_All [  Jh Kh ]
SPANFERKELIN folds.
BROOKLYNBUM folds.
LEORANDOS calls [50].
BennettF3 calls [50].
Aces_All calls [50].
awmahn folds.
KIRKKOLA folds.
pritzker folds.
GAMBLE711 calls [25].
tommyt114 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8c, 8d, 9s ]
GAMBLE711 checks.
tommyt114 checks.
LEORANDOS checks.
BennettF3 checks.
Aces_All checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kd ]
GAMBLE711 checks.
tommyt114 checks.
LEORANDOS checks.
BennettF3 checks.
Aces_All bets [200].
GAMBLE711 folds.
tommyt114 calls [200].
LEORANDOS folds.
BennettF3 calls [200].
** Dealing River ** [ 2s ]
tommyt114 checks.
BennettF3 checks.
Aces_All ?

Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• I'd check.

I think when you weigh the odds of everyone missing draws and betting with no callers vs someone check raising a monster a call is the way to go.

The only hand that may pay you off is a worse K, not very likely or someone with a 9, although there was no feeler bet on the flop so not very likely.
  • I would also check. Looking back at the chips stacks of the remaining players, any bet that they would call they would push with. How much do you want to risk? If you bet and they push, will you call? If you check and they push, could you fold easier?
  • he has position, he can't check and get pushed behind
  • I would probably place a bet here. Sure I may be re-raised but I don't think Bennet has anything. The only person I am concerned with is the BB with an 8 and a really nice slow play. Since I don't have a read on any player, I make a bet here.
  • I would probably place a bet here. Sure I may be re-raised but I don't think Bennet has anything. The only person I am concerned with is the BB with an 8 and a really nice slow play. Since I don't have a read on any player, I make a bet here.

so what's the point of a bet, they either fold or raise you
  • I'll check here, probably a classic example that any hands that will call you are hands that will beat you?
  • Check behind. You are losing most of the time if called here.

I wouldn't be too surprised if tommyt114 shows up with a slowplayed 8 from the BB.

This is a good example of a hand where the buy-in matters. You might expect to be able to make a value bet on the river in a smaller stakes SNG.

ScottyZ
  • I check here too. If they don't have you beat they're not going to call the bet, so why risk it?
  • Whew.  Thanks guys.  I thought I was becoming a big river wimp.

Here's the rest of the hand:

Aces_All checks.
    tommyt114 shows [ 7s, Ts ] a pair of eights.
    BennettF3 shows [ 4d, Ad ] a pair of eights.
    Aces_All shows [ Jh, Kh ] two pairs, kings and eights.
    Aces_All wins 850 chips from  the main pot  with two pairs, kings and eights.

My reasoning was that I couldn't put BOTH of my opponents on being fish and calling too much to chase a draw with only one card to come.  And even if they were, a missed draw won't call my bet anyways as has been pointed out.  A missed draw could only fold or come over the top of me and put me to a decision that I might not feel comfortable making.