Funny hand from Brantford.

I was at Brantford yesterday playing 2-5, and generally just enjoying the fact that I didn't have to work for the day. All I really have to report on the day is angry bad beat stories, and other general crap that noone wants to read about. I thought this hand was sort of funny, and decided to post it here.

About 15 minutes into the session, I pick up 4/5 hearts on the button. Don't have much of a read on anyone since it's 2/5. So let's classify the table as "insane". Typically, there are 7-9 players limping in pre flop, so I'm sort of hoping to pick up a lot o hands that look like this one and hope to hit some profitable draws.

Anyhow, back to my 4/5 hearts. I limp behind six other limpers from the button, and both blinds call. flop is 6QQ with two diamonds.

All check to me. I think there is about 7 people in the hand.

I decide to bet.

All but two players fold.

The turn is a Q

All check to me again.

I bet, thinking if I get called here, I'm probably beat by a guy holding a six.

The river is a non diamond 2.

Player before me checks, and I check behind.

I sheepishly turn over my 45 expecting him to show a suited A6 or K6, or even 67.

No, my opponent turns over 57 offsuit, with no diamond. He has seven high, which of course plays on a board of 6QQQ2.

I thought this was the best example of Caro's law of loose wiring I'd seen to date, and reminded me that it really does take all kinds. Certainly wish the rest of the session was that enjoyable.

Cheers

Comments

• If I had bet the flop and turn here, I would surely bet the river heads-up. The opponent will fold many unpaired hands here, almost all of which beat playing the board.

While one could argue either for or against betting the flop and turn in a LPLLHE game in this kind of hand, I think that the river play is a clear bet here.

ScottyZ
  • you're right for sure, and I know it. I was just so sure I was beat here, I just couldn't see any hand he would call on the turn with that he would fold on the river. His call just made no sense to me.

It's a part of my game that needs work. Coming to terms with things that make no sense to me.
  • Right now some guy is posting on another board how at Brantford he called down a guy who was betting out with 4/5 :h: on a flop of 6QQ and won with 7 high. :D
  • His call just made no sense to me.

Get used to it.  Trying to figure out somebody that doesn't know what they're doing themselves is usually pretty tough.  While I agree that bluffing in the first place is almost always a -EV move in LPLLHE, I think that betting the river here is a must (You'll see people that might call down with something like KT hoping to hit their pair, but might not be willing to call the river unpaired).    Being as your hand has no showdown potential playing the board I think you have to bet.  I'd check behind an ace and probably a K kicker, but would consider betting a lesser hand.   Of course if you're really ballsy you might bet an ace high for value if the guy is capable of calling any 2 here...
  • Right now some guy is posting on another board how at Brantford he called down a guy who was betting out with 4/5

I didn't know donkeypokerforum.ca was taken... Interesting... :)
  • Yup... a clear river bet in a LPLLHE game. If it was a LPKLLSHOHL game though, it might be a different story.
  • LPKLLSHOHL

OK, this is acronymity (is that a word?) gone wild. But I'll take a stab: Loose Passive Kinda Low Limit Short Handed Omaha High Low? Or is the K a Kill or something more bizarre?
  • all_aces wrote:
    Yup... a clear river bet in a LPLLHE game.  If it was a LPKLLSHOHL game though, it might be a different story. 

I'm gonan assume this is a joke and have a laugh as well. When Scotty posted the original, it took me a minute to figure it all out. I had to consult my advanced poker guide for speaking in letters, but eventually got it solved.

I'm an old fashioned guy I guess, I like coffee black, and my descriptions in actual words.

Back to the hand for a second, I had won a few pots soon after sitting, and had shown down some very strong hands, after they all checked to me, I certainly thought it reasonable that my betting would well represent the Q, and it did for most. I guess the even bigger lesson here is that I need to bet in the hopes of getting that guy to fold so I don't have to show that crap down. It didn't exactly do wonders for my table image.
  • ...I just couldn't see any hand he would call on the turn with that he would fold on the river.

If you're able to classify an unknown Brantford 2-5 table as "insane", it seems unnatural to assume that your opponent has logical calling standards on the turn.
    Yup... a clear river bet in a LPLLHE game. If it was a LPKLLSHOHL game though, it might be a different story.

Agreed. In the latter case, it's a close decision between betting the river or going for a Pai-Gow.

LPLLHE = Loose Passive Low-Limit HoldEm

ScottyZ
  • I don't know what LPKLLSHOHL is... just thought I'd make this thread as esoteric as possible.

When I wrote it, I was thinking "Loose Passive Kill Low Limit Short Handed Omaha High Low", but I just wanted to confuse people, really. I'm here to help.
  • I guess the even bigger lesson here is that I need to bet in the hopes of getting that guy to fold so I don't have to show that crap down. It didn't exactly do wonders for my table image.

Actually, I think the primary reason to bet the river is to maximize your chances of winning the pot. Generally, your table image should not be a concern in low-limit poker.

Also, although I never said so in my first post, I think the best way to play the entire hand is to call pre-flop, and check (or fold) on every street. Anything more is too fancy for 2-5.

You can't bluff out calling stations, although, this particular hand (if a river bet had been included) would be an exception to that rule. With 7-9 (unclear based on the hand history) players seeing this flop, I wouldn't expect to win it without a showdown.

ScottyZ
  • In all seriousness, I did not expect this post to generate this much serious discussion. My mistakes in the hand are obvious, especially to me. Check and fold is typically the way I would play this hand, and so would anyone else. I bet because noone had, and for two dollars I was interested to see what would happen, consider it the price of my education. I seriously thought that I could take the hand by betting the flop, and then the turn if it was checked to me as well. noone was showing any strength. When I didn't see that happening, I gave up on the hand. I sincerely hoped that my opponent would bet here so I could fold peacefully. My read of the situation was that I was beat, and I was. I was shocked to see by what, but I was beat.

Has noone else ever done this, made a play at a pot, and then given it up when another players call made them believe that they could not win the hand?

Cheers
  • In all seriousness, I did not expect this post to generate this much serious discussion.

Don't look at me... all I'VE done is chime in with a couple of smart-ass remarks.